Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Michal Nowak

Default Gold timings

----- "Ian Lance Taylor" <iant@google.com> wrote:

> Hi, Tom Tromey pointed me at your message
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-March/133039.html

Hi Ian.

> I was curious what you are timing when you compare ld and gold. Is
> that the total time that it takes to build the package, or just the
> time that the linker runs?

You may be familiar with Mock which builds source RPMs in chroot. Mock
prepares build root (e.g. fedora-12-x86_64), installs BuildRequires,
and builds given SRPM. Such a build should be repeatable. What is done
is that run of this `mock' process is timed -- bad thing obviously here
is that the build time includes part which is not related to build itself
(i.e. build root preparation, package installation), however good is that
the unrelated time is pretty much constant among runs.

If anyone knows hot to measure just the build time, I'd be glad to know.

> As you mention, xulrunner and thunderbird are much slower, which is
> rather odd and completely contrary to my own testing. Do you know if
> those builds use linker scripts? Do you have the build logs?

Unfortunately logs are gone with my yesterday's reinstall. However I am
building xulrunner and thunderbird right now on different box. Will let
you know till Monday.

No idea about the linking script since logs are gone.

Dualcore, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5110 @ 1.60GHz, 2GB RAM, 4GB swap.

> I'd certainly like to get to the bottom of any cases where gold is
> significantly slower than GNU ld.

> Thanks.
>
> Ian

Michal

Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Michal Nowak

----- "Michal Nowak" <mnowak@redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Ian Lance Taylor" <iant@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Tom Tromey pointed me at your message
> >
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-March/133039.html
>
> Hi Ian.
>
> > I was curious what you are timing when you compare ld and gold. Is
> > that the total time that it takes to build the package, or just the
> > time that the linker runs?
>
> You may be familiar with Mock which builds source RPMs in chroot. Mock
>
> prepares build root (e.g. fedora-12-x86_64), installs BuildRequires,
> and builds given SRPM. Such a build should be repeatable. What is
> done
> is that run of this `mock' process is timed -- bad thing obviously
> here
> is that the build time includes part which is not related to build
> itself
> (i.e. build root preparation, package installation), however good is
> that
> the unrelated time is pretty much constant among runs.
>
> If anyone knows hot to measure just the build time, I'd be glad to
> know.
>
> > As you mention, xulrunner and thunderbird are much slower, which is
> > rather odd and completely contrary to my own testing. Do you know
> if
> > those builds use linker scripts? Do you have the build logs?
>
> Unfortunately logs are gone with my yesterday's reinstall. However I
> am
> building xulrunner and thunderbird right now on different box. Will
> let
> you know till Monday.
>
> No idea about the linking script since logs are gone.
>
> > Also, what sort of machine were you running this on, and how much
> RAM
> > did it have?
>
> Dualcore, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5110 @ 1.60GHz, 2GB RAM, 4GB swap.

Ian -

> > I'd certainly like to get to the bottom of any cases where gold is
> > significantly slower than GNU ld.

Run with gold was run first, build root was cleared afterwards and
run with ld was run then. gold seems to be way slower.

GNU GOLD
========

[ PACKAGES xulrunner thunderbird REBUILD ]
ld: CVS snapshot from date: 20100312
gcc: gcc-4.4.3-4.fc12 (likely, just a guess)
kernel: Linux <BLANK> 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 3 04:40:41 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux (from this machine)

[1/2]
Package: xulrunner-1.9.1.8-1.fc12
Time: 18:27.26
Size: 67M

[2/2]
Package: thunderbird-3.0.3-1.fc12
Time: 15:55.48
Size: 89M

TOTAL: 2 PASS: 2 FAIL: 0

GNU ld
======

[ PACKAGES xulrunner thunderbird REBUILD ]
ld: binutils-2.19.51.0.14-37.fc12 (likely, just a guess)
gcc: gcc-4.4.3-4.fc12 (likely, just a guess)
kernel: Linux <BLANK> 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 3 04:40:41 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux (from this machine)

[1/2]
Package: xulrunner-1.9.1.8-1.fc12
Time: 10:00.12
Size: 66M

[2/2]
Package: thunderbird-3.0.3-1.fc12
Time: 9:37.08
Size: 87M

TOTAL: 2 PASS: 2 FAIL: 0

Here are the logs: http://people.redhat.com/psklenar/pub/

Michal

Old 03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
John5342

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 13:40, Michal Nowak <mnowak@redhat.com> wrote:
> Run with gold was run first, build root was cleared afterwards and
> run with ld was run then. gold seems to be way slower.

May seem silly but where does the ccache live for mock builds and if
it is outside the buildroot was it cleared too?

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...

Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Michal Nowak

----- "John5342" <john5342@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 13:40, Michal Nowak <mnowak@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > Run with gold was run first, build root was cleared afterwards and
> > run with ld was run then. gold seems to be way slower.
>
> May seem silly but where does the ccache live for mock builds and if
> it is outside the buildroot was it cleared too?

Good point. /var/cache/mock/fedora-12-x86_64/ccache/ holds some data.
So I guess it's *the* (c)cache. And I was not cleaning it... Perhaps
there's option to clean ccache in Mock?

Will re-run the tests.

Michal

Old 03-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Michal Nowak

----- "Michal Nowak" <mnowak@redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "John5342" <john5342@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 13:40, Michal Nowak <mnowak@redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Run with gold was run first, build root was cleared afterwards
> and
> > > run with ld was run then. gold seems to be way slower.
> >
> > May seem silly but where does the ccache live for mock builds and
> if
> > it is outside the buildroot was it cleared too?
>
> Good point. /var/cache/mock/fedora-12-x86_64/ccache/ holds some data.
> So I guess it's *the* (c)cache. And I was not cleaning it... Perhaps
> there's option to clean ccache in Mock?
>
> Will re-run the tests.

So, ld and gold are comparable regarding timing.

[ PACKAGES xulrunner thunderbird REBUILD ]
ld: binutils-2.19.51.0.14-37.fc12 (likely, just a guess)
gcc: gcc-4.4.3-4.fc12 (likely, just a guess)
kernel: Linux intel-sdp-01.rhts.englab.brq.redhat.com 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 3 04:40:41 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux (from this machine)

[1/2]
Package: xulrunner-1.9.1.8-1.fc12
Time: 18:50.61
Size: 66M