Old 03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Neal Becker

Default howto group push?

mercurial and tortoise-hg need (generally) to be pushed in sync. They
are maintained by 2 different people. What are suggested ways to make sure
pushes are synchronized?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Josh Boyer

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:09:43AM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>mercurial and tortoise-hg need (generally) to be pushed in sync. They
>are maintained by 2 different people. What are suggested ways to make sure
>pushes are synchronized?

The maintainers should coordinate, and one of them should bundle both packages
into a single bodhi update. It's the only way to guarantee they get pushed at
the same time.

josh

Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM
leigh scott

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 08:20 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> The maintainers should coordinate, and one of them should bundle both packages
> into a single bodhi update. It's the only way to guarantee they get pushed at
> the same time.
>
> josh

They would need commit rights for both packages.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Neal Becker

leigh scott wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 08:20 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> The maintainers should coordinate, and one of them should bundle both
>> packages
>> into a single bodhi update. It's the only way to guarantee they get
>> pushed at the same time.
>>
>> josh
>
> They would need commit rights for both packages.

IIRC, wasn't there some kind of 'group push' operation to make sure they are
both updated together?

Is is reasonable that they may be out-of-sync in updates-testing
(temporarily), but when pushed to stable they are pushed as a group?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Josh Boyer

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:28:29AM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>leigh scott wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 08:20 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>>> The maintainers should coordinate, and one of them should bundle both
>>> packages
>>> into a single bodhi update. It's the only way to guarantee they get
>>> pushed at the same time.
>
>IIRC, wasn't there some kind of 'group push' operation to make sure they are
>both updated together?

Pushes are done on whatever is submitted at the time for the various updates
repo targets. If both packages happen to be in the same push request, they'll
get pushed at the same time. However, the only way to guarantee that is to
bundle them in the same update.

>Is is reasonable that they may be out-of-sync in updates-testing
>(temporarily), but when pushed to stable they are pushed as a group?

Not really. If they aren't in lock-step in updates-testing then you'll have
broken deps there (or just broken packages).

josh

Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Josh Boyer

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:22:48PM +0000, leigh scott wrote:
>On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 08:20 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> The maintainers should coordinate, and one of them should bundle both packages
>> into a single bodhi update. It's the only way to guarantee they get pushed at
>> the same time.
>>
>> josh
>
>They would need commit rights for both packages.

There are ways to work with that. Provenpackagers, CVS Admins, etc.

Even if one of them does require commits to both, it seems fairly warranted in
this case given the dependent nature of the two packages in question.

Cooperation is good.

josh

Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:51:12AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:28:29AM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> >leigh scott wrote:

> >IIRC, wasn't there some kind of 'group push' operation to make sure they are
> >both updated together?
>
> Pushes are done on whatever is submitted at the time for the various updates
> repo targets. If both packages happen to be in the same push request, they'll
> get pushed at the same time. However, the only way to guarantee that is to
> bundle them in the same update.
>
> >Is is reasonable that they may be out-of-sync in updates-testing
> >(temporarily), but when pushed to stable they are pushed as a group?
>
> Not really. If they aren't in lock-step in updates-testing then you'll have
> broken deps there (or just broken packages).

Is keeping broken deps out of updates-testing a goal? If so we need to make
multi-maintainer rebuilds easier.... perhaps making how to request and use
koji side-tags (is that the proper term?) documented and discoverable is
what's needed?

-Toshio