Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Adam Jackson

Default Impending X driver deprecation

I'm grinding through porting the various X drivers to the new server
APIs, and I'm taking the opportunity to clean house a bit. Here's what
I'm planning:

The avivo driver is going away, it's a dead end upstream, both the
radeon-atombios and radeonhd projects look significantly more viable. I
don't have a plan yet for which one to enable for F9 though.

The vga driver is going away. It hasn't been installed by default since
F7, and no one seems to have noticed, let alone complained. It's not a
usable driver anyway, it can't do greater than 8bpp and Gnome won't even
launch on that anymore.

The ark, chips, s3, and tseng drivers are going away. These are all
really boring early PCI chipsets that don't even have a 3d engine. They
should be adequately serviced by the vesa driver. (Note that there are
three drivers for the various S3 cards: s3, s3virge, and savage. s3 is
for the old pre-Virge chips, 968 and Trio and friends. s3virge and
savage are not being dropped.)

The vesa driver will be updated to Obsolete these drivers (except avivo)
and sufficient magic will happen to get anyone still using them silently
moved onto vesa. Whichever of radeon or radeonhd we end up using for
R500+ chips will Obsolete avivo.

If you object to any part of this plan, speak loudly, now.

- ajax

Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Alan Cox

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:29:29PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> The ark, chips, s3, and tseng drivers are going away. These are all

Object object object. The C&T 655xx mode setting is essential for all the
small LCD displays on low power boxes I have. VESA won't set the modes
right on these.

> really boring early PCI chipsets that don't even have a 3d engine. They

Yeah but they do support old very cheap low power flat panels that the banks
threw out by the zillion and made their way onto ebay

I've got several C&T systems I depend upon so I'm happy to help test/debug
C&T problems if that is needed.

Alan

Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> Yeah but they do support old very cheap low power flat panels that the
> banks
> threw out by the zillion and made their way onto ebay

+1 Agreed. I typically use hardware older than my children, which has
always been a big selling point for Linux in general. I suppose I could
use Slackware. .(ducks)

--
novus ordo absurdum

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Adam Jackson

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 14:53 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:29:29PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > really boring early PCI chipsets that don't even have a 3d engine. They
>
> Yeah but they do support old very cheap low power flat panels that the banks
> threw out by the zillion and made their way onto ebay
>
> I've got several C&T systems I depend upon so I'm happy to help test/debug
> C&T problems if that is needed.

chips will be spared from the coming apocalypse.

- ajax

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Warren Togami

Adam Jackson wrote:

I'm grinding through porting the various X drivers to the new server
APIs, and I'm taking the opportunity to clean house a bit. Here's what
I'm planning:

http://www.x.org/wiki/AMDGeodeDriver
Could you help to port the AMD Geode driver to newer API's? It is a
very common chipset used in thin client hardware (as well as OLPC).

The ark, chips, s3, and tseng drivers are going away. These are all
really boring early PCI chipsets that don't even have a 3d engine. They
should be adequately serviced by the vesa driver. (Note that there are
three drivers for the various S3 cards: s3, s3virge, and savage. s3 is
for the old pre-Virge chips, 968 and Trio and friends. s3virge and
savage are not being dropped.)

Please reconsider s3?

It is used by several of the thin client models selling today, and
Intel's "Affordable PC" reference platform that is being sold in large
numbers in the developing world (e.g. China) by companies like Dell.

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

Old 01-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:16:03 -0500
Warren Togami <wtogami@redhat.com> wrote:

> Please reconsider s3?
>
> It is used by several of the thin client models selling today, and
> Intel's "Affordable PC" reference platform that is being sold in
> large numbers in the developing world (e.g. China) by companies like
> Dell.

Why do you need a specific driver for these instead of Vesa?

--
Jesse Keating

Old 01-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Warren Togami

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:16:03 -0500
It is used by several of the thin client models selling today, and
Intel's "Affordable PC" reference platform that is being sold in

large numbers in the developing world (e.g. China) by companies like
Dell.

Why do you need a specific driver for these instead of Vesa?

I was under the impression that performance is much more usable with s3
than vesa, especially on very slow machines like these. I will not be
able to test it until I get back from Raleigh late next week.

(*WHY* does Intel's APC have such a crappy non-Intel video card?)

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Felix Miata

On 2008/01/09 14:29 (GMT-0500) Adam Jackson apparently typed:

> The ark, chips, s3, and tseng drivers are going away.

> If you object to any part of this plan, speak loudly, now.

Tseng ET6x00 made one of the best price to performance ratio low/mid cost PCI
gfxcards ever made. They're highly suitable for forced system upgraders stuck
with no AGP slots, no need for 3D silliness, or money to waste on expensive
PCIx cards they have no use for. They also provide DOS support equalled only
by the lowly Trident chips that doesn't exist at even a minimalist level in
current chips. I still have about 8 ET6x00 in functional machines. So as to
Tseng, I object X8.
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

On 10.01.2008 03:36, Warren Togami wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:16:03 -0500
>> Warren Togami <wtogami@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Please reconsider s3?
>>>
>>> It is used by several of the thin client models selling today, and
>>> Intel's "Affordable PC" reference platform that is being sold in
>>> large numbers in the developing world (e.g. China) by companies like
>>> Dell.

Are you sure it's s3? It's IIRC a SiS-Chipset. See

http://www.sis.com/pressroom/pressrelease_000287.htm
[...]
Another best-value PC solution presented at IDF is Dell’s Affordable PC
(APC) EC280, which is developed by SiS and Dell for the emerging market.
The Dell EC280 adopts the SiSM661GX chipset to support Intel FSB533MHz
CPU and DDR 333 memory.
[...]

SiSM661GX is driven by xorg-x11-drv-sis

> (*WHY* does Intel's APC have such a crappy non-Intel video card?)

That's a interesting question )

CU
knurd

Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Hans de Goede

Adam Jackson wrote:
I'm grinding through porting the various X drivers to the new server
APIs, and I'm taking the opportunity to clean house a bit. Here's what
I'm planning:

The ark, chips, s3, and tseng drivers are going away. These are all
really boring early PCI chipsets that don't even have a 3d engine. They
should be adequately serviced by the vesa driver. (Note that there are
three drivers for the various S3 cards: s3, s3virge, and savage. s3 is
for the old pre-Virge chips, 968 and Trio and friends. s3virge and
savage are not being dropped.)

Sorry for not properly replying to the top post, I already deleted it when I
thought of this.

I used to be the happy owner of a couple of s3 864 and trio64 cards back in the
days, and I'm afraid the contigency plan of moving these over to vesa will not
work. There BIOS's did not have vesa support, you needed to load a vesa driver
(tsr) under dos to be able to use the vesa modes from dos programs. I still
remember being amazed by some of the later cards actually having vesa in the
bios, but those early cards did _not_ have vesa support in the bios.

Regards,

Hans