Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Patrice Dumas

Default Dropping Base X group?

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:10:53PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrice Dumas <pertusus <at> free.fr> writes:
> > I am a small desktop user. For the display managers, there are wdm,
> > xdm and slim (but they lack integration with consolekit). For the
>
> I think my KDM ConsoleKit patch should be fairly easy to adapt to any
> XDM-derived display manager, as KDM is also derived from XDM. The only caveat

I have looked at both and, even though maybe kdm is derived from xdm
they have diverged too much. Using libck-connector allows to achieve what
the kdm consolekit does, however. And there is an equivalent of
d->serverVT in xdm which would allow to set the X display device like

sprintf(device, "/dev/tty%d", d->serverVT);

However doing things like that seems very odd and non portable to me. In
fact there is no reason why the display manager would know the X display
device since X is all about hiding the hardware. I am currently
discussing that with the xdm upstream maintainer, did you contact the
kde upstream for the patch inclusion?

--
Pat