Old 01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Hans de Goede

Default IIDC camera's and the juju firewirestack

Hi All,

In the thread I started about Fedora perhaps being to cutting edge, it was said
that I shouldn't complain as there is only one problem left with the juju stack
which is a bug with via vt6306 cards in OHCI 1.0 cards.

Further analysis of the problem has learned that this is not true, I'm using a
via vt6306 card in OHCI 1.1 mode, which allegedly should work fine.

However most documents talk about using the juju stack with either harddisks or
DV for homevideo camera's. However I'm trying to use an industrial cam which
used the IIDC protocol, and support in the new juju stack (kernel + userspace)
for the IIDC protocol isn't very good.

As the consensus from the other thread seems to be that having 2 parallel
stacks is not a good plan, I have decided to spend some time to get the IIDC
situation with the juju stack improved. However I'm pretty new to all this, so
I will need a couple of pointers to get me up to speed.

I've been testing with the grab_gray_image example from libdc1394-2.0.0. The
problem is that it hangs at the dc1394_capture_dequeue(camera,
DC1394_CAPTURE_POLICY_WAIT, &frame) call.

The camera does seem to be sending data, as its activity led is flickering.

Any clues for further debugging this would be much appreciated, shall I put
this in bugzilla? If so against which component?

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

Yes I know that libdc1394 currently is not in Fedora, but that can be changed,
it has some pieces of patented code, but those can be disabled using a
./configure option -> are #ifdef'd and can thus be removed automatically from
the source code using some special tools.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Jarod Wilson

Hans de Goede wrote:
> In the thread I started about Fedora perhaps being to cutting edge, it
> was said that I shouldn't complain as there is only one problem left
> with the juju stack which is a bug with via vt6306 cards in OHCI 1.0 cards.

Oh, there's definitely more than one problem left...

> Further analysis of the problem has learned that this is not true, I'm
> using a via vt6306 card in OHCI 1.1 mode, which allegedly should work fine.

The particular bug is actually related to vt6306 and vt6307 cards in OHCI 1.0
mode doing dv capture. iidc is much less tested. I already know where at least
a few of the iidc-related OHCI 1.0 bugs are, but they shouldn't be impacting
you... I've also got an idea or two on what's up with dv capture, just need to
get the spare cycles to test (which could happen shortly, just finished a
major piece of lirc...)

> However most documents talk about using the juju stack with either
> harddisks or DV for homevideo camera's. However I'm trying to use an
> industrial cam which used the IIDC protocol, and support in the new juju
> stack (kernel + userspace) for the IIDC protocol isn't very good.

I believe David Moore's patch in linux1394-2.6.git[*] should help, and it
looks like that also needs to be ported over to the OHCI 1.0 code paths...

> As the consensus from the other thread seems to be that having 2
> parallel stacks is not a good plan, I have decided to spend some time to
> get the IIDC situation with the juju stack improved. However I'm pretty
> new to all this, so I will need a couple of pointers to get me up to speed.

Awesome, we definitely need more help. Neither krh nor I is able to spend
quite as much time on juju as we'd like right now...

> I've been testing with the grab_gray_image example from libdc1394-2.0.0.
> The problem is that it hangs at the dc1394_capture_dequeue(camera,
> DC1394_CAPTURE_POLICY_WAIT, &frame) call.
>
> The camera does seem to be sending data, as its activity led is flickering.
>
> Any clues for further debugging this would be much appreciated

That git patch would be the first step. I'll look at doing similar for OHCI
1.0, as well as testing out an idea I had wrt dv capture on OHCI 1.0...

> shall I put this in bugzilla?

Might as well. Some of it is already there, but nothing iidc-specific yet.

> If so against which component?

I'd file it against kernel, but assign it to me and cc krh@redhat.com and
fenlason@redhat.com.

[*]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ieee1394/linux1394-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=e9f5ca46377ac60a6b7d52c6c19 a1661c87c6e20

- --
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com

Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Jarod Wilson

Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Jarod Wilson

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> In the thread I started about Fedora perhaps being to cutting edge, it
>>> was said that I shouldn't complain as there is only one problem left
>>> with the juju stack which is a bug with via vt6306 cards in OHCI 1.0 cards.
>> Oh, there's definitely more than one problem left...
>
>>> Further analysis of the problem has learned that this is not true, I'm
>>> using a via vt6306 card in OHCI 1.1 mode, which allegedly should work fine.
>> The particular bug is actually related to vt6306 and vt6307 cards in OHCI 1.0
>> mode doing dv capture. iidc is much less tested. I already know where at least
>> a few of the iidc-related OHCI 1.0 bugs are, but they shouldn't be impacting
>> you... I've also got an idea or two on what's up with dv capture, just need to
>> get the spare cycles to test (which could happen shortly, just finished a
>> major piece of lirc...)
>
>>> However most documents talk about using the juju stack with either
>>> harddisks or DV for homevideo camera's. However I'm trying to use an
>>> industrial cam which used the IIDC protocol, and support in the new juju
>>> stack (kernel + userspace) for the IIDC protocol isn't very good.
>> I believe David Moore's patch in linux1394-2.6.git[*] should help, and it
>> looks like that also needs to be ported over to the OHCI 1.0 code paths...
>
> Nope, looks like he's already done that too. As I said in another thread, I'm
> going to try to start tracking the linux1394 git tree in rawhide, and
> selectively pull back patches into released kernels. David's done a lot of
> excellent work of late while I was busy not paying attention, due to the
> holidays and other misc stuff (lirc, ia64 xen, ecryptfs, ext4...)

After a bit of positive testing, I committed a linux1394 git patch plus
David's dynamic buffer alloc patch, which is about to be in linux1394 git, to
the rawhide kernel. We've now got working iidc streaming on all OHCI 1.0 and
1.1 cards, so far as I know. I'll see about back-porting these bits to the F7
and F8 kernels as well.

Would definitely like to hear what *doesn't* work now, short of dv capture
with Via VT630x OHCI 1.0 cards, which is known broken and under investigation.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com

Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM

[...]