Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Thomas Janssen

Default Update question: some user data

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> I thought to myself yesterday, 'what this long and fractious thread
>> about update policy *really* needs is some unscientific and
>> controversial numbers'. =) So, I ran a forum poll! Everyone loves those,
>> right?
>>
>> Here it is: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=241710
>>
>> I tried to present the poll in a very neutral way, and as far as I know,
>> it hasn't been linked to from anywhere else; only regular forum members
>> are likely to come across it. So it shouldn't be massively inherently
>> biased, and has a reasonable shot of giving us a vague idea of what some
>> Real Fedora Users think.
>>
>> The numbers do surprise me, to be honest. As I write this, it's 34-8 -
>> that's over 80% - in favour of 'adventurous' updates. A lot of the
>> replies make it clear that people really do see being 'bleeding edge' as
>> being a part of Fedora's nature, and a part of the reason why they run
>> it. I wouldn't honestly have expected that; I'd have expected much
>> closer to a 50/50 split if anything. A lot of people explicitly say
>> things like 'I run Fedora so I can have the latest stuff on my desktop,
>> if I want a more conservative system I'll run CentOS'.
>>
>> No, the voting numbers aren't huge, but it's still some kind of data. I
>> can promote the poll to the forum front page to try and get more input,
>> if desired.
>>
>> What do people make of this?
>>

> I don't think people realize what they're asking for. *I'll just defer to
> my favorite Ford quote:

How comes? I think they do. I suspect those people voted what they want.

> "If I had asked my customers what they wanted," Ford said, "they would
> have said a faster horse."

And the world would be a better place without cars but faster horses

Anyways, since we have now two automobile vendors in this discussion
(one here and one in another thread (Toyota), cant tell exactly which
one), let me add something from this sector:

Inventions, new techs, better and safer cars comes from race cars,
included into the mainstream (stable) series of consumer cars.

> The best part of all of this is, it doesn't matter anymore. *We've let
> Fedora go completely directionless for years now. *If we listen to the
> users, they'll all tell us different things. *Especially if you get a
> sample size large enough (your poll isn't anywhere near large enough to be
> scientific which is why you called it unscientific

Quite interesting to me here is that i see only posts from people who
wants something new in Fedora. The opposite of what the poll/voting
determined. Telling that this voting/poll isn't representative

--
Best regards Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium

Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/07/2010 12:34 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I thought to myself yesterday, 'what this long and fractious thread
> about update policy *really* needs is some unscientific and
> controversial numbers'. =) So, I ran a forum poll! Everyone loves those,
> right?
>
> Here it is: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=241710
>
> No, the voting numbers aren't huge, but it's still some kind of data. I
> can promote the poll to the forum front page to try and get more input,
> if desired.
>
> What do people make of this?

I have promoted the poll to the front page in an effort to gather more
numbers and the stats are beginning to look different and if you want a
better measurement you can post in your blog and to the user mailing
list etc and gather more votes

Rahul

Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Doug Ledford

On 03/06/2010 03:15 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 11:04:31 -0800
> Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
>> What do people make of this?
>
> I'm no expert on polls/polling, but I suspect that many of the people
> who are more interested in a 'stable/less updates' Fedora don't
> frequent things like the forums or users list. Sure, they might search
> it or post a question when they run into an issue, but they are more
> likely to spend their time... well, using their machine.

Indeed. I can't vote because I don't even have an account there.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at

Old 03-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Adam Williamson

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 03:58 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/07/2010 12:34 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I thought to myself yesterday, 'what this long and fractious thread
> > about update policy *really* needs is some unscientific and
> > controversial numbers'. =) So, I ran a forum poll! Everyone loves those,
> > right?
> >
> > Here it is: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=241710
> >
> > No, the voting numbers aren't huge, but it's still some kind of data. I
> > can promote the poll to the forum front page to try and get more input,
> > if desired.
> >
> > What do people make of this?

> I have promoted the poll to the front page in an effort to gather more
> numbers and the stats are beginning to look different and if you want a
> better measurement you can post in your blog and to the user mailing
> list etc and gather more votes

I intentionally didn't post in my blog (and asked others not to post to
theirs) because it's possible - likely, in fact - that readers of any
one person's blog will be skewed somewhat to one side or the other (to
pick an obvious example, reader's of Kevin's blog would be mostly KDE
users and likely to skew to the adventurous side of the question). I
thought the best reliability we could get is to avoid having the poll
promoted outside the forums if possible. User mailing list would be
fine, though, please do post a link there!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-07-2010, 03:02 PM