Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Dimi Paun

Default Package updater

Folks,

Why in name of all that is good do we have this silly
small dialogs that are close to impossible to use?!?

This is annoying beyond belief.

In the package updater (the one that comes up when you
get a notification that updates are available), the
"Details" window is just a *few* pixels in height!!!

To use the darn thing, I have to always:
* enter my root password (why oh why?)
* open the details (why not have them open by default?)
* resize the window to be wider (why not use the screen size?)

To add insult to injury, when there are errors
(or additional deps required), I have a tiny dialog
popup, with "details". so I have to:
* click to open the details (again, should be open
by default, they are always interesting)
* resize the dialog to a decent size, or else everything
is unreadable

This has been like this for a long time. In terms of UI,
it is brutal (the textual interface is way nicer). Is it
just me that finds this so offensive?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi@lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Jesse Keating

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:36:09 -0500
Dimi Paun <dimi@lattica.com> wrote:

> This has been like this for a long time. In terms of UI,
> it is brutal (the textual interface is way nicer). Is it
> just me that finds this so offensive?

Is there a bug filed for it?

--
Jesse Keating

Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 AM

When you apply updates,it takes lot of time (may be due my slow internet) to resolve the dependencies.

At the end of the day, you get a message that a prticular software is not available.

1. (Excuse me for my ignorance) Is it not possible to know which one is not available even before you start the operation?

2. Is it not possible to update the packages which has all the components, and leave out the ones which has deficiency of soft ware?

Ramachandran.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

2008/3/25 <ramachandranc1@aim.com>:

> When you apply updates,it takes lot of time (may be due my slow internet)
> to resolve the dependencies.
> At the end of the day, you get a message that a prticular software is not
> available.
> 1. (Excuse me for my ignorance) Is it not possible to know which one is not
> available even before you start the operation?

How? Updates to the dependancy database have to be downloaded and the
whole thing has to be analyzed.

> 2. Is it not possible to update the packages which has all the components,
> and leave out the ones which has deficiency of soft ware?

If you use yum, there's a plugin called "skip-broken" which might be
what you want. After installing it, use "yum --skip-broken update".

poc

Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 AM

> When you apply updates,it takes lot of time (may be due my slow internet)

> to resolve the dependencies.

> At the end of the day, you get a message that a prticular software is not

> available.

> 1. (Excuse me for my ignorance) Is it not possible to know which one is not

> available even before you start the operation?

How? Updates to the dependancy database have to be downloaded and the

whole thing has to be analyzed.

> 2. Is it not possible to update the packages which has all the components,

> and leave out the ones which has deficiency of soft ware?

If you use yum, there's a plugin called "skip-broken" which might be

what you want. After installing it, use "yum --skip-broken update".

poc

"skip-broken" is not available.

here is the list:

Usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo, localupdate, resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache, upgrade, provides, shell, install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update, repolist, groupupdate, info, search, check-update, list, remove, clean, grouperase >

Command line error: no such option: --skip-broken

[root@ramachandran ~]# yum --skip-broken update

Usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo, localupdate, resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache, upgrade, provides, shell, install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update, repolist, groupupdate, info, search, check-update, list, remove, clean, grouperase >

-h, --help show this help message and exit

-t, --tolerant be tolerant of errors

-C run entirely from cache, don't update cache

-c [config file] config file location

-R [minutes] maximum command wait time

-d [debug level] debugging output level

-e [error level] error output level

-q, --quiet quiet operation

-v, --verbose verbose operation

-y answer yes for all questions

--version show Yum version and exit

--installroot=[path] set install root

--enablerepo=[repo] enable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)

--disablerepo=[repo] disable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)

-x [package], --exclude=[package]

exclude package(s) by name or glob

--disableexcludes=[repo]

disable exclude from main, for a repo or for

everything

--obsoletes enable obsoletes processing during updates

--noplugins disable Yum plugins

--nogpgcheck disable gpg signature checking

--disableplugin=[plugin]

disable plugins by name

Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 06:03 -0400, ramachandranc1@aim.com wrote:

> [...]

As I said, it's a plugin. That means you have to download it and install
it separately.

yum install yum-skip-broken

poc