Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   How does one deal with obsoleted updates from updates-testing (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/337999-how-does-one-deal-obsoleted-updates-updates-testing.html)

Quentin Armitage 03-08-2010 02:19 PM

How does one deal with obsoleted updates from updates-testing
 
My F-13 system produces the following output from yum list extras:
Extra Packages
glibc.i686 2.11.90-14
installed
glibc-common.i686 2.11.90-14
installed
glibc-devel.i686 2.11.90-14
@updates-testing
glibc-headers.i686 2.11.90-14
@updates-testing
gtksourceview2.i686 2.9.7-1.fc13
installed
nscd.i686 2.11.90-14
installed

The glibc packages (including nscd) were in updates-testing, but have
been obsoleted, and so 2.11.90-12 is now the current version again. What
is the mechanism for becoming aware that a package that has been
installed through updates-testing has been obsoleted (especially since
the standard install of F-13 rc has updates-testing enabled)?

Bodhi doesn't even list gtksourceview2-2.9.7-1.fc13, so I can't see
where that came from, but the current version for F-13 appears to be
2.9.5-1.fc13.

Also, why are some packages listed as @updates-testing and others as
installed when all the packages are installed?



--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Seth Vidal 03-08-2010 02:26 PM

How does one deal with obsoleted updates from updates-testing
 
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Quentin Armitage wrote:

> The glibc packages (including nscd) were in updates-testing, but have
> been obsoleted, and so 2.11.90-12 is now the current version again. What
> is the mechanism for becoming aware that a package that has been
> installed through updates-testing has been obsoleted (especially since
> the standard install of F-13 rc has updates-testing enabled)?

They've not been obsoleted, they've just been updated. Obsoleted has a
different special meaning in rpm-parlance.



> Bodhi doesn't even list gtksourceview2-2.9.7-1.fc13, so I can't see
> where that came from, but the current version for F-13 appears to be
> 2.9.5-1.fc13.
>
> Also, why are some packages listed as @updates-testing and others as
> installed when all the packages are installed?

Depends on which version of yum they were installed with. If the version
is older than yum 3.2.25 - then it won't list the repo they were installed
from in a 'yum list installed'.

if it was 3.2.25 or newer, it will.

-sv

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Quentin Armitage 03-08-2010 05:54 PM

How does one deal with obsoleted updates from updates-testing
 
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:26 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
>
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Quentin Armitage wrote:
>
> > The glibc packages (including nscd) were in updates-testing, but have
> > been obsoleted, and so 2.11.90-12 is now the current version again. What
> > is the mechanism for becoming aware that a package that has been
> > installed through updates-testing has been obsoleted (especially since
> > the standard install of F-13 rc has updates-testing enabled)?
>
> They've not been obsoleted, they've just been updated. Obsoleted has a
> different special meaning in rpm-parlance.
>
Sorry, I should have been clearer. glibc-2.11.90.14 is showing in Bodhi
as being Status: obsolete. Bodhi shows that version was pushed to
testing, and it was installed on my system when I installed F-13 on 1st
March. That version appears is now no longer in updates-testing, and the
current version is the earlier version, glibc-2.11.90-12. So far as I
can see, there is no automatic mechanism to become aware of when a
package has been in updates-testing and has subsequently been removed
(?due to obsoleting in Bodhi), and the package needs reverting to an
earlier version.
>
>
> > Bodhi doesn't even list gtksourceview2-2.9.7-1.fc13, so I can't see
> > where that came from, but the current version for F-13 appears to be
> > 2.9.5-1.fc13.
> >

I can't see any reference to gtksourceview2-2.9.7-1.fc13 in Bodhi, but
it was installed on my F-13 system on 1st March. The current version for
F-13 seems to be 2.9.5-1, but I cannot see anything that says
gtksourceview2 as been removed.

Quentin Armitage

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

James Antill 03-08-2010 06:52 PM

How does one deal with obsoleted updates from updates-testing
 
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 18:54 +0000, Quentin Armitage wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:26 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Quentin Armitage wrote:
> >
> > > The glibc packages (including nscd) were in updates-testing, but have
> > > been obsoleted, and so 2.11.90-12 is now the current version again. What
> > > is the mechanism for becoming aware that a package that has been
> > > installed through updates-testing has been obsoleted (especially since
> > > the standard install of F-13 rc has updates-testing enabled)?
> >
> > They've not been obsoleted, they've just been updated. Obsoleted has a
> > different special meaning in rpm-parlance.
> >
> Sorry, I should have been clearer. glibc-2.11.90.14 is showing in Bodhi
> as being Status: obsolete. Bodhi shows that version was pushed to
> testing, and it was installed on my system when I installed F-13 on 1st
> March. That version appears is now no longer in updates-testing, and the
> current version is the earlier version, glibc-2.11.90-12. So far as I
> can see, there is no automatic mechanism to become aware of when a
> package has been in updates-testing and has subsequently been removed
> (?due to obsoleting in Bodhi), and the package needs reverting to an
> earlier version.

I assume you know about yum downgrade, and yum list extras (and/or
using the color indications in yum list) with updates-testing enabled.

So I assume you want something else, I guess a push kind of
notification?
If you've commented to the update doesn't bodhi email you if the update
is removed? If not I'd say create a bodhi RFE ... but apart from that
I'm not sure how a push notification could occur.

--
James Antill - james@fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.27
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumMultipleMachineCaching
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.