Old 02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Mike Chambers

Default F13 Alpha RC4 install note(s)

Noticed that the partitioning menu changed some and can be confusing,
esp if doing a dual boot (win 7 and Fedora). A couple things I ran
into, and not sure if bugs or just *how it works*....

Setup - 2 HD's, both sata, one has Windows and other has Fedora.

1 - During selection, chose just the HD (check marked) that I was gonna
install onto, and that went fine. Cept, when got to the installing boot
loader, it only gave me that hd choice of where to install boot loader
and not the other which is the actual first drive (first selected to
boot in bios). So the install went on, and when boot after it was
finished, it wouldn't boot.

2 - During 2nd install, this time I chose both hd's to work on, the
windows hd as storage (mounted only) device and the other as the install
target. Install proceeded, but again the driver order didn't default to
correct order as previous installs so grub not installed correctly
again.

3 - During 3rd install, same as #2, cept this time I changed the drive
order to Windows being 1st. Install proceeded as normal, and this time
it booted, and all is well.

Oh, and that default=0 option in grub.conf that is used can be
confusion. When it booted and instead of grub menu/option, it just sat
there with a cursor for few seconds (10 or so maybe, tad longer), then
finally went to fedora logo screen during boot. So if not gonna change
grub back to default few seconds, then there needs to be a heck of a lot
smoother transition from bios/computer boot to linux booting (hope that
made sense) and a lot less waiting. Or at least a small fedora logo or
something to kill that few second wait or something.

Oh, and the font (on the menus during install) sucks LOL. Doesn't look
no where near as big or as dark or something compared to the last few
versions.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY