FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

Hitting an odd error during a build that I've never seen before today,
looks like something to do with recent linker changes.

I maintain a side repo with an mplayer build with VA-API support, so I
rebuild that quite often. If I try and build it on F13 currently, I get
this when linking:

/usr/bin/ld: libvo/vo_vaapi.o: undefined reference to symbol 'vaGetConfigAttributes'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'vaGetConfigAttributes' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

Left out the cc command as it's *huge*, but it does include -lva .
Building the same .src.rpm for F12, using mock, works fine. The libva
used in both cases is the same code, built from the same .src.rpm .

What's different in F13 that causes this to fail? How do I fix it?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Roland Grunberg
 
Default Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

>/usr/bin/ld: libvo/vo_vaapi.o: undefined reference to symbol 'vaGetConfigAttributes'
>/usr/bin/ld: note: 'vaGetConfigAttributes' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
>/usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

>What's different in F13 that causes this to fail? How do I fix it?

This is due to a fix in the way ld does linking which is outlined
here : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking

There's an example of how to go about fixing this here :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange

In your case the solution would be to add libva to the linker line.

--
Roland Grunberg
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 17:45 -0400, Roland Grunberg wrote:
> >/usr/bin/ld: libvo/vo_vaapi.o: undefined reference to symbol 'vaGetConfigAttributes'
> >/usr/bin/ld: note: 'vaGetConfigAttributes' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
> >/usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
>
> >What's different in F13 that causes this to fail? How do I fix it?
>
> This is due to a fix in the way ld does linking which is outlined
> here : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking
>
> There's an example of how to go about fixing this here :
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange
>
> In your case the solution would be to add libva to the linker line.

Um. As I said in my email, it's already *in* the linker line. That's why
I say it's weird.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 14:51 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 17:45 -0400, Roland Grunberg wrote:
> > >/usr/bin/ld: libvo/vo_vaapi.o: undefined reference to symbol 'vaGetConfigAttributes'
> > >/usr/bin/ld: note: 'vaGetConfigAttributes' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
> > >/usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
> >
> > >What's different in F13 that causes this to fail? How do I fix it?
> >
> > This is due to a fix in the way ld does linking which is outlined
> > here : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking
> >
> > There's an example of how to go about fixing this here :
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange
> >
> > In your case the solution would be to add libva to the linker line.
>
> Um. As I said in my email, it's already *in* the linker line. That's why
> I say it's weird.

Also, the "undefined reference to symbol" error is typical for the 'you
left it out of the linker line' situation, but "could not read symbols:
Invalid operation" is not, I've never seen that error before.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM
John Reiser
 
Default Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

> "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

Could "Invalid operation" be an error message that corresponds to
an error from a system call? Apply 'strace' to the link step
to see what happens shortly before the write() to stderr.

--
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org