Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default F13 Alpha - Zarafa

On 03/10/2010 03:05 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm curious why Fedora chose to include Zarafa as opposed to other
> (mostly) opensource groupware solutions?
>
> Ones that come to mind: Scalix, Open-Exchange, Zimbra.

Some contributors interested in Zarafa are now maintaining it in the
Fedora repository. If anyone is interested in packaging and maintaining
any of the alternatives you mention, Fedora will gladly include them as
long as they are free and open source software.

Rahul

Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM
"Brian C. Huffman"

All,

I'm curious why Fedora chose to include Zarafa as opposed to other (mostly) opensource groupware solutions?

Ones that come to mind: Scalix, Open-Exchange, Zimbra.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Adam Williamson

> On 03/10/2010 03:05 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm curious why Fedora chose to include Zarafa as opposed to other
> > (mostly) opensource groupware solutions?
> >
> > Ones that come to mind: Scalix, Open-Exchange, Zimbra.
>
> Some contributors interested in Zarafa are now maintaining it in the
> Fedora repository. If anyone is interested in packaging and maintaining
> any of the alternatives you mention, Fedora will gladly include them as
> long as they are free and open source software.

Also worth noting Zarafa was added following a very long process on the
infrastructure list which was based around trying to find a server that
could be used to provide a Fedora project calendaring system, which met
certain requirements. We went through a _lot_ of options and wound up
with Zarafa (and possibly eGroupware) as the best candidates. Check the
infrastructure list archive for more details.

That doesn't negate anything Rahul said, it's still perfectly possible
to add other systems if someone wants them; just explaining the process
which led to Zarafa being added. Do you know of something particularly
problematic about Zarafa? If so, infrastructure would probably like to
know.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 04:35:50PM -0500, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> I'm curious why Fedora chose to include Zarafa as opposed to other (mostly) opensource groupware solutions?
> Ones that come to mind: Scalix, Open-Exchange, Zimbra.

Because Someone Stepped Up And Did It. There's no big conspiracy or
anything.

The others I don't even see on the package wishlist:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList

although something called OpenChange was added for MS Exchange access in
Fedora 11.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Computing & Information Technology

Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 03:05 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm curious why Fedora chose to include Zarafa as opposed to other
>> (mostly) opensource groupware solutions?
>>
>> Ones that come to mind: Scalix, Open-Exchange, Zimbra.
>
> Some contributors interested in Zarafa are now maintaining it in the
> Fedora repository. *If anyone is interested in packaging and maintaining
> any of the alternatives you mention, Fedora will gladly include them as
> long as they are free and open source software.
>
> Rahul

Zarafa is a good alternative to MS exchange, lightweight (written in
PHP) and Zarafa webmail is looks like outlook (i dislike this).

if someone is interested in packaging of Zimbra Open Source Edition
(ZCS) then i'm ready to collaborate (i'm good in packaging but i don't
have any real experience especially in JEE stuffs )

also ZCS for RHEL/Fedora is distributed as RPMs

Best regards.

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 PM
nodata

On 09/03/10 23:07, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Rahul Sundaram<metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/10/2010 03:05 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I'm curious why Fedora chose to include Zarafa as opposed to other
>>> (mostly) opensource groupware solutions?
>>>
>>> Ones that come to mind: Scalix, Open-Exchange, Zimbra.
>>
>> Some contributors interested in Zarafa are now maintaining it in the
>> Fedora repository. If anyone is interested in packaging and maintaining
>> any of the alternatives you mention, Fedora will gladly include them as
>> long as they are free and open source software.
>>
>> Rahul
>> --
>>

> Zarafa is a good alternative to MS exchange, lightweight (written in
> PHP) and Zarafa webmail is looks like outlook (i dislike this).

Do you know if a chat client is planned for Zafara a la google chat
(jabber ajax style)? I couldn't find one.

> if someone is interested in packaging of Zimbra Open Source Edition
> (ZCS) then i'm ready to collaborate (i'm good in packaging but i don't
> have any real experience especially in JEE stuffs )

Does Zimbra still ship as a blob of specific versions of lots of open
source software, of which the specific versions cannot be changed?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Kevin Kofler

Matthew Miller wrote:
> although something called OpenChange was added for MS Exchange access in
> Fedora 11.

OpenChange != Open-Xchange
In fact they're completely different:
Open-Xchange is groupware software, to some extent a clone of M$ Exchange,
but using open protocols.
OpenChange is an implementation of the M$ Exchange protocols, allowing Free
Software groupware clients to interoperate with M$ Exchange.

Kevin Kofler

Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On 03/09/2010 05:23 PM, nodata wrote:
> Does Zimbra still ship as a blob of specific versions of lots of open
> source software, of which the specific versions cannot be changed?

Also, the last time I looked, it had a bundled copy of the Sun JDK (not
the open sourced one either).

~spot

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Matěj Cepl

Dne 10.3.2010 16:35, Tom "spot" Callaway napsal(a):
> On 03/09/2010 05:23 PM, nodata wrote:
>> Does Zimbra still ship as a blob of specific versions of lots of open
>> source software, of which the specific versions cannot be changed?
>
> Also, the last time I looked, it had a bundled copy of the Sun JDK (not
> the open sourced one either).

I think that goes without saying that if somebody wants to package Java
monster like Zimbra would need to cut out tens of megabytes (at least)
junk which has no place in a sane tarball. No need to emphasize that.

Matěj

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for
support, rather than illumination.
-- Andrew Lang

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Matěj Cepl