Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Matt Ford

Default Managing spec files

Hi All,

I am looking at building a fedora package. I have been over guidelines
and taken a look at the build system. What I am not clear on is how I
maintain spec files for different distributions i.e., F12, F11, F10, or
even EPEL.

Do I have to branch and maintain each spec file separately or is there a
better way? Are there any tools that abstract the commonality? Do
people try to write spec files that work on any distro with conditionals?

Thanks for any wise words,

Matt.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Steve Traylen

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Matt Ford <matt.ford@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking at building a fedora package. *I have been over guidelines
> and taken a look at the build system. *What I am not clear on is how I
> maintain spec files for different distributions i.e., F12, F11, F10, or
> even EPEL.

Initially to have a package added in principal it only has to work on
rawhide for release with the next release.

> Do I have to branch and maintain each spec file separately or is there a
> better way? *Are there any tools that abstract the commonality? *Do
> people try to write spec files that work on any distro with conditionals?

It is true that the separate .spec files are maintained separately. What many
people try and do is maintain them as identical, at least at the start.
Have a look at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/DistTag#Conditionals
of course with time with different update policies it will happen that say EPEL
and rawhide .specs diverge.

> Thanks for any wise words,
>
> Matt.

Steve Traylen

Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
BJ Dierkes

On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Steve Traylen wrote:

> It is true that the separate .spec files are maintained separately. What many
> people try and do is maintain them as identical, at least at the start.
> Have a look at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/DistTag#Conditionals
> of course with time with different update policies it will happen that say EPEL
> and rawhide .specs diverge.

Maintaining a single spec with disttag conditionals is great, and makes the world a lot easier.... *if* you are maintaining the same source version of the package across all distros. Once you split source versions (as Steve said generally with rawhide)... its not really practical to maintain a single spec and you end up with multiple buildroots/specs.

---
derks

Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Neal Becker

BJ Dierkes wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Steve Traylen wrote:
>

>> It is true that the separate .spec files are maintained separately. What
>> many people try and do is maintain them as identical, at least at the
>> start. Have a look at:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/DistTag#Conditionals
>> of course with time with different update policies it will happen that
>> say EPEL and rawhide .specs diverge.
>>

> Maintaining a single spec with disttag conditionals is great, and makes
> the world a lot easier.... *if* you are maintaining the same source
> version of the package across all distros. Once you split source versions
> (as Steve said generally with rawhide)... its not really practical to
> maintain a single spec and you end up with multiple buildroots/specs.
>
> ---
> derks

I always just hard link them together.