Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default POSTUN scriptlet failure in rpm package cyrus-sasl

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 04:35:13PM +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 10:04 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > """
> > We never remove users or groups created by packages. There's no sane way to
> > check if files owned by those users/groups are left behind (and even if
> > there would, what would we do to them?), and leaving those behind with
> > ownerships pointing to now nonexistent users/groups may result in security
> > issues when a semantically unrelated user/group is created later and reuses
> > the UID/GID. Also, in some setups deleting the user/group might not be
> > possible or/nor desirable (eg. when using a shared remote user/group
> > database). Cleanup of unused users/groups is left to the system
> > administrators to take care of if they so desire.
> > """
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:UsersAndGroups
> >
> > I've updated bugzilla with this information as well.
>
> Someone should perhaps correct the
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserCreation then.
>
> Or add some rules on how to resolve conflicts among the current rules.
> (I'm joking.)

So this is interesting. That page is not a Packaging Guideline. You can
tell because it's not Packaging:UserCreation.

The FPC is aware that the page exists but pretty much left it alone as it
documents a program, fedora-usermgmt, that Enrico Scholz wrote to solve
issues with user creation in the way that he thought best. However, if it's
causing confusion we should definitely make some sort of change. What
should that be?

* Put a large admonition at the top that says "I am not a Packaging
Guideline" and point to the packaging guideline page for user creation.
* Remove the page
* Have the FPC vote whether use of fedora-usermgmt is disallowed and remove
the page if so
* Rename the page
* Someone works on the text of the page to make it clear that it's only
documenting the fedora-usermgmt application, not something written into
the packaging guidelines.
* Update the page to remove the userdel and groupdel portions.

What combination of the above seems most suitable to people?

-Toshio

Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Bill Nottingham

Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger@gmail.com) said:
> The FPC is aware that the page exists but pretty much left it alone as it
> documents a program, fedora-usermgmt, that Enrico Scholz wrote to solve
> issues with user creation in the way that he thought best. However, if it's
> causing confusion we should definitely make some sort of change. What
> should that be?

> * Put a large admonition at the top that says "I am not a Packaging
> Guideline" and point to the packaging guideline page for user creation.
> * Remove the page
> * Have the FPC vote whether use of fedora-usermgmt is disallowed and remove
> the page if so
> * Rename the page
> * Someone works on the text of the page to make it clear that it's only
> documenting the fedora-usermgmt application, not something written into
> the packaging guidelines.
> * Update the page to remove the userdel and groupdel portions.
>
> What combination of the above seems most suitable to people?

The first item I think is the obvious change; the page can be renamed if
people really find it's confusing. Putting fedora-usermgmt before FPC
would be a separate item.

Bill

Old 03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Enrico Scholz

Tomas Mraz <tmraz@redhat.com> writes:

>> We never remove users or groups created by packages.
>
> Someone should perhaps correct the
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserCreation then.

fwiw, %__fe_userdel + %__fe_groupdel evaluate to a noop in rawhide
(unless, '--with fedora_userdel' is set).

Enrico

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:35:55AM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger@gmail.com) said:
> > * Put a large admonition at the top that says "I am not a Packaging
> > Guideline" and point to the packaging guideline page for user creation.
> > * Remove the page
> > * Have the FPC vote whether use of fedora-usermgmt is disallowed and remove
> > the page if so
> > * Rename the page
> > * Someone works on the text of the page to make it clear that it's only
> > documenting the fedora-usermgmt application, not something written into
> > the packaging guidelines.
> > * Update the page to remove the userdel and groupdel portions.
> >
> > What combination of the above seems most suitable to people?
>
> The first item I think is the obvious change;

Done. If people still find it confusing we'll progress to renaming or FPC.

-Toshio