Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Michal Nowak

Default Announcing `gold-rebuild' - link your packages with gold now

----- "Roland McGrath" <roland@redhat.com> wrote:

> Nice hack, Michal! As you are aware, I have been slowly preparing
> things
> to get towards the option of using gold for real in the future.
> Making
> this sort of testing easy is about the next thing I thought someone
> should
> do (and wasn't going to hack on myself!), so it's a thrill to see
> you've
> taken the initiative.
>
> I believe that upstream gold has changed a fair bit since the
> binutils
> snapshot we have in Fedora. Before paying much attention to actual
> testing
> results, I would recommend working with nickc to get a fresher
> binutils
> based on current upstream into rawhide (it's too late to be mucking
> with
> F-13 tools now).

Actually what I do, Roland, it that I grab binutils daily tarball
and rebuild it as Source0 of Rawhide's SRPM (really ugly...) so I
always use the latest one, see '-r' option. Drawback in the script
is that it always rebuilds binutils even if you have today's
binutils RPMs somewhere, that's just a detail a the moment, I guess.

> I had not been planning to announce or recommend anyone play with
> gold
> until that was done. As your wiki page mentions, for playing locally
> by
> hand you can already (as of F-13) use:
> alternatives --set /usr/bin/ld /usr/bin/ld.gold
> to try some compilations.

My observation is that 80-90 % of packages can be built however I doubt
all of resulting binaries work. Most notably kernel fails to build.

> Even with the latest gold, there are still some known limitations.
> So nobody should be expecting perfection. But it is useful to
> collect
> the cases that fail in ways that are not already known gold bugs.

I just set x86_64 machine up and will try to rebuild whole F-13
package set. Will report results back (someday .

> Thanks,
> Roland

Michal

Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Michal Nowak

----- "Michal Nowak" <mnowak@redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Jakub Jelinek" <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Do your scripts provide some evidence of exciting speedups with
> > gold?
> >
> > Or slowdowns?

> However now I am rebuilding Qt -
> I believe this one will be far more telling since it's big (250 MB
> in resulted RPMs), in C++ and my stock F-12 machine needed 2h to
> finish the task when built with F-12 binutils.

ld: CVS snapshot from date: 20100309
Package: qt-4.5.3-7.fc12
Time: 2:05:21
Size: 258M

ld: binutils-2.19.51.0.14-37.fc12 (likely, just a guess)
Package: qt-4.5.3-7.fc12
Time: 2:03:13
Size: 255M

Perhaps wrong example...

Michal

Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Michal Nowak

----- "Michal Nowak" <mnowak@redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Michal Nowak" <mnowak@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > ----- "Jakub Jelinek" <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > gold?
> > >
> > > Or slowdowns?

> > However now I am rebuilding Qt -
> > I believe this one will be far more telling since it's big (250 MB
> > in resulted RPMs), in C++ and my stock F-12 machine needed 2h to
> > finish the task when built with F-12 binutils.
>
> ld: CVS snapshot from date: 20100309
> Package: qt-4.5.3-7.fc12
> Time: 2:05:21
> Size: 258M
>
> ld: binutils-2.19.51.0.14-37.fc12 (likely, just a guess)
> Package: qt-4.5.3-7.fc12
> Time: 2:03:13
> Size: 255M
>
> Perhaps wrong example...

ld: binutils-2.19.51.0.14-37.fc12
gold: CVS snapshot from date: 20100309

Originaly I scheduled: "prelink openssl openssh ecryptfs-utils xcb-util gtk2
kdebase-workspace python perl ruby vlc glib2 glibc rhythmbox totem qt gcc
kernel firefox xulrunner thunderbird ImageMagick binutils" but some of them
failed to build so it's pointless to show 'how long they have run'. Plus I
forgot on qt in 'ld-run' but we know it runs ~2h already.

<-------time-------> <-------size------->
Package Name | ld gold ld gold
----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
ecryptfs-utils-83-1 | 1:59.00 1:44.81 472K 480K
xcb-util-0.3.6-1 | 0:45.35 0:55.18 176K 176K
gtk2-2.18.4-1 | 5:48.15 7:58.26 17M 17M
perl-5.10.0-86 | 5:29.73 6:29.14 21M 21M
ruby-1.8.6.383-4 | 8:17.27 8:50.03 11M 11M
firefox-3.5.4-1 | 8:13.27 8:12.25 15M 15M
xulrunner-1.9.1.4-1 | 17:00.39 31:26.24 66M 67M
thunderbird-3.0-3.13.rc2 | 19:31.32 37:25.40 87M 88M
ImageMagick-6.5.4.7-3 | 6:53.47 7:06.74 9.5M 9.6M
----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------

Time in [ minute:second.fraction ] format. Size is human readable.

Apart from xulrunner and thunderbird where gold looses dozens percent, results
are comparable.

Michal

Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Roland McGrath

> Actually what I do, Roland, it that I grab binutils daily tarball
> and rebuild it as Source0 of Rawhide's SRPM (really ugly...) so I
> always use the latest one, see '-r' option. Drawback in the script
> is that it always rebuilds binutils even if you have today's
> binutils RPMs somewhere, that's just a detail a the moment, I guess.

Wow, cute hack! You are a crazy man.