Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Bernardo Innocenti

Default ctrlproxy

(cc dwmw2, fedora-devel)

Josh Boyer wrote:

I'd like to import the latest version of ctrlproxy because
3.0.2 randomly crashes every few days of operation.

Odd, I've been running it without problems for quite a while.

Hmmm... Must be something specific to my configuration, then.
I'm thinking x86_64, or the fact that I connect through 2 xchat
clients all the time. Or irssi-style logging.

Additionally, I wrote an initscript to run ctrlproxy
as a daemon. Would you approve such a change to the package?

Oh, interesting.

I've scratch-built a candidate RPM for you to try:

It includes both ctrlproxy-3.0.5 and the daemonization work.
I'm also cc'ing dwmw2 because I know he uses ctrlproxy and
may like to test this new version.

Could you open a bug in bugzilla and attach a patch there? (Or point
to the SRPM from there.) I'd certainly be interested in the changes.

Unfortunately, I could never catch ctrlproxy 3.0.3 crashing
when I had enabled coredumps with ulimit. Since I upgraded
to 3.0.5, I've not yet seen another crash.

--
\___/
|___| Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/

Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:38:53 -0500
Bernardo Innocenti <bernie@codewiz.org> wrote:

> (cc dwmw2, fedora-devel)
>
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to import the latest version of ctrlproxy because
> >> 3.0.2 randomly crashes every few days of operation.
> >
> > Odd, I've been running it without problems for quite a while.
>
> Hmmm... Must be something specific to my configuration, then.
> I'm thinking x86_64, or the fact that I connect through 2 xchat
> clients all the time. Or irssi-style logging.

I have it running on x86_64, using 2-3 xchat clients at a time. Not
sure if I have logging enabled.

By chance do you have it running under a different locale?

> >> Additionally, I wrote an initscript to run ctrlproxy
> >> as a daemon. Would you approve such a change to the package?
> >
> > Oh, interesting.
>
> I've scratch-built a candidate RPM for you to try:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=336094
>
> It includes both ctrlproxy-3.0.5 and the daemonization work.
> I'm also cc'ing dwmw2 because I know he uses ctrlproxy and
> may like to test this new version.

OK, I'll take a look soon.

> > Could you open a bug in bugzilla and attach a patch there? (Or point
> > to the SRPM from there.) I'd certainly be interested in the changes.
>
> Unfortunately, I could never catch ctrlproxy 3.0.3 crashing
> when I had enabled coredumps with ulimit. Since I upgraded
> to 3.0.5, I've not yet seen another crash.

Upgrading is easy enough. I'll get it done when I can.

josh

Old 01-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Bernardo Innocenti

Josh Boyer wrote:

> By chance do you have it running under a different locale?

Yes: to speedup boot, I have commented out the "LANG=..." line
in my /etc/sysconfig/i18n. As a result, all daemons run with
the C locale. I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in my ~/.i18n.

Too bad there's no C.UTF-8 in glibc. It should be the default :-)

--
\___/

Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Stepan Kasal

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 12:52:38PM -0500, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
> > By chance do you have it running under a different locale?
>
> Yes: to speedup boot, I have commented out the "LANG=..." line
> in my /etc/sysconfig/i18n. As a result, all daemons run with
> the C locale. I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in my ~/.i18n.
>
> Too bad there's no C.UTF-8 in glibc. It should be the default :-)

I believe the right content of /etc/sysconfig/i18n is:
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8

AFAIK, it does what one would expect from LANG=C.UTF-8.

And yes, it is confusing that C.UTF-8 does not exist. If it existed,
I would probably have switched to Unicode a few years earlier.

Stepan