Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Mike Chambers

Default Hard drive spec change

Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
just saw an article about this today. Are we (linux as a whole) ready
for this or getting ready, or already using it? And If we bought a new
hd, via sata in my case within past year or newer computer in past year,
are we using the new 4kb sectors now or just able to handle it?

Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Felix Miata

On 2010/03/10 15:22 (GMT-0600) Mike Chambers composed:

> Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
> just saw an article about this today. Are we (linux as a whole) ready
> for this or getting ready, or already using it?

The change is for the benefit of manufacturers, not users. Readiness is only
spotty. The discussion has been extensive and ongoing on the linux-ide
mailing list.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Tomasz Torcz

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:22:13PM -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
> just saw an article about this today. Are we (linux as a whole) ready
> for this or getting ready, or already using it? And If we bought a new
> hd, via sata in my case within past year or newer computer in past year,
> are we using the new 4kb sectors now or just able to handle it?

It got some discussion when first 4KiB drives shipped to customers
last year. Also, LWN has excellent (as usual) writeup on the matter:
http://lwn.net/Articles/377895/ . If you need access to this article,
please drop me an email.

--
Tomasz Torcz "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl "God is more forgiving."

Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Eric Sandeen

Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
> just saw an article about this today. Are we (linux as a whole) ready
> for this or getting ready, or already using it? And If we bought a new
> hd, via sata in my case within past year or newer computer in past year,
> are we using the new 4kb sectors now or just able to handle it?

There has been a lot of work upstream on 4k sector support, and in general
yes, we are ready.

-Eric

Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Peter Jones

On 03/10/2010 04:22 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
> just saw an article about this today. Are we (linux as a whole) ready
> for this or getting ready, or already using it? And If we bought a new
> hd, via sata in my case within past year or newer computer in past year,
> are we using the new 4kb sectors now or just able to handle it?

We've been working on install and boot support for this for a while now.

--
Peter

In computing, turning the obvious into the useful is a living
definition of the word "frustration"
-- Alan Perlis

Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Ric Wheeler

On 03/10/2010 04:30 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/03/10 15:22 (GMT-0600) Mike Chambers composed:
>

>> Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
>> just saw an article about this today. Are we (linux as a whole) ready
>> for this or getting ready, or already using it?

> The change is for the benefit of manufacturers, not users. Readiness is only
> spotty. The discussion has been extensive and ongoing on the linux-ide
> mailing list.

Users do benefit as well - more capacity per platter specifically is one
obvious win.

ric

Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Felix Miata

On 2010/03/10 17:09 (GMT-0500) Ric Wheeler composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> The change is for the benefit of manufacturers, not users. Readiness is only
>> spotty. The discussion has been extensive and ongoing on the linux-ide
>> mailing list.

> Users do benefit as well - more capacity per platter specifically is one
> obvious win.

Some users, yes, those with unfathomable storage capacity requirements,
saving every byte ever encountered without regard for its utility. For those
with more common needs, the compatibility cost outweighs the purported
benefits. Most users don't even need 1/10 of .2TiB, much less the 2TiB at
which larger than 512 byte sectors might start looking sane in cost/benefit
analysis.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Eric Sandeen

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/03/10 17:09 (GMT-0500) Ric Wheeler composed:
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> The change is for the benefit of manufacturers, not users. Readiness is only
>>> spotty. The discussion has been extensive and ongoing on the linux-ide
>>> mailing list.
>
>> Users do benefit as well - more capacity per platter specifically is one
>> obvious win.
>
> Some users, yes, those with unfathomable storage capacity requirements,
> saving every byte ever encountered without regard for its utility. For those
> with more common needs, the compatibility cost outweighs the purported
> benefits. Most users don't even need 1/10 of .2TiB, much less the 2TiB at
> which larger than 512 byte sectors might start looking sane in cost/benefit
> analysis.

And yet they snap up said drives at under $200 a pop....

I'm not sure this a fight you will win.

-Eric

Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Adam Jackson

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 17:28 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/03/10 17:09 (GMT-0500) Ric Wheeler composed:
>
> > Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> The change is for the benefit of manufacturers, not users. Readiness is only
> >> spotty. The discussion has been extensive and ongoing on the linux-ide
> >> mailing list.
>
> > Users do benefit as well - more capacity per platter specifically is one
> > obvious win.
>
> Some users, yes, those with unfathomable storage capacity requirements,
> saving every byte ever encountered without regard for its utility. For those
> with more common needs, the compatibility cost outweighs the purported
> benefits. Most users don't even need 1/10 of .2TiB, much less the 2TiB at
> which larger than 512 byte sectors might start looking sane in cost/benefit
> analysis.

Spoken like someone who has never used usenet.

- ajax

Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Peter Jones

On 03/10/2010 05:28 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/03/10 17:09 (GMT-0500) Ric Wheeler composed:
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> The change is for the benefit of manufacturers, not users. Readiness is only
>>> spotty. The discussion has been extensive and ongoing on the linux-ide
>>> mailing list.
>
>> Users do benefit as well - more capacity per platter specifically is one
>> obvious win.
>
> Some users, yes, those with unfathomable storage capacity requirements,
> saving every byte ever encountered without regard for its utility. For those
> with more common needs, the compatibility cost outweighs the purported
> benefits. Most users don't even need 1/10 of .2TiB, much less the 2TiB at
> which larger than 512 byte sectors might start looking sane in cost/benefit
> analysis.

Note also that the access time will be slightly faster.