Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Patrice Dumas

Default use defoma in fedora?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:54:51PM -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
> Discussing this with a debian maintainer he told me
>
> > about defoma, a debian package which is used to register fonts and
> > provide fonts for all the applications, for fonts not handled by
> > fontconfig or applications not using fontconfig. Would it be a good idea
> > to try to have something similar in fedora or is it a wrong direction?<https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list>
> >

> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
>
> Defoma is the reason I stopped using anything Debian-based. The theory is
> good, but defoma frequently forgets where fonts are installed, which leads
> to the X server puking on startup and other major problems.

Hum I wouldn't have expected the X server to have anything to do with
defoma. At least it is certainly unuseful in fedora. I would see it
useful for postrscript and type1 fonts.

Is there something fundamentaly broken in defoma, or is it a bug you are
describing?

In any case it is a interesting information.

--
Pat

Old 01-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-01-10, 20:04 GMT, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Hum I wouldn't have expected the X server to have anything to
> do with defoma. At least it is certainly unuseful in fedora.
> I would see it useful for postrscript and type1 fonts.

What's wrong with fontconfig? Besides, of course, that defoma has
(in Debian) all to do with X server (which can use Type1 fonts
pretty well, thank you).

Matěj

Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:11:57PM +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-01-10, 20:04 GMT, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Hum I wouldn't have expected the X server to have anything to
> > do with defoma. At least it is certainly unuseful in fedora.
> > I would see it useful for postrscript and type1 fonts.
>
> What's wrong with fontconfig?

Nothing. But it seems to me that the applications I cited, grace, xglyph
and xdvi don't use fontconfig.

> Besides, of course, that defoma has
> (in Debian) all to do with X server (which can use Type1 fonts
> pretty well, thank you).

But in fedora there is no need for something along defoma to have the X
server using Type1 fonts.

I think that using something along defoma would be useful for packages
that don't use fontconfig and still have a way to use a list of fonts.
So it wouldn't be for X, gnome/kde/openoffice, but for other applications
that don't use fontconfig.

It may also happen that it would be better to port t1lib to use
fontconfig to find the font files.

--
Pat

Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le vendredi 11 janvier 2008 16:03 +0100, Patrice Dumas a crit :
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:11:57PM +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> > On 2008-01-10, 20:04 GMT, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > > Hum I wouldn't have expected the X server to have anything to
> > > do with defoma. At least it is certainly unuseful in fedora.
> > > I would see it useful for postrscript and type1 fonts.
> >
> > What's wrong with fontconfig?
>
> Nothing. But it seems to me that the applications I cited, grace, xglyph
> and xdvi don't use fontconfig.

Old stuff will be kept forever of course but you should be aware that
all the entities that used to release Type1 fonts have migrated to OTF
as their preferred non-TTF format lately. So Type1 fonts are going to be
increasingly sparse in the future, and upgrading the font backend if
those apps is a good idea.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Kelly Miller

Patrice Dumas wrote:
Is there something fundamentaly broken in defoma, or is it a bug you are
describing?
I don't know which it is. I do know, however, I was able to repeatedly
reproduce it, using different versions of both regular Debian and
Debian-based systems (Ubuntu, LinuxMint, even Freespire once), over a
period of about two years. As I said, it's the primary reason I stopped
using Debian-based systems altogether and switched permanently to a
combination of Fedora and PCLinuxOS (for those who need something simpler).