Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Jon Masters

Default gnome-desktop meta package

Folks,

I just did a SPARC install (thanks to Dennis for the assistance too) and
elected only for a very minimal install. I then decided to add GNOME
bits just to see what worked for curiosity. I did an "yum install
gnome-desktop", thinking this would pull in nautilus, etc.

I don't think this is a secondary arch thing, but wouldn't it make sense
that this would pull in more than a few packages?

Jon.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 02:44 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

> I just did a SPARC install (thanks to Dennis for the assistance too) and
> elected only for a very minimal install. I then decided to add GNOME
> bits just to see what worked for curiosity. I did an "yum install
> gnome-desktop", thinking this would pull in nautilus, etc.
>
> I don't think this is a secondary arch thing, but wouldn't it make sense
> that this would pull in more than a few packages?

Skip it, I think I should just follow Jesse's advice and use the comps
group @gnome-desktop instead.

Jon.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Kevin Kofler

Jon Masters wrote:
> I just did a SPARC install (thanks to Dennis for the assistance too) and
> elected only for a very minimal install. I then decided to add GNOME
> bits just to see what worked for curiosity. I did an "yum install
> gnome-desktop", thinking this would pull in nautilus, etc.
>
> I don't think this is a secondary arch thing, but wouldn't it make sense
> that this would pull in more than a few packages?

gnome-desktop is not a metapackage, it's a library.

| The gnome-desktop package contains an internal library
| (libgnomedesktop) used to implement some portions of the GNOME
| desktop, and also some data files and other shared components of the
| GNOME user environment.

Kevin Kofler