Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Karel Klic

Default gdbm soname change in Rawhide, package rebuild needed

A newer version of gdbm (1.8.0->1.8.3) has been pushed into rawhide
(devel) branch. This version changes libgdbm soname, so all packages
using gdbm _must be rebuilt_.

The soname change is needed as the new version moves dbm and ndbm
routines to separate library gdbm_compat.

The new version fixes a memory leak. I also added some fixes from Debian
preventing uninitialized memory contents to be stored in databases and
fixing potential database read failures.

Affected packages: (maintainers are CCed)
am-utils
avahi
clisp
compat-python24
freeradius
fsvs
gauche
gnu-smalltalk
jpilot-backup
lighttpd
Macaulay2
maildrop
mt-daapd
ntop
ocaml
OpenIPMI
parrot
perl
perl-eperl
perl-XML-LibXSLT
pulseaudio
python
qfaxreader
qsf
ruby
snobol
tcl-thread
vacation

Thanks.

Best regards,
Karel

Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 18:25 +0100, Karel Klic wrote:
> A newer version of gdbm (1.8.0->1.8.3) has been pushed into rawhide
> (devel) branch. This version changes libgdbm soname, so all packages
> using gdbm _must be rebuilt_.
>
> The soname change is needed as the new version moves dbm and ndbm
> routines to separate library gdbm_compat.
>
> The new version fixes a memory leak. I also added some fixes from Debian
> preventing uninitialized memory contents to be stored in databases and
> fixing potential database read failures.

Since buildroots are broken once this change gets into the build roots,
I'm working on the perl and python rebuilds so that others can get
going.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Jesse Keating

> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 18:25 +0100, Karel Klic wrote:
> > A newer version of gdbm (1.8.0->1.8.3) has been pushed into rawhide
> > (devel) branch. This version changes libgdbm soname, so all packages
> > using gdbm _must be rebuilt_.
> >
> > The soname change is needed as the new version moves dbm and ndbm
> > routines to separate library gdbm_compat.
> >
> > The new version fixes a memory leak. I also added some fixes from Debian
> > preventing uninitialized memory contents to be stored in databases and
> > fixing potential database read failures.
>
> Since buildroots are broken once this change gets into the build roots,
> I'm working on the perl and python rebuilds so that others can get
> going.

On second thought, this isn't going to work, as perl is part of the
build group which we install into every buildroot, and we can't install
it due to gdbm missing deps. We'll have to introduce a compat-gbdm
temporarily to get perl/python et al rebuilt. We are untagging the new
gdbm in the mean time.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Karel Klic

Dne 10.3.2010 19:14, Jesse Keating napsal(a):
> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 10:00 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 18:25 +0100, Karel Klic wrote:
>> Since buildroots are broken once this change gets into the build roots,
>> I'm working on the perl and python rebuilds so that others can get
>> going.
>
> On second thought, this isn't going to work, as perl is part of the
> build group which we install into every buildroot, and we can't install
> it due to gdbm missing deps. We'll have to introduce a compat-gbdm
> temporarily to get perl/python et al rebuilt. We are untagging the new
> gdbm in the mean time.

Rawhide now contains the new gdbm-1.8.3. The compat-gdbm package is now
also available, and it provides libgdbm.so.2, so packages work without
the rebuild.

However, it makes no sense to use compat-gdbm for a long time, as the
API is the same, and no source code changes are needed in packages using
gdbm-1.8.0 to use gdbm-1.8.3.

Karel

Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Jesse Keating

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 16:19 +0100, Karel Klic wrote:
> Dne 10.3.2010 19:14, Jesse Keating napsal(a):
> > On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 10:00 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 18:25 +0100, Karel Klic wrote:
> >> Since buildroots are broken once this change gets into the build roots,
> >> I'm working on the perl and python rebuilds so that others can get
> >> going.
> >
> > On second thought, this isn't going to work, as perl is part of the
> > build group which we install into every buildroot, and we can't install
> > it due to gdbm missing deps. We'll have to introduce a compat-gbdm
> > temporarily to get perl/python et al rebuilt. We are untagging the new
> > gdbm in the mean time.
>
> Rawhide now contains the new gdbm-1.8.3. The compat-gdbm package is now
> also available, and it provides libgdbm.so.2, so packages work without
> the rebuild.
>
> However, it makes no sense to use compat-gdbm for a long time, as the
> API is the same, and no source code changes are needed in packages using
> gdbm-1.8.0 to use gdbm-1.8.3.
>
> Karel

I don't see much problem with removing compat-gdbm once all our
dependent packages are rebuilt.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> > However, it makes no sense to use compat-gdbm for a long time, as the
> > API is the same, and no source code changes are needed in packages using
> > gdbm-1.8.0 to use gdbm-1.8.3.
>
> I don't see much problem with removing compat-gdbm once all our
> dependent packages are rebuilt.

My concern would be if gdbm is a widely-enough used ABI that we'd want
to keep it like we keep compat-db or compat-openssl.

Bill