Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Matthew Woehlke

Default Push scripts, mash (was: FESCo wants to ban direct stable pushes in Bodhi (urgent call for feedback))

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:30:05 -0600, Matthew wrote:
>> Probably because
>> I need multilib and have never experienced multilib-related problems (or
>> if I have, they were so trivial as to be thoroughly forgettable).
>
> Just out of interest, does enabling a separate 32-bit repository on a
> 64-bit installation lead to more/severe problems than using a multiarch
> repo?

I haven't tried it, but it at least introduces the question 'what
coreutils/X/KDE do you want?'.

Of course, I'd say that if that works decently, you're still providing
functional multilib. So I don't really care about how it happens under
the hood, as long as it works.

>> (From that, I guess that you consider testing of a
>> 32-bit program invalid unless done on a pure 32-bit kernel?
>
> No. I think it depends on what sort of program would be tested.
> A 32-bit multlib development environment on a 64-bit installation
> does not add a full 32-bit run-time environment.

Hmm, maybe then you are thinking of things that are far less
stand-alone. The only "run-time environment" we care about is that the
program can be executed (so, kernel can load it, glibc.i?86 exists,
etc.). We tend to have very few if any dependencies beyond libc (and
even then, beyond libc/libm/libpthread, we usually provide our own).

--
Matthew
. . . . . ##@NO CARRIER

Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Matthew Woehlke

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> as long as you require only a few 32-bit packages, requesting them
> explicitly is not the end of the world. So if we were to drop support
> for that "always install all libs as multilibs" option

Eh? I didn't even know there was such an option. And I agree, /that/
should be dropped.

> and require explicitly picking the wanted 32-bit stuff from the
> 32-bit repo, that shouldn't be a real issue for you.

As long as I can still install libs to build i*86 on my mostly-x86_64
system, without yum getting confused and broken, then I'm okay. My
concern is really just the "yum getting confused and broken" part. (I
would prefer to not have to jump through hoops to get i*86 stuff,
though, i.e. having to manually set up a repo would make me unhappy.)

--
Matthew
Oops. -- Shannon Foraker (David Weber, Ashes of Victory)

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Seth Vidal

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> as long as you require only a few 32-bit packages, requesting them
>> explicitly is not the end of the world. So if we were to drop support
>> for that "always install all libs as multilibs" option
>
> Eh? I didn't even know there was such an option. And I agree, /that/
> should be dropped.

man yum.conf; /multilib_policy

it is set to best in fedora.

>> and require explicitly picking the wanted 32-bit stuff from the
>> 32-bit repo, that shouldn't be a real issue for you.
>
> As long as I can still install libs to build i*86 on my mostly-x86_64
> system, without yum getting confused and broken, then I'm okay. My
> concern is really just the "yum getting confused and broken" part. (I
> would prefer to not have to jump through hoops to get i*86 stuff,
> though, i.e. having to manually set up a repo would make me unhappy.)

the issue is not yum getting confused but really there being some
interesting conflicting files..
-sv