Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

Default scythia-0.9.3-5.fc14

On Thursday 25 February 2010 07:46:21 Haïkel Guémar wrote:
> Le 25/02/2010 05:32, Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> > PS:
> > Running application X built against Qt 4.5.x with Qt 4.6.x SHOULD work.
> > Running application X built against Qt 4.6.x with Qt 4.5.x WILL NOT work
> > (and this is why pushing apps built against a new Qt to stable BEFORE
> > that Qt gets pushed to stable is a bad idea, but rebuilding appliations
> > for the new Qt is normally NOT needed).
> > This is known as one-way (backwards only) compatibility, and quite
> > common.
> >
> > That said, some applications do need to be rebuilt due to backwards
> > compatibility issues, or get more features when rebuilt against a newer
> > Qt. But as you did not include a Bugzilla reference nor any other form
> > of rationale, I can't figure out why you rebuilt this particular
> > application.
> >
> > Kevin Kofler
>
> I experienced few network hangs-up using Scythia/Qt 4.6.x, recompiling
> seemed to solve them.

Well, It should be reported.

--
Jaroslav Řezn*k <jreznik@redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 731 455 332
Red Hat, Inc. http://cz.redhat.com/

Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Kevin Kofler

Hakel Gumar wrote:
> I experienced few network hangs-up using Scythia/Qt 4.6.x, recompiling
> seemed to solve them. Since Qt 4.6.x wasn't in package collection yet,
> there was no ticket in RHBZ.

Well, if you had talked to us about it, we could have bundled the rebuild
together with the big update, like we did for a couple other apps which
needed rebuilds for some reason.

But it doesn't matter now, I see your updates are queued for stable now, so
it's going to be fixed in the next push.

(FWIW, this is clearly a Qt bug, it's not supposed to be necessary to
rebuild anything. Sadly, binary compatibility has been lackluster in recent
times. :-( )

Kevin Kofler

Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
H. Gumar

2010/2/25 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>:

> Well, if you had talked to us about it, we could have bundled the rebuild
> together with the big update, like we did for a couple other apps which
> needed rebuilds for some reason.
>
> But it doesn't matter now, I see your updates are queued for stable now, so
> it's going to be fixed in the next push.

i'll take note of it.

> (FWIW, this is clearly a Qt bug, it's not supposed to be necessary to
> rebuild anything. Sadly, binary compatibility has been lackluster in recent
> times. :-( )

+1, i've had few issues migrating applications to Qt 4.6 but still a
great release.

H.