Old 02-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Neal Becker

Default Not prepared for 4096 byte sector hard drives?

Any truth here?

http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 PM
nodata

On 14/02/10 17:59, Neal Becker wrote:
> Any truth here?
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
> Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

Yep. But you can align the partition tables to get better results, i.e.
don't except the default start value that fdisk gives you.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Felix Miata

On 2010/02/14 20:58 (GMT+0100) nodata composed:

> On 14/02/10 17:59, Neal Becker wrote:

>> Any truth here?

>> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

> Yep. But you can align the partition tables to get better results, i.e.
> don't except the default start value that fdisk gives you.

Don't accept the default value either, or use a smarter partitioner than
fdisk. :-)
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Neal Becker

Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2010/02/14 20:58 (GMT+0100) nodata composed:
>
>> On 14/02/10 17:59, Neal Becker wrote:
>
>>> Any truth here?
>
>>> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

>> Yep. But you can align the partition tables to get better results, i.e.
>> don't except the default start value that fdisk gives you.
>
> Don't accept the default value either, or use a smarter partitioner than
> fdisk. :-)

Does/will the standard Fedora installer act intelligently?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
John Reiser

>>> Yep. But you can align the partition tables to get better results ...

> Does/will the standard Fedora installer act intelligently?

I have seen evidence that partitioning by anaconda is aware of some
relevant properties of recent hardware. Anaconda-13.25 set the drive
geometry of a USB2.0 flash memory device (with 512 bytes/sector) to
62 sectors/track by 128 heads (tracks/cylinder) instead of 63x225
(which was the previous default, using the maximum values).
Thus a "cylinder" already is divisible by 256 sectors, or 2**17 bytes,
which equals the size of an erase block in many flash devices. This
guarantees that an aligned 4KiB block never crosses the boundary
between two erase blocks, and therefore avoids penalties when
re-writing. The downside is that the total number of "cylinders"
doubles, and requires another bit to describe.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Ric Wheeler

On 02/14/2010 11:59 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Any truth here?
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
> Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

We have actually been working hard to take advantage of the information that
these drives export so hopefully this will all work in f13 to make sure that we
align partitions and do IO in sizes supported by the drive (i.e., 4KB for these
drives).

There is still work to do to support drives that don't emulate 512 byte sectors
for boot partitions...

ric

Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Eric Sandeen

Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 02/14/2010 11:59 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
>> Any truth here?
>>
>> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
>> Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives
>>

> We have actually been working hard to take advantage of the information that
> these drives export so hopefully this will all work in f13 to make sure that we
> align partitions and do IO in sizes supported by the drive (i.e., 4KB for these
> drives).

Martin Petersen's comment on the article
http://www.osnews.com/thread?409410

is pretty clear, explaining what seems to have happened to this particular
tester with this particular drive.

Note also this gem: "Caveat being that Fedora is the only community
distribution I know of that's using the updated bits. I don't think
all of them made it into Fedora 12 but I'm sure Fedora 13 will do
the right thing."

Several people have been working hard, from the kernel, up to partitioning
tools and on up to mkfs, to handle these drives.

-Eric

Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 02/14/2010 04:59 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Any truth here?
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
> Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

One-line-summary: googling common search terms for Linux help may lead
you to some out-of-date HOWTOs.

This passes as news these days? :-O

Bryn.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:46 PM
nodata

On 15/02/10 01:20, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 02/14/2010 11:59 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
>> Any truth here?
>>
>> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
>> Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives
>>

> We have actually been working hard to take advantage of the information that
> these drives export

Is this the same information as shown by hdparm?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Eric Sandeen

nodata wrote:
> On 15/02/10 01:20, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>> On 02/14/2010 11:59 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
>>> Any truth here?
>>>
>>> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
>>> Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives
>>>

>> We have actually been working hard to take advantage of the information that
>> these drives export
>
> Is this the same information as shown by hdparm?

I don't know for sure if hdparm shows it; I don't think so. If you mean:

-g Display the drive geometry (cylinders, heads, sectors), the
size (in sectors) of the device, and the starting offset (in
sectors) of the device from the beginning of the drive.

then no...

this info is exported in sysfs for each block device:

[root@host queue]# pwd
/sys/block/sdb/queue
[root@host queue]# ls
discard_granularity iostats nomerges rotational
discard_max_bytes logical_block_size nr_requests rq_affinity
discard_zeroes_data max_hw_sectors_kb optimal_io_size scheduler
hw_sector_size max_sectors_kb physical_block_size
iosched minimum_io_size read_ahead_kb

Many of these values are relevant to that article. Several of these values
are also available via ioctl. libblkid is a nice interface to get to the
values. fdisk & parted make use of it, as do mkfs.ext4 and mkfs.xfs ... etc.

Some (all?) of the values above are described in Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-block
in the kernel tree (or kernel-doc rpm)

-Eric