Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default Expect more positive bodhi karma / check karma automatism

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
> Good news everyone,
>
> you can probably expect to receive more positive bodhi karma for your
> updates in the future (or you already got unexpected much), because
> there is now a script called 'fedora-easy-karma'[0], that makes
> providing feedback a lot easier.
>
> This makes it more important to consider the "karma automatism" for your
> updates. By default testing updates updates are declared stable when
> they get three karma points. In the past this probably never happened,
> but now I have seen several updates, where this occurred. So if you
> think your package should stay longer in testing or needs more intensive
> testing than the average updates, consider disabling the "karma
> automatism" or select a higher threshold for the automatic push to
> happen.
>
> Regards
> Till
>
> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Easy_Karma

Thankyou very much Till. I started using it this morning and it seems
to work as expected. There are a couple of things that would make it
easier to use:

1) Comments could allow for multi-line code. I tried to paste stuff in
and well skipped a couple of packages from the paste
2) I found so many packages I didn't know were on my system so had no
idea what they were.
A) is the package linked to things I use daily? [can this be determined.]
B) is the package been used by something so I can see its usage by
other daemons.
In the end, I did remove a couple of things I was like "huh why did I
install that?"

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Till Maas

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:34:15AM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> 1) Comments could allow for multi-line code. I tried to paste stuff in
> and well skipped a couple of packages from the paste

Do you have any wish about how this should behave? I was thinking that
e.g. a comment like "<EOF" will make it multiline and use everything
until a comment that's only EOF will be used. EOF can be an arbitrary
string.

> 2) I found so many packages I didn't know were on my system so had no
> idea what they were.
> A) is the package linked to things I use daily? [can this be determined.]

I don't know how to determine this except to scan your .bash_history and
use rpm -qf to find matches packages.

> B) is the package been used by something so I can see its usage by
> other daemons.

So you would like to have a list of all packages that are depending on
this directly or indirectly? For a future release I was thinking about
to use a more interactive shell that allows to also perform some
additional query commands. Maybe this could be one of them.

Regards
Till

Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:34:15AM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>> 1) Comments could allow for multi-line code. I tried to paste stuff in
>> and well skipped a couple of packages from the paste
>
> Do you have any wish about how this should behave? I was thinking that
> e.g. a comment like "<EOF" will make it multiline and use everything
> until a comment that's only EOF will be used. EOF can be an arbitrary
> string.

That works for me.

>> 2) I found so many packages I didn't know were on my system so had no
>> idea what they were.
>> * *A) is the package linked to things I use daily? [can this be determined.]
>
> I don't know how to determine this except to scan your .bash_history and
> use rpm -qf to find matches packages.

Yeah.. this would require a more massive database than I think is in
the scope of packages. This sort of big brother would basically track
what is run, by what and when. It would then present stuff so that a
user could see what they are using the most.

However, in some cases, I would just like to know:

poppler-glib: used by evince, gimp.

That way I can say.. oh I used evince since the update.. and its
working so I have not had a problem.

>> * *B) is the package been used by something so I can see its usage by
>> other daemons.
>
> So you would like to have a list of all packages that are depending on
> this directly or indirectly? For a future release I was thinking about
> to use a more interactive shell that allows to also perform some
> additional query commands. Maybe this could be one of them.

The biggest query command I would like at the moment is something like:

fedora-easy-karma --list # lists packages to be voted on.
fedora-easy-karma --list-new # list pacakges I haven't voted on already.

I removed a couple hundred packages from my system today because I am
not suing them and even just hitting return to go past them was taking
a long time.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Till Maas

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:51:34PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> The biggest query command I would like at the moment is something like:
>
> fedora-easy-karma --list # lists packages to be voted on.
> fedora-easy-karma --list-new # list pacakges I haven't voted on already.

fedora-easy-karma by default already skips updates, that you already
commented on, this can be disabled with "--include-commented". So would
it be enough, if there is an option "--list-only", that skips the
questions whether or not to comment, but only displays the update
descriptions?

Regards
Till

Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:51:34PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>> The biggest query command I would like at the moment is something like:
>>
>> fedora-easy-karma --list # lists packages to be voted on.
>> fedora-easy-karma --list-new # list pacakges I haven't voted on already.
>
> fedora-easy-karma by default already skips updates, that you already
> commented on, this can be disabled with "--include-commented". So would
> it be enough, if there is an option "--list-only", that skips the
> questions whether or not to comment, but only displays the update
> descriptions?

What I am looking for is something where I can get a short list of
packages I would be asked to comment on if I ran the program. The
reason being that I removed a couple hundred packages yesterday
because I don't run them, haven't run them, and probably wouldn't know
how to test them .

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Additionally, I have some RFE's too.

- Could you add a 'q' for quit or something. Or at least not catch
control-c? If I am in the middle of doing something and need to
reboot or wander off, I would perfer to be able to just stop.

- Perhaps also a 'n' and 'p' for next and previous ? If I am looking at
them quickly, I sometimes hit a return when I should have stopped and
tested something. The only way to go back is to get to the end and
restart and find the update I passed.

- Perhaps add a "(FEK)" or something to the comments? It would then be
more obvious how many people are using this tool?

Again, great work on this... thanks!

kevin

Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Till Maas

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 01:22:35PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Additionally, I have some RFE's too.
>
> - Could you add a 'q' for quit or something. Or at least not catch
> control-c? If I am in the middle of doing something and need to
> reboot or wander off, I would perfer to be able to just stop.

Uh, I catching CTRL-C is not intended, I'll look into this the next
days. But you can use CTRL-D to quit.

> - Perhaps also a 'n' and 'p' for next and previous ? If I am looking at
> them quickly, I sometimes hit a return when I should have stopped and
> tested something. The only way to go back is to get to the end and
> restart and find the update I passed.

Yes, this is annoying, I'll add this to TODO. In the meantime: In the
git repo there is a version that accepts patterns to select an update,
so you can just append the full name (no v-r) of a build to select only
it or use shell pattern, e.g. gstreamer* to only get updates that
include a build or rpm matching this patterin.

> - Perhaps add a "(FEK)" or something to the comments? It would then be
> more obvious how many people are using this tool?

The git version will set it's own http user agent so people with access
to the server logs can create some usage statistics. But I could also
add this, if nobody objects.

Regards
Till