Old 02-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Colin Walters

Default default fedora-virt-server.ks

Hello internets,

I fairly strongly think we should have a default "Fedora Virt Server"
image. Rather than asking the internets to make it as I have in the
past, recently I needed to install one so I looked at what's out
there.

There is: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Server

But as far as I can tell have not produced any consumables (though I
hope some of the other stuff like NM/network work happened!) There is
also:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AOS_Spin

However, I wasn't actually interested in "ultra minimal", and in any
case the AOS Spin has a few serious flaws:

* Disables SELinux and the firewall - this is a dealbreaker.
* Uses a root password by default (this is broken)

Cobbler also has various sample kickstarts, which share the above flaws.

So here's what I propose. We create a spin, hosted in
spin-kickstarts.ks, called "fedora-virt-server.ks", which simply
reflects @base from comps, plus openssh-server.

The goal of "Fedora Virt Server" is:

* A default configuration suitable for virtualized use (i.e. uses full
hard drive by default, etc)
* Fully automated installation - absolutely no questions from anaconda.
* By default set up for remote access, thus openssh-server, and the
.ks file helps you set up a public SSH key (and *not* a root
password).

I've attached my proposed file, and will commit to spin-kickstarts
unless there are any objections.

Basically the idea is that you can use this kickstart file to get
something you can log into remotely and bootstrap whatever else you
want, whether that's mock (as it is in my case) or some web
application frontend, etc.

I'm hoping other people can help maintain this =) But I think this
use case should be very important to Fedora, as it's very important
for prominent derived operating systems. We should ensure that Fedora
stays fairly minimal in this case, and use it to showcase any work on
the core operating system (i.e. not the desktop).

Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 AM
Ryan Rix

On Thu 25 February 2010 8:59:23 pm Colin Walters wrote:
> I've attached my proposed file, and will commit to spin-kickstarts
> unless there are any objections.

Well, for one you've missed the spins submission deadline for Fedora 13...

--
Ryan Rix

Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Jesse Keating

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 03:59 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:

> So here's what I propose. We create a spin, hosted in
> spin-kickstarts.ks, called "fedora-virt-server.ks", which simply
> reflects @base from comps, plus openssh-server.

openssh-server is in the @core group, which means you cannot do a Fedora
install without getting openssh-server.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 AM
Garrett Holmstrom

On 2/25/2010 21:59, Colin Walters wrote:
> I fairly strongly think we should have a default "Fedora Virt Server"
> image. Rather than asking the internets to make it as I have in the
> past, recently I needed to install one so I looked at what's out
> there.
>
> There is: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Server
>
> But as far as I can tell have not produced any consumables (though I
> hope some of the other stuff like NM/network work happened!) There is
> also:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AOS_Spin
>
> However, I wasn't actually interested in "ultra minimal", and in any
> case the AOS Spin has a few serious flaws:
>
> * Disables SELinux and the firewall - this is a dealbreaker.
> * Uses a root password by default (this is broken)
>
> Cobbler also has various sample kickstarts, which share the above flaws.
>
> So here's what I propose. We create a spin, hosted in
> spin-kickstarts.ks, called "fedora-virt-server.ks", which simply
> reflects @base from comps, plus openssh-server.
>
> The goal of "Fedora Virt Server" is:
>
> * A default configuration suitable for virtualized use (i.e. uses full
> hard drive by default, etc)
> * Fully automated installation - absolutely no questions from anaconda.
> * By default set up for remote access, thus openssh-server, and the
> .ks file helps you set up a public SSH key (and *not* a root
> password).
>
> I've attached my proposed file, and will commit to spin-kickstarts
> unless there are any objections.
>
> Basically the idea is that you can use this kickstart file to get
> something you can log into remotely and bootstrap whatever else you
> want, whether that's mock (as it is in my case) or some web
> application frontend, etc.
>
> I'm hoping other people can help maintain this =) But I think this
> use case should be very important to Fedora, as it's very important
> for prominent derived operating systems. We should ensure that Fedora
> stays fairly minimal in this case, and use it to showcase any work on
> the core operating system (i.e. not the desktop).

The Cloud SIG is working on that type of thing right now, kickstart and
all. (Actually we already have a proposed kickstart that's more minimal
than that if you want to take a look at it.) I recommend subscribing to
the cloud list and/or hanging out on #fedora-cloud.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraOnEC2
http://github.com/huff/kickstart-stuff/blob/master/fedora-ec2-min.ks

Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Adam Miller

I really like Colin's idea, if the original needs scoped by Colin are
not fulfilled by the efforts of the Cloud SIG then I would be willing
to help maintain.

Also, I was unaware of the Cloud SIG and will probably start looking
into poking my head in that direction in the near future.

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com

Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Colin Walters

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:21 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 03:59 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
>>
>> So here's what I propose. *We create a spin, hosted in
>> spin-kickstarts.ks, called "fedora-virt-server.ks", which simply
>> reflects @base from comps, plus openssh-server.
>
> openssh-server is in the @core group, which means you cannot do a Fedora
> install without getting openssh-server.

Oops right you are, I missed that when scanning comps. Fixed.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Colin Walters

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Garrett Holmstrom
<gholms@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> The Cloud SIG is working on that type of thing right now, kickstart and
> all. *(Actually we already have a proposed kickstart that's more minimal
> than that if you want to take a look at it.) *I recommend subscribing to
> the cloud list and/or hanging out on #fedora-cloud.

Cool! Was not aware of this effort; I'll follow up there since what I
want is closely related.