Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Richard Zidlicky

Default hdparm -B for netbooks

Hi,

I have one of these netbooks that need "hdparm -B high_value" to avoid unhealthy
frequent head parking. From some archived mails I had the impression that it was
planned that gnome power manager and similar would take care of such issues - which
does not appear to happen in my case.

What is the state of this - is some package responsible for this or is it up to
the user to do it manualy?

Richard

Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:10:03PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one of these netbooks that need "hdparm -B high_value" to avoid unhealthy
> frequent head parking. From some archived mails I had the impression that it was
> planned that gnome power manager and similar would take care of such issues - which
> does not appear to happen in my case.
>
> What is the state of this - is some package responsible for this or is it up to
> the user to do it manualy?

We have no understanding of the problem, its cause or the possible
harmful effects of changing the BIOS's settings automatically. These
make it rather trickier to do much about the issue.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Richard Zidlicky

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:18:21PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:10:03PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> > Hi,

> > What is the state of this - is some package responsible for this or is it up to
> > the user to do it manualy?
>
> We have no understanding of the problem, its cause or the possible
> harmful effects of changing the BIOS's settings automatically. These
> make it rather trickier to do much about the issue.

it was my understanding that "hdparm -B" has nothing to do with the BIOS but changes
the power management feature specific to the drive?

Richard

Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:34:54PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:18:21PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:10:03PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> > > Hi,
>
> > > What is the state of this - is some package responsible for this or is it up to
> > > the user to do it manualy?
> >
> > We have no understanding of the problem, its cause or the possible
> > harmful effects of changing the BIOS's settings automatically. These
> > make it rather trickier to do much about the issue.
>
> it was my understanding that "hdparm -B" has nothing to do with the BIOS but changes
> the power management feature specific to the drive?

Yes. Some BIOS'es can override drive settings, but in many cases they
don't touch the drive's default values. Neither does Linux. So any
problems with the default values are the drive's own issues...or so
the argument goes.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:34:54PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> it was my understanding that "hdparm -B" has nothing to do with the BIOS but changes
> the power management feature specific to the drive?

Either the drive set the initial value, or the BIOS did. We tend to
assume that there was some reason for that...

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Matthew Garrett wrote on 23.02.2010 23:09:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:34:54PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
>
>> it was my understanding that "hdparm -B" has nothing to do with the BIOS but changes
>> the power management feature specific to the drive?
> Either the drive set the initial value, or the BIOS did. We tend to
> assume that there was some reason for that...

And what does Windows do? I have the strange feeling it doesn't assume
the same and instead simply sets something it thinks is sensible, which
afaics results in Hardware manufactures not to care much what the
initial value for the drive is or what the BIOS sets. If that's the case
(I never checked and am not familiar with Windows enough to know) then
wouldn't it be the most sensible thing to do something similar?

CU
knurd

Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Till Maas

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:10:03PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> I have one of these netbooks that need "hdparm -B high_value" to avoid unhealthy
> frequent head parking. From some archived mails I had the impression that it was
> planned that gnome power manager and similar would take care of such issues - which
> does not appear to happen in my case.
>
> What is the state of this - is some package responsible for this or is it up to
> the user to do it manualy?

You have to set it manually at bootup (add it to /etc/rc.local), but
after suspend/hibernate the values are normally restored by pm-utils
(eventually this might happen in the kernel). In the past some devices
needed a manual override in /etc/pm-utils-hd-apm-restore.conf But this
might not be needed anymore.

Regards
Till

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
"Chen Lei"

This is not a big problem, you can use pm-utils to solve this bug by throwing srcipts to /etc/pm/sleep.d and /etc/pm/power.d.

ňťĘ2010-02-24┬*04:10:03´╝î"Richard┬*Zidlicky"┬*<rz@linux-m68k.org>┬*ňćÖÚüô´╝Ü

Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Ralf Ertzinger

Hi.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:09:39 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> Either the drive set the initial value, or the BIOS did. We tend to
> assume that there was some reason for that...

Well, the BIOS also sets the VGA resolution to 80x25.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Adam Jackson

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:17 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:09:39 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Either the drive set the initial value, or the BIOS did. We tend to
> > assume that there was some reason for that...
>
> Well, the BIOS also sets the VGA resolution to 80x25.

ITYM 720x400. The reason for which is DOS compatibility, and we're not
interested in being DOS compatible. Moreover, we go out and discover
what resolutions _are_ possible, and filter them against the hardware's
capabilities in terms of maximum pixel clock, memory bandwidth, and so
forth. We have constraints, they are discoverable, and we know how to
operate within them.

Whereas for disks, we don't have the constraints that determined the
initial choice of APM setting, so we're best off not messing with it in
the general case.

- ajax