Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Roland McGrath

Default Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

> Also, the "undefined reference to symbol" error is typical for the 'you
> left it out of the linker line' situation, but "could not read symbols:
> Invalid operation" is not, I've never seen that error before.

This and several other odd-looking things are "normal" cascade errors from
an undefined symbol in various circumstances. If there are other error
messages first, don't worry about the incomprehensible ones until you've
resolved the earlier ones.

> Um. As I said in my email, it's already *in* the linker line. That's why
> I say it's weird.

Show the linking command line in question. (As with all requests for help,
showing the complete command line and all error messages in the very first
report is always the best policy.)

It's possible to have this problem by having the libraries in the wrong
order relative to each other or to .o files that refer to them.

Thanks,
Roland

Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 15:48 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"
>
> Could "Invalid operation" be an error message that corresponds to
> an error from a system call? Apply 'strace' to the link step
> to see what happens shortly before the write() to stderr.

Huh. That's odd. When I run the exact command that was run during the
compile (copy/paste), it succeeds. Makes doing the above a bit hard

Gonna run the build through mock and see what happens...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 16:22 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Also, the "undefined reference to symbol" error is typical for the 'you
> > left it out of the linker line' situation, but "could not read symbols:
> > Invalid operation" is not, I've never seen that error before.
>
> This and several other odd-looking things are "normal" cascade errors from
> an undefined symbol in various circumstances. If there are other error
> messages first, don't worry about the incomprehensible ones until you've
> resolved the earlier ones.

I understand that principle, however, I've hit this situation literally
dozens and dozens of times (I used to package for Mandriva, which made a
very similar linker migration several releases ago) and have seen
'undefined reference to symbol' messages always, but have never seen the
'could not read symbols' error before. Which is why I felt it was
unusual.

> > Um. As I said in my email, it's already *in* the linker line. That's why
> > I say it's weird.
>
> Show the linking command line in question. (As with all requests for help,
> showing the complete command line and all error messages in the very first
> report is always the best policy.)

Knock yourself out:

http://fpaste.org/FnFc/

as I replied to John, though, oddly enough when I re-ran the command
manually, it succeeded. Trying to see if it builds through mock now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 17:27 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 15:48 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > > "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"
> >
> > Could "Invalid operation" be an error message that corresponds to
> > an error from a system call? Apply 'strace' to the link step
> > to see what happens shortly before the write() to stderr.
>
> Huh. That's odd. When I run the exact command that was run during the
> compile (copy/paste), it succeeds. Makes doing the above a bit hard
>
> Gonna run the build through mock and see what happens...

Guh. Same. The build fails, but if I go into the appropriate directory
in the mock buildroot and run the command, it succeeds.

I suppose the build process must be setting some kind of problematic env
var or something along those lines...that doesn't show up in the
command...jeez.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 AM

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 05:27:55PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 15:48 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > > "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"
> >
> > Could "Invalid operation" be an error message that corresponds to
> > an error from a system call? Apply 'strace' to the link step
> > to see what happens shortly before the write() to stderr.
>
> Huh. That's odd. When I run the exact command that was run during the
> compile (copy/paste), it succeeds. Makes doing the above a bit hard
>
> Gonna run the build through mock and see what happens...

That sounds like a SELinux policy issue. Are you getting any AVCs?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Roland McGrath

> Knock yourself out:
>
> http://fpaste.org/FnFc/
>
> as I replied to John, though, oddly enough when I re-ran the command
> manually, it succeeded. Trying to see if it builds through mock now.

Are you sure that's the right command? The ld error mentions
libvo/vo_vaapi.o, but that file name does not appear in the command line.

Also, try adding -v -Wl,-t,-y,vaGetConfigAttributes to the cc command--but
of course that's really only useful when you're modifying a command line
that is verified to reproduce the error.

Thanks,
Roland

Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 21:05 -0400, i.grok@comcast.net wrote:

> > > Could "Invalid operation" be an error message that corresponds to
> > > an error from a system call? Apply 'strace' to the link step
> > > to see what happens shortly before the write() to stderr.
> >
> > Huh. That's odd. When I run the exact command that was run during the
> > compile (copy/paste), it succeeds. Makes doing the above a bit hard
> >
> > Gonna run the build through mock and see what happens...
>
> That sounds like a SELinux policy issue. Are you getting any AVCs?

Nope, nothing pops up. I'll try it with permissive, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 18:31 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Knock yourself out:
> >
> > http://fpaste.org/FnFc/
> >
> > as I replied to John, though, oddly enough when I re-ran the command
> > manually, it succeeded. Trying to see if it builds through mock now.
>
> Are you sure that's the right command? The ld error mentions
> libvo/vo_vaapi.o, but that file name does not appear in the command line.

Erf. You may be onto something there. It's the command that comes right
before the error, but of course it's a parallel build. I'll check.

> Also, try adding -v -Wl,-t,-y,vaGetConfigAttributes to the cc command--but
> of course that's really only useful when you're modifying a command line
> that is verified to reproduce the error.

Will do, thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 19:24 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 18:31 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > > Knock yourself out:
> > >
> > > http://fpaste.org/FnFc/
> > >
> > > as I replied to John, though, oddly enough when I re-ran the command
> > > manually, it succeeded. Trying to see if it builds through mock now.
> >
> > Are you sure that's the right command? The ld error mentions
> > libvo/vo_vaapi.o, but that file name does not appear in the command line.
>
> Erf. You may be onto something there. It's the command that comes right
> before the error, but of course it's a parallel build. I'll check.

Gack, well I feel dumb - I just forgot it was a parallel build and it
might actually be an error from a different command. Doing the build
without -j shows it's a different command failing, that one has -lva-x11
and -lva-glx but not -lva . With all three, the command succeeds. D'oh!
Thanks for the reminder.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 AM
John Reiser

>>/usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

> It's a different command failing, that one has -lva-x11
> and -lva-glx but not -lva . With all three, the command succeeds. D'oh!

Please remember to file a bug report against binutils. You've identified
a reproducible error in /usr/bin/ld: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"
that may well confound someone else soon. Yes, that error may occur
during what already is "error recovery", but such cascaded errors
often reveal significant holes in application logic.