Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Jesse Keating

Default Another great update

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Buildroot_override_SOP

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:24:24PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 11:33 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > I can't find the wiki page documenting buildroot overrides so I can't
> > confirm this. I thought that releng was asking for the overrides to be
> > removed when the package was pushed to stable but I could be wrong.
> >

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Buildroot_override_SOP

That's the page for releng's actions in response to a buildroot override
request. I'm looking for where it's documented when to ask for a buildroot
override, when to request the override go away, (and how to request the
override but that's a tangent to the question I needed answering).

-Toshio

Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 16:32 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:24:24PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 11:33 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > > I can't find the wiki page documenting buildroot overrides so I can't
> > > confirm this. I thought that releng was asking for the overrides to be
> > > removed when the package was pushed to stable but I could be wrong.
> > >

> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Buildroot_override_SOP
> >
> That's the page for releng's actions in response to a buildroot override
> request. I'm looking for where it's documented when to ask for a buildroot
> override, when to request the override go away, (and how to request the
> override but that's a tangent to the question I needed answering).

I don't know if such a page exists. If anybody would like to create
one, that would be awesome.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 02:05:05PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 16:32 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > That's the page for releng's actions in response to a buildroot override
> > request. I'm looking for where it's documented when to ask for a buildroot
> > override, when to request the override go away, (and how to request the
> > override but that's a tangent to the question I needed answering).
> >

> I don't know if such a page exists. If anybody would like to create
> one, that would be awesome.

I thought I recalled a page that at least spoke about when to request
a buildroot override and when to request the override be removed so that
I could answer the original question but I guess I'm misremembering.

-Toshio

Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Orcan Ogetbil

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 20:47 -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
>> Then make it 3 months, 4 months... Leave it in testing forever if you
>> get too many complaints. But make it available for those who want it.
>
> This is not the purpose of updates-testing, it is not an alternative
> update repo. It is there for focused testing of packages you - the
> developer - believe are already ready to be pushed out as updates;
> basically it's where you send your update 'release candidates' for
> others to make sure you got it right. If it works, it goes to updates.
> If not, you unpush it, fix it, and try again. Things should not live
> there.

I don't want to repeat myself all the way again. I don't buy this "you
should, you shouldn't, supposed to..." arguments. I have been using
updates-testing this way for a long time and I got nothing but
compliments.

Orcan

Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Till Maas

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 01:28:39AM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > Moreover you also have the option of updating security fixes only.
>
> That option doesn't really exist, as was already demonstrated:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-March/131926.html

So how many real problems did this cause? And why does nobody work on
fixing this, if it's not working? Also is there any real information
about how many packages switch to a different upstream branch within a
release lifetime while the old branch is still supported? E.g. for KDE
afaik the KDE SIG only switched to a new branch when the old one was not
supported anymore.

Regards
Till