Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

Default Pulse Audio 0.9.8 - upgrade?

Hi,
I saw that Pulse Audio 0.9.8 got released two months ago:
http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
and I see on my Fedora 8 that we still have 0.9.7

$ pulseaudio --version
pulseaudio 0.9.7

Will there be an upgrade soon on Fedora 8 to Pulse Audio 0.9.8?

Lost of issues have been fixed in new Pulse Audio so users like me who
have issues with Pulse Audio would appreciate the much needed upgrade.

Thank you,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:20:46 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> Hi,
> I saw that Pulse Audio 0.9.8 got released two months ago:
> http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
> and I see on my Fedora 8 that we still have 0.9.7
>
> $ pulseaudio --version
> pulseaudio 0.9.7
>
> Will there be an upgrade soon on Fedora 8 to Pulse Audio 0.9.8?
>
> Lost of issues have been fixed in new Pulse Audio so users like me who
> have issues with Pulse Audio would appreciate the much needed upgrade.

I'm sure the person who maintains the Fedora packages is aware of that.
Just notice the connection between Pulse Audio and Red Hat.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

On 1/9/08, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam@arcor.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:20:46 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I saw that Pulse Audio 0.9.8 got released two months ago:
> > http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
> > and I see on my Fedora 8 that we still have 0.9.7
> >
> > $ pulseaudio --version
> > pulseaudio 0.9.7
> >
> > Will there be an upgrade soon on Fedora 8 to Pulse Audio 0.9.8?
> >
> > Lost of issues have been fixed in new Pulse Audio so users like me who
> > have issues with Pulse Audio would appreciate the much needed upgrade.
>
> I'm sure the person who maintains the Fedora packages is aware of that.
> Just notice the connection between Pulse Audio and Red Hat.

I'm sure he is aware of that but I am not - that is why I wrote this email.

Valent.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Lubomir Kundrak

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 13:46 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On 1/9/08, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam@arcor.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:20:46 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I saw that Pulse Audio 0.9.8 got released two months ago:
> > > http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
> > > and I see on my Fedora 8 that we still have 0.9.7
> > >
> > > $ pulseaudio --version
> > > pulseaudio 0.9.7
> > >
> > > Will there be an upgrade soon on Fedora 8 to Pulse Audio 0.9.8?
> > >
> > > Lost of issues have been fixed in new Pulse Audio so users like me who
> > > have issues with Pulse Audio would appreciate the much needed upgrade.
> >
> > I'm sure the person who maintains the Fedora packages is aware of that.
> > Just notice the connection between Pulse Audio and Red Hat.
>
> I'm sure he is aware of that but I am not - that is why I wrote this email.

I know the answer -- He decided to save us from an useless upgrade that
would solve none of our problems. This applies for all package
maintainers who value bandwidth and time of the users more than a change
of one digit in a version number -- my thanks to them.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On 1/9/08, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak@redhat.com> wrote:

> I know the answer -- He decided to save us from an useless upgrade that
> would solve none of our problems. This applies for all package
> maintainers who value bandwidth and time of the users more than a change
> of one digit in a version number -- my thanks to them.

I recompiled 0.9.8 (taken from rawhide) on my F-8 systems and I think
that it's markedly improved from the version available in F-8. I
haven't done a full comparison, but I don't think that the source in
F-8 is even the full 0.9.7, but is a snapshot taken from subversion
almost two weeks before 0.9.7 was released (0.9.7 was released on
2007-10-30 and the snapshot inlcuded in F-8 was taken on 2007-10-17).

Jeff

Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
"Christopher Brown"

On 09/01/2008, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 13:46 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> > > I'm sure the person who maintains the Fedora packages is aware of that.
> > > Just notice the connection between Pulse Audio and Red Hat.
> >
> > I'm sure he is aware of that but I am not - that is why I wrote this email.
>
> I know the answer -- He decided to save us from an useless upgrade that
> would solve none of our problems. This applies for all package
> maintainers who value bandwidth and time of the users more than a change
> of one digit in a version number -- my thanks to them.

That is perhaps one view. Then there will be the people who are
running pulseaudio for the first time because it is in Fedora for the
first time, reporting bugs, these get resolved and then pushed out to
those users who have their bugs fixed and don't give up on Fedora.

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com

Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
"Christopher Brown"

On 10/01/2008, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 00:44 +0000, Christopher Brown wrote:

> > > I know the answer -- He decided to save us from an useless upgrade that
> > > would solve none of our problems. This applies for all package
> > > maintainers who value bandwidth and time of the users more than a change
> > > of one digit in a version number -- my thanks to them.
> >
> > That is perhaps one view. Then there will be the people who are
> > running pulseaudio for the first time because it is in Fedora for the
> > first time, reporting bugs, these get resolved and then pushed out to
> > those users who have their bugs fixed and don't give up on Fedora.
>
> (off-list)
> Which of the bugs you reported against pulseaudio in bugzilla are fixed
> by the new release?

(on-list)
I have not reported any bugs against pulseaudio so I have none which
the new release fixes. However:

http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8

gives some good reasons to upgrade. This is more than just "a change
of one digit in a version number". In any event my comment related not
just to pulseaudio but to Fedora as a whole. Point releases reflect
bug fixes - usually - and so upgrading to resolve outstanding bugs is
something that I and many users no doubt will applaud. You are not
forced to accept these upgrades.

Cheers

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com

Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Lubomir Kundrak

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:37 +0000, Christopher Brown wrote:
> On 10/01/2008, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > That is perhaps one view. Then there will be the people who are
> > > running pulseaudio for the first time because it is in Fedora for the
> > > first time, reporting bugs, these get resolved and then pushed out to
> > > those users who have their bugs fixed and don't give up on Fedora.
> >
> > (off-list)
> > Which of the bugs you reported against pulseaudio in bugzilla are fixed
> > by the new release?
>
> (on-list)
> I have not reported any bugs against pulseaudio so I have none which
> the new release fixes. However:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
>
> gives some good reasons to upgrade. This is more than just "a change
> of one digit in a version number". In any event my comment related not
> just to pulseaudio but to Fedora as a whole. Point releases reflect
> bug fixes - usually - and so upgrading to resolve outstanding bugs is
> something that I and many users no doubt will applaud. You are not
> forced to accept these upgrades.

Pardon me, but I only see mostly reasons not to upgrade a stable
release, such as "Rework ALSA surround sound configuration completely",
etc.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Richi Plana

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:24 +0100, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:37 +0000, Christopher Brown wrote:

> > > (off-list)
> > > Which of the bugs you reported against pulseaudio in bugzilla are fixed
> > > by the new release?
> >
> > (on-list)
> > I have not reported any bugs against pulseaudio so I have none which
> > the new release fixes. However:
> >
> > http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
> >
> > gives some good reasons to upgrade. This is more than just "a change
> > of one digit in a version number". In any event my comment related not
> > just to pulseaudio but to Fedora as a whole. Point releases reflect
> > bug fixes - usually - and so upgrading to resolve outstanding bugs is
> > something that I and many users no doubt will applaud. You are not
> > forced to accept these upgrades.
>
> Pardon me, but I only see mostly reasons not to upgrade a stable
> release, such as "Rework ALSA surround sound configuration completely",
> etc.

That depends on which distro you're talking about and what the distro
progenitors mean by stable. If you mean "stable" as in "no feature
changes, just improvement in the way things run and security releases"
as used by a lot of server distros including RHEL and Solaris, then
*MAYBE* 0.9.8 isn't a reason. But if by "stable", they simply mean it
crashes less or is just about equal", then it's fine to release a
package. Specially if the distro is about introducing cutting-edge
features and the previous release was actually a little short on
features (a'la NetworkManager < 0.7).
--

Richi Plana

Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM
"Christopher Brown"

On 10/01/2008, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:37 +0000, Christopher Brown wrote:

> > > (off-list)
> > > Which of the bugs you reported against pulseaudio in bugzilla are fixed
> > > by the new release?
> >
> > (on-list)
> > I have not reported any bugs against pulseaudio so I have none which
> > the new release fixes. However:
> >
> > http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
> >
> > gives some good reasons to upgrade. This is more than just "a change
> > of one digit in a version number". In any event my comment related not
> > just to pulseaudio but to Fedora as a whole. Point releases reflect
> > bug fixes - usually - and so upgrading to resolve outstanding bugs is
> > something that I and many users no doubt will applaud. You are not
> > forced to accept these upgrades.
>
> Pardon me, but I only see mostly reasons not to upgrade a stable
> release, such as "Rework ALSA surround sound configuration completely",
> etc.

0.9.8 _is_ a stable release. Do you therefore consider pulseaudio to
be stable? I do not and judging from some of the comment threads I
have read neither do a few others.

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com