Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Richard Hughes

Default DeviceKit-power has been renamed to upower

As some of you may know, DeviceKit-power has been renamed to upower.
If you depend on the former, you need to change your rawhide spec
files to depend on the latter. DeviceKit-power will cease to be a
package in devel in a few minutes.

I've not made any changes to F13 branches, as it's too close to
release time for this sort of change. If your project is using
devkit-power-gobject, you can still keep using this, although upower
will only provide this compatibility library for another few months,
and applications are urged to move to libupower as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Richard.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 15:17:20 +0000,
Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
> As some of you may know, DeviceKit-power has been renamed to upower.
> If you depend on the former, you need to change your rawhide spec
> files to depend on the latter. DeviceKit-power will cease to be a
> package in devel in a few minutes.

Is there some reason you aren't doing a provides for the old name so that
things still work? (And presumably an obsoletes as well.)

See: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines#Renaming.2Freplacing_exist ing_packages

Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Richard Hughes

On 15 March 2010 15:38, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 15:17:20 +0000,
> *Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As some of you may know, DeviceKit-power has been renamed to upower.
>> If you depend on the former, you need to change your rawhide spec
>> files to depend on the latter. DeviceKit-power will cease to be a
>> package in devel in a few minutes.
>
> Is there some reason you aren't doing a provides for the old name so that
> things still work? (And presumably an obsoletes as well.)

I'm doing an obsoletes, but I would rather people feel the pain of
having to update the spec files now (early in the F14 cycle) rather
than when we remove the compatibility provides in over a years time,
and when nobody remembers what the new name is.

Richard.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Kevin Kofler

Richard Hughes wrote:
> I'm doing an obsoletes, but I would rather people feel the pain of
> having to update the spec files now (early in the F14 cycle) rather
> than when we remove the compatibility provides in over a years time,
> and when nobody remembers what the new name is.

So you just never remove the compatibility Provides? Problem solved.

Kevin Kofler