Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Ivana Hutarova Varekova

Default should man-pages-* have Requires: man?

For now in fedora there are 11 packages which contains language
mutations of man-pages (man-pages-{cs,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ko,pl,ru,uk})
and man-pages package.
Only 2 of them (man-pages-es, man-pages-it) requires man package. I
think man dependences should be consistent in all man-pages* packages.
From my point of view man dependency should be in all of them.
Any ideas?
Ivana Hutarova Varekova

Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Alain Portal

Le Lundi 8 Mars 2010 11:25:40, Ivana Hutarova Varekova a écrit :
> For now in fedora there are 11 packages which contains language
> mutations of man-pages (man-pages-{cs,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ko,pl,ru,uk})
> and man-pages package.
> Only 2 of them (man-pages-es, man-pages-it) requires man package. I
> think man dependences should be consistent in all man-pages* packages.
> From my point of view man dependency should be in all of them.
> Any ideas?

Fully agree.

Regards,
Alain
--
La version française des pages de manuel Linux
http://manpagesfr.free.fr

Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Ralf Corsepius

On 03/08/2010 11:25 AM, Ivana Hutarova Varekova wrote:
> For now in fedora there are 11 packages which contains language
> mutations of man-pages (man-pages-{cs,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ko,pl,ru,uk})
> and man-pages package.
> Only 2 of them (man-pages-es, man-pages-it) requires man package. I
> think man dependences should be consistent in all man-pages* packages.
> From my point of view man dependency should be in all of them.

There is no strong dependency between "man" and "man-pages".

"man" is just one utility amongst many utilities which can be used to
process man-pages.

Ralf

Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Ivana Hutarova Varekova

On 03/08/2010 02:59 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 11:25 AM, Ivana Hutarova Varekova wrote:
>
>> For now in fedora there are 11 packages which contains language
>> mutations of man-pages (man-pages-{cs,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ko,pl,ru,uk})
>> and man-pages package.
>> Only 2 of them (man-pages-es, man-pages-it) requires man package. I
>> think man dependences should be consistent in all man-pages* packages.
>> From my point of view man dependency should be in all of them.
>>
> There is no strong dependency between "man" and "man-pages".
>
> "man" is just one utility amongst many utilities which can be used to
> process man-pages.
>
> Ralf

Hello,
from my point of view, the vast majority of users uses man to show the
wanted man-page content (the reason to add the dependency). You are
right, there are other possibilities, so man is not necessary (the
reason not to add the dependency).
I prefer to have the dependency to man there, but if the majority votes
for not to have it there then it is OK for me too (better then the state
in which each package handle this in the different way).
Ivana

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On 03/10/2010 11:40 AM, Ivana Hutarova Varekova wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 02:59 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 03/08/2010 11:25 AM, Ivana Hutarova Varekova wrote:
>>
>>> For now in fedora there are 11 packages which contains language
>>> mutations of man-pages (man-pages-{cs,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ko,pl,ru,uk})
>>> and man-pages package.
>>> Only 2 of them (man-pages-es, man-pages-it) requires man package. I
>>> think man dependences should be consistent in all man-pages* packages.
>>> From my point of view man dependency should be in all of them.
>>>
>> There is no strong dependency between "man" and "man-pages".
>>
>> "man" is just one utility amongst many utilities which can be used to
>> process man-pages.
>>
>> Ralf
>>
> Hello,
> from my point of view, the vast majority of users uses man to show the
> wanted man-page content (the reason to add the dependency).

Agreed.

Actually, I am having problems to imagine any system without "man"
installed, esp. because SUSV/POSIX mandates man to be present.

Still I am having difficulties to find a strict dependency between the
utility "man" and the contents. If all "man directories" were strictly
part of the man-package, there would be one.

> You are
> right, there are other possibilities, so man is not necessary (the
> reason not to add the dependency).
> I prefer to have the dependency to man there, but if the majority votes
> for not to have it there then it is OK for me too (better then the state
> in which each package handle this in the different way).
Agreed, the current situation is a mess (Say hello to shadow-utils,
lapack, blas and others)

Ralf

Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 14:59 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> There is no strong dependency between "man" and "man-pages".
>
> "man" is just one utility amongst many utilities which can be used to
> process man-pages.

Perhaps it would make sense to introduce a Providesman-reader) or some
such and add a Requires on the same in the man pages. That way any of
the things which consume man pages can satisfy the requirement, not
necessarily being man itself. Seems a little obnoxious, but if the
desire is to prevent a hard man-pages -> man requirement...

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Adam Jackson

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 11:56 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 11:40 AM, Ivana Hutarova Varekova wrote:
> > from my point of view, the vast majority of users uses man to show the
> > wanted man-page content (the reason to add the dependency).
>
> Agreed.
>
> Actually, I am having problems to imagine any system without "man"
> installed, esp. because SUSV/POSIX mandates man to be present.

You think Fedora has to be POSIX? That's adorable.

- ajax

Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Ivana Varekova

On 03/10/2010 05:27 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 14:59 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> There is no strong dependency between "man" and "man-pages".
>>
>> "man" is just one utility amongst many utilities which can be used to
>> process man-pages.
>>
> Perhaps it would make sense to introduce a Providesman-reader) or some
> such and add a Requires on the same in the man pages. That way any of
> the things which consume man pages can satisfy the requirement, not
> necessarily being man itself. Seems a little obnoxious, but if the
> desire is to prevent a hard man-pages -> man requirement...

Sorry for the late response, this solution seems fine for me. From my
point of view man and man-db sould provide man-reader.
Ivana

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Ding Yi Chen

----- "Ivana Varekova" <varekova@redhat.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the late response, this solution seems fine for me. From my
>
> point of view man and man-db sould provide man-reader.
> Ivana

Has man-pages-reader changed applied to Fedora 13?
If not, will it?

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer

Register now for Red Hat Virtual Experience, December 9.
Enterprise Linux, virtualization, cloud, and more.
http://www.redhat.com/virtualexperience

Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Ivana Hutarova Varekova

On 05/06/2010 01:28 AM, Ding Yi Chen wrote:
> ----- "Ivana Varekova"<varekova@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Sorry for the late response, this solution seems fine for me. From my
>>
>> point of view man and man-db sould provide man-reader.
>> Ivana
>> --
>>
> Has man-pages-reader changed applied to Fedora 13?
> If not, will it?

Hello,
for now man-pages-reader are provides by man in fc13, fc14 and man-db in
fc14. man-db is fedora from 14 so there is no 13 version.
The man in 13 provides the tag just for the purpose to fix possible
problem if the maintainer of packages uses this flag in fc13 too, it
have not any other reason there now.
Ivana Hutarova Varekova