Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default fedora-release-rawhide, et. al.

Right now, we have the following:

F13 branched tree:
fedora-release - enabled - points to F13
fedora-release-rawhide - disabled - points to rawhide

Rawhide:
fedora-release - enabled - sets releasever to 14, ergo points to rawhide
fedora-release-rahwide - disabled - points to rawhide

This would imply that fedora-release-rawhide doesn't serve much purpose
*in* rawhide. So, I'm wondering if we might want to do this differently.

Proposal: don't ship fedora-release-rawhide at all. To move between
streams, run "yum --releasever <whatever> install/upgrade fedora-release"

Going over the various usage cases:

1) Release has not yet branched, want to switch, or use rawhide packges

Currently:
yum install fedora-release-rawhide
yum --enablerepo=rawhide ...

New:
yum --releasever=<next> ...

2) Release has branched; want to pull from never-frozen rawhide devel
stream.

Currently:
yum install fedora-release-rawhide
yum --enablerepo=rawhide ...

New:
yum --releasever=<next> ...

3) You're on rawhide, the release has branched, you want to go to the
stable release.

Currently:
If you don't have rawhide enabled, do nothing - this happens automatically.
If you do have rawhide enabled:
... you're kind of screwed.

New:
Do nothing - this happens automatically.

4) You're on rawhide, the release has branched, and you want to *stay*
on rawhide.

Currently:
If you're using fedora-release-rawhide to be on rawhide, do nothing.
If you're using fedora-release + MM:
yum install fedora-release-rawhide
yum --enablerepo=rawhide upgrade

New:
yum --releasever=<next> upgrade

Am I missing something? Do people think this would be better, or worse?

Bill

Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Seth Vidal

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Proposal: don't ship fedora-release-rawhide at all. To move between
> streams, run "yum --releasever <whatever> install/upgrade fedora-release"
>
> yum --releasever=<next> upgrade
>
> Am I missing something? Do people think this would be better, or worse?

gpg signatures.

changing the releasever points to a different set of repos and,
potentially, different (or no) sigs.

how will that work?

-sv

Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Bill Nottingham

Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > Proposal: don't ship fedora-release-rawhide at all. To move between
> > streams, run "yum --releasever <whatever> install/upgrade fedora-release"
> >
> > yum --releasever=<next> upgrade
> >
> > Am I missing something? Do people think this would be better, or worse?
>
> gpg signatures.
>
> changing the releasever points to a different set of repos and,
> potentially, different (or no) sigs.
>
> how will that work?

By going to repo-wide keys!

(Yes, I realize that doesn't actually 'solve' the scenario you mention.)

Bill

Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Seth Vidal

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> Proposal: don't ship fedora-release-rawhide at all. To move between
>>> streams, run "yum --releasever <whatever> install/upgrade fedora-release"
>>>
>>> yum --releasever=<next> upgrade
>>>
>>> Am I missing something? Do people think this would be better, or worse?
>>
>> gpg signatures.
>>
>> changing the releasever points to a different set of repos and,
>> potentially, different (or no) sigs.
>>
>> how will that work?
>
> By going to repo-wide keys!
>
> (Yes, I realize that doesn't actually 'solve' the scenario you mention.)

I am not suggesting this but:

yum --nogpgcheck --releasever=something update fedora-release

might work

-sv