FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

Hi,

for all maintainers of packages which BuildRequire qt4-devel (or qt-devel, but
the versioned virtual Provides is preferred): please, when you plan to push
updates for your packages, ALWAYS CHECK what version of Qt your package got
built against and DO NOT PUSH your update to stable before that version of Qt
goes stable! A package built against Qt 4.6 WILL NOT WORK AT ALL with Qt
4.5!!! (This is always the case, Qt is backwards- but not forwards-
compatible.)

Currently, buildroot overrides for Qt 4.6 are in effect (intermittently, as Qt
4.6 can and will be untagged from the buildroot on request to build updates
which need to go out soon, but we need it in the buildroot to build anything
related to KDE 4.4), so a package built now CANNOT go to stable before the big
Qt 4.6 / KDE 4.4 / SIP 4.10 update does. If you need to push an urgent update,
please ask Rex Dieter (rdieter on Freenode IRC) or another rel-eng member to
get the stuff out of the buildroot for a moment, and follow the instructions
given on IRC. If your update is not urgent, I recommend just not pushing it
out to stable before the big Qt/KDE/SIP update.

NOT FOLLOWING THOSE INSTRUCTIONS WILL LEAD TO YOUR PACKAGE BEING BROKEN IN THE
STABLE UPDATES!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I am sorry if I sound abrasive, but we already had at least 2 packages which
were broken due to this issue (just for 4.6, there were more such issues with
previous upgrades) and it looks like our previous devel-announce message was
not clear enough. Please double-check before you hit that "push to stable"
button! Thanks in advance.

We will look into using some less dangerous process (special build tags?) for
future Qt updates as this is just not working, but for now please be careful.

Kevin Kofler
_______________________________________________
devel-announce mailing list
devel-announce@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel-announce
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

I wrote:
> for all maintainers of packages which BuildRequire qt4-devel (or qt-devel,
> but the versioned virtual Provides is preferred): please, when you plan to
> push updates for your packages, ALWAYS CHECK what version of Qt your
> package got built against and DO NOT PUSH your update to stable before
> that version of Qt goes stable! A package built against Qt 4.6 WILL NOT
> WORK AT ALL with Qt 4.5!!! (This is always the case, Qt is backwards- but
> not forwards- compatible.)

FYI, while the above is still sane advice (it's always a good idea to verify
that you aren't building against a newer Qt from a buildroot override!), Qt
4.6.2 is now queued for the stable updates (it was decided in today's KDE
SIG meeting to push the big Qt 4.6.2 / KDE 4.4.0 / SIP 4.10 update set out),
so this particular version bump should no longer be a source of trouble.

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Tom Lane
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> writes:
> I wrote:
>> for all maintainers of packages which BuildRequire qt4-devel (or qt-devel,
>> but the versioned virtual Provides is preferred): please, when you plan to
>> push updates for your packages, ALWAYS CHECK what version of Qt your
>> package got built against and DO NOT PUSH your update to stable before
>> that version of Qt goes stable! A package built against Qt 4.6 WILL NOT
>> WORK AT ALL with Qt 4.5!!! (This is always the case, Qt is backwards- but
>> not forwards- compatible.)

> FYI, while the above is still sane advice (it's always a good idea to verify
> that you aren't building against a newer Qt from a buildroot override!), Qt
> 4.6.2 is now queued for the stable updates (it was decided in today's KDE
> SIG meeting to push the big Qt 4.6.2 / KDE 4.4.0 / SIP 4.10 update set out),
> so this particular version bump should no longer be a source of trouble.

I guess I am wondering why such a change is being made in a "stable"
branch in the first place. Why isn't this sort of thing strictly
rawhide material?

regards, tom lane
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

Tom Lane wrote:

> I guess I am wondering why such a change is being made in a "stable"
> branch in the first place. Why isn't this sort of thing strictly
> rawhide material?

To be clear, it's a backward, but not forward compatible change in question,
which similarly affects lots of newer software. That said, it's still not
something to taken lightly, but we (the royal we, kde-sig) consider this
case to be well worth it.

-- Rex


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Till Maas
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:41:59PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > for all maintainers of packages which BuildRequire qt4-devel (or qt-devel,
> > but the versioned virtual Provides is preferred): please, when you plan to
> > push updates for your packages, ALWAYS CHECK what version of Qt your
> > package got built against and DO NOT PUSH your update to stable before
> > that version of Qt goes stable! A package built against Qt 4.6 WILL NOT
> > WORK AT ALL with Qt 4.5!!! (This is always the case, Qt is backwards- but
> > not forwards- compatible.)
>
> FYI, while the above is still sane advice (it's always a good idea to verify
> that you aren't building against a newer Qt from a buildroot override!), Qt
> 4.6.2 is now queued for the stable updates (it was decided in today's KDE
> SIG meeting to push the big Qt 4.6.2 / KDE 4.4.0 / SIP 4.10 update set out),
> so this particular version bump should no longer be a source of trouble.

Now that I know the command to do this, here it is:

$ koji latest-pkg dist-f12-build qt | grep override

If this returns something, the package must only be moved to stable
together with the big qt update.

Regards
Till
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

Till Maas wrote:
> Now that I know the command to do this, here it is:
>
> $ koji latest-pkg dist-f12-build qt | grep override
>
> If this returns something, the package must only be moved to stable
> together with the big qt update.

Right, I should have included this hint, thanks for pointing that out!

FYI, the next time we may have this issue for Qt-only packages is Qt 4.7
which will be out in a few weeks (shorter release cycle as usual). Things
like Plasma applets/widgets or KParts can have similar issues with the KDE
4.4.1 update group which we'll start building soon though (as Plasma and
KParts are very strict about minimum version checks and enforce even the
point release), please check the version of kdelibs you're building against
for those.

I guess we should use a special build tag instead of polluting the default
buildroot though, and we may well try out this approach with KDE 4.4.1.

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Ralf Ertzinger
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

Hi.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 04:40:38 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote

> built against Qt 4.6 WILL NOT WORK AT ALL with Qt 4.5!!! (This is
> always the case, Qt is backwards- but not forwards- compatible.)

And sometimes not even that. I rather suspect this bug is caused
by the update from 4.5 to 4.6:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=569189

Rebuilding against 4.6 does not actually help, though.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Read this if your package BuildRequires qt(4)-devel!!!

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 04:40:38 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote
>
>> built against Qt 4.6 WILL NOT WORK AT ALL with Qt 4.5!!! (This is
>> always the case, Qt is backwards- but not forwards- compatible.)
>
> And sometimes not even that. I rather suspect this bug is caused
> by the update from 4.5 to 4.6:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=569189
>
> Rebuilding against 4.6 does not actually help, though.

That's actually a bug in a patch we're applying (which comes from a
bugs.kde.org attachment). I fixed that patch over the weekend and updates
are now queued for stable (directly, as it's a recent regression, the impact
is quite bad (print dialog crashing for affected users) and the fix is
trivial).

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org