Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Ivana Hutarova Varekova

Default switching from man to man-db

Hello,
I'd like to switch from man
(http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/man/) to man-db project
(http://man-db.nongnu.org/).
man-db seems for me to be better choice then the original man. The
reasons are:
* the upstream very active in man-db, man upstream almost does not
response and the last version was released in 2007
* because of the previous comment man-db have more features then man
* man-db uses Berkeley db instead of text file for the index of man pages
* Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE use man-db
As the first step I want to add man-db to fedora cvs.
Comments welcomed.

Ivana

Old 02-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:34:00 +0100
Ivana Hutarova Varekova <varekova@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'd like to switch from man
> (http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/man/) to man-db project
> (http://man-db.nongnu.org/).
> man-db seems for me to be better choice then the original man. The
> reasons are:
> * the upstream very active in man-db, man upstream almost does not
> response and the last version was released in 2007
> * because of the previous comment man-db have more features then man
> * man-db uses Berkeley db instead of text file for the index of man
> pages
> * Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE use man-db
> As the first step I want to add man-db to fedora cvs.
> Comments welcomed.

I think this is a good idea.

This would of course need to be a new package that would either not
conflict with or simply obsolete/replace the existing man-db package,
right?

kevin

Old 02-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Kevin Kofler

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> This would of course need to be a new package that would either not
> conflict with or simply obsolete/replace the existing man-db package,
> right?

I'd say Obsoletes/Provides is the best solution.

Kevin Kofler

Old 02-25-2010, 05:54 AM
Ivana Hutarova Varekova

On 02/25/2010 05:13 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>> This would of course need to be a new package that would either not
>> conflict with or simply obsolete/replace the existing man-db package,
>> right?
>>
> I'd say Obsoletes/Provides is the best solution.
>
> Kevin Kofler

Yes I agree, the idea is to add obsolete/provides. Man-db have the a lot
of functionality which is the same with man, so theer are a lot of
conflicts and if the package will replace man, the it has no sense to
rename or remove conflicting files from man-db.
Ivana Hutarova Varekova