-   -   Few additions to Bodhi (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/340920-few-additions-bodhi.html)

Peter Lemenkov 03-13-2010 06:08 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

Hello All!

Being bored to copy latest %changelog entry from spec-file to
"Details" field every time, I started wondering - why not to add the
following functionality to Bodhi:

* Automatically add latest %changelog entry to each Bodhi update as
"Notes" or as something else (new field, perhaps).

And the second proposal

* remove already processed updates from drop down box - sometimes it's
really long. And/or sort it desceding (newly build packages on top).

What do you think?
--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Rahul Sundaram 03-14-2010 07:19 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

On 03/13/2010 12:38 PM, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Being bored to copy latest %changelog entry from spec-file to
> "Details" field every time, I started wondering - why not to add the
> following functionality to Bodhi:
>
> * Automatically add latest %changelog entry to each Bodhi update as
> "Notes" or as something else (new field, perhaps).

Changelog entry is different from updates notes. The former describes
the change in the spec file for developers. The latter describes the
change in software for users.

Rahul

Mathieu Bridon 03-14-2010 09:05 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:08, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> * remove already processed updates from drop down box - sometimes it's
> really long. And/or sort it desceding (newly build packages on top).

Yeah, you're right. Could you please file a ticket so we don't forget it?

Kevin Kofler 03-16-2010 05:05 PM

Few additions to Bodhi

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> * Automatically add latest %changelog entry to each Bodhi update as
> "Notes" or as something else (new field, perhaps).

The changelog information is already provided in the update detail metadata,
gnome-packagekit displays it as update notes if you don't fill in any actual
update notes, KPackageKit even always displays it.

Kevin Kofler

Thomas Spura 03-18-2010 04:07 PM

Few additions to Bodhi

Am Dienstag, den 16.03.2010, 19:05 +0100 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> > * Automatically add latest %changelog entry to each Bodhi update as
> > "Notes" or as something else (new field, perhaps).
>
> The changelog information is already provided in the update detail metadata,
> gnome-packagekit displays it as update notes if you don't fill in any actual
> update notes, KPackageKit even always displays it.

KPackageKit != Bodhi:

When you use fedora-easy-karma or the updates site to provide testing
feedback, it would be nice to have such a %changelog field, *expecially*
if there are no updates notes shipped with the package. In this case it
would be absolutely nessesary to have at least the changelog as notes
there (if not getting the extra field).

Thomas

Mathieu Bridon 03-19-2010 09:33 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 18:07, Thomas Spura
<spurath@students.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 16.03.2010, 19:05 +0100 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
>> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>> > * Automatically add latest %changelog entry to each Bodhi update as
>> > "Notes" or as something else (new field, perhaps).
>>
>> The changelog information is already provided in the update detail metadata,
>> gnome-packagekit displays it as update notes if you don't fill in any actual
>> update notes, KPackageKit even always displays it.
>
> KPackageKit != Bodhi:
>
> When you use fedora-easy-karma or the updates site to provide testing
> feedback, it would be nice to have such a %changelog field, *expecially*
> if there are no updates notes shipped with the package. In this case it
> would be absolutely nessesary to have at least the changelog as notes
> there (if not getting the extra field).

Or maybe package maintainers could write decent update notes?

I don't know, maybe that's just a crazy idea... ;)

Thomas Spura 03-19-2010 09:59 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

Am Freitag, den 19.03.2010, 11:33 +0100 schrieb Mathieu Bridon:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 18:07, Thomas Spura
> <spurath@students.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> The changelog information is already provided in the update detail metadata,
> >> gnome-packagekit displays it as update notes if you don't fill in any actual
> >> update notes, KPackageKit even always displays it.
> >
> > KPackageKit != Bodhi:
> >
> > When you use fedora-easy-karma or the updates site to provide testing
> > feedback, it would be nice to have such a %changelog field, *expecially*
> > if there are no updates notes shipped with the package. In this case it
> > would be absolutely nessesary to have at least the changelog as notes
> > there (if not getting the extra field).
>
> Or maybe package maintainers could write decent update notes?
>
> I don't know, maybe that's just a crazy idea... ;)

Sure, but they don't have to and so some don't do that... :(
And some of them might think, the changelog says enought, so I don't
write it there (because that would just be copy&paste).

When there are no notes and the changelog is then showing up, then they
at least think right...

Kevin Kofler 03-20-2010 05:20 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

Thomas Spura wrote:
> KPackageKit != Bodhi:
>
> When you use fedora-easy-karma or the updates site to provide testing
> feedback, it would be nice to have such a %changelog field, *expecially*
> if there are no updates notes shipped with the package. In this case it
> would be absolutely nessesary to have at least the changelog as notes
> there (if not getting the extra field).

On https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/ , there's a Builds: field for
each update, click on one of the builds to get to its Koji build page which
also contains changelog info. Changelog info is per SRPM, not per update
group, so it can't really be done any faster, you need to select the SRPM
you want to view updates for. (You'll notice that for grouped updates, the
PackageKit frontends will display different changelogs depending on which
package from the group you're viewing the details for.)

As for fedora-easy-karma, the script just needs to add the required Koji or
yum/repoquery queries, that doesn't have to be done on the server end at
all.

Kevin Kofler

Thomas Spura 03-20-2010 09:23 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

Am Samstag, den 20.03.2010, 07:20 +0100 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> Thomas Spura wrote:
> > KPackageKit != Bodhi:
> >
> > When you use fedora-easy-karma or the updates site to provide testing
> > feedback, it would be nice to have such a %changelog field, *expecially*
> > if there are no updates notes shipped with the package. In this case it
> > would be absolutely nessesary to have at least the changelog as notes
> > there (if not getting the extra field).
>
> On https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/ , there's a Builds: field for
> each update, click on one of the builds to get to its Koji build page which
> also contains changelog info. Changelog info is per SRPM, not per update
> group, so it can't really be done any faster, you need to select the SRPM
> you want to view updates for. (You'll notice that for grouped updates, the
> PackageKit frontends will display different changelogs depending on which
> package from the group you're viewing the details for.)
>
> As for fedora-easy-karma, the script just needs to add the required Koji or
> yum/repoquery queries, that doesn't have to be done on the server end at
> all.

That doesn't solve the lack of notes in bodhi. When bodhi greps them,
they propagate anywhere else so there is no double work to do e.g. in
fedora-easy-karma or some "?PackageKit" and so on and nobody needs to
click throught koji (The builds field contains a search pattern, which
means this would save some traffic in koji, too.).

Kevin Kofler 03-26-2010 05:03 AM

Few additions to Bodhi

Thomas Spura wrote:
> That doesn't solve the lack of notes in bodhi. When bodhi greps them,
> they propagate anywhere else so there is no double work to do e.g. in
> fedora-easy-karma or some "?PackageKit" and so on and nobody needs to
> click throught koji (The builds field contains a search pattern, which
> means this would save some traffic in koji, too.).

Again, changelogs are per build/SRPM, not per update. An update can be a
group of several builds. So it doesn't make sense to put changelog info
directly into the update info.

The info is already out there, it's the tools' job to fetch it, not Bodhi's.

Kevin Kofler