FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Jon Masters
 
Default PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

Folks,

I will propose this to FESCo through their normal channels.

My proposal is that we create a "Fedora User Survey" and create a link
on the fp.o website with a few very simple questions. One of those
questions would be what users think about the current update policy,
using plain (and as non-bias as possible) language to explain.

This isn't an attempt to undermine FESCo, but you have to remember that
users don't typically directly vote for FESCo or otherwise get involved
in big decisions like this that will affect them. The developers do
this, and we are motivated by our own experiences. While I'm not looking
to create another California referendum process for Fedora, I do think
occasional (maybe annual) surveys for user input would be useful.

Jon.


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-09-2010, 04:05 AM
Seth Vidal
 
Default PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Jon Masters wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I will propose this to FESCo through their normal channels.
>
> My proposal is that we create a "Fedora User Survey" and create a link
> on the fp.o website with a few very simple questions. One of those
> questions would be what users think about the current update policy,
> using plain (and as non-bias as possible) language to explain.
>
> This isn't an attempt to undermine FESCo, but you have to remember that
> users don't typically directly vote for FESCo or otherwise get involved
> in big decisions like this that will affect them. The developers do
> this, and we are motivated by our own experiences. While I'm not looking
> to create another California referendum process for Fedora, I do think
> occasional (maybe annual) surveys for user input would be useful.
>

-1

It sure looks like a californian referendum process. Let me make this
abundantly clear: I have ZERO interest in developing a distro which is
driven by mob vote of whomever happens to be on the internet.

-sv

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

On 03/08/2010 11:05 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> -1
>
> It sure looks like a californian referendum process. Let me make this
> abundantly clear: I have ZERO interest in developing a distro which is
> driven by mob vote of whomever happens to be on the internet.
>

Correct me if I am wrong, but right now the Fedora project knows little
to nothing about its user base as a whole from a scientific perspective.
Starting to gather user-generated (instead of system, such as smolt)
will be a benefit, IMHO. You could easily rm -rf the results in the end.
I'm not of the survey type either, but it would be interesting (to say
the least) to see if anyone would even take it.

Maybe as a reward for completion you get a custom-generated Fedora
wallpaper that has your answers as a mosaic.



--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 AM
Ralf Corsepius
 
Default PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

On 03/09/2010 06:37 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but right now the Fedora project knows little
> to nothing about its user base as a whole from a scientific perspective.
And why does Fedora need to know about this?

Fedora is what its contributors make it and what its government allows
its contributors to make it.

Ralf


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

On 03/08/2010 11:45 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> And why does Fedora need to know about this?

Maybe for some GSoC ideas? I don't know. Has Fedora (or a project like
this) ever had such data before?

>
> Fedora is what its contributors make it and what its government allows
> its contributors to make it.

Are you saying we should ban RFE bugs then? Your statement seems a
little hypocritical.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org