FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Till Maas
 
Default man-db vs. man

Hiyas,
according to the man-db[0] homepage all/most other major distributions
use a more actively developed manpage suite called man-db, while we only
ship this:
http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/man/

In a package of mine, "man -l" is used to create a plaintext version of
the manpage, which seems to only work with man-db. Could this be a
Feature for F14 to use man-db instead of man or are there major reasons
not to do this?

Btw. I cc'ed man-owner@fpo.

Regards
Till

[0] http://man-db.nongnu.org/
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Hans Ulrich Niedermann
 
Default man-db vs. man

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:53:50 +0100
Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:

> In a package of mine, "man -l" is used to create a plaintext version
> of the manpage, which seems to only work with man-db. Could this be a
> Feature for F14 to use man-db instead of man or are there major
> reasons not to do this?

If you need that feature urgently, you can run

$ man ./whatever.1 | col -b > whatever.1.txt

--
Hans Ulrich Niedermann
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Sir Gallantmon
 
Default man-db vs. man

Couldn't you still do something similar with man-db to get the desired effect?
On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Hans Ulrich Niedermann <hun@n-dimensional.de> wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:53:50 +0100

Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:



> In a package of mine, "man -l" is used to create a plaintext version

> of the manpage, which seems to only work with man-db. Could this be a

> Feature for F14 to use man-db instead of man or are there major

> reasons not to do this?



If you need that feature urgently, you can run



* $ man ./whatever.1 | col -b > whatever.1.txt



--

Hans Ulrich Niedermann


--

devel mailing list

devel@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Ivana Hutarova Varekova
 
Default man-db vs. man

Hello,
sorry for the late response, I'm the man package maintainer and I agree
with the idea to switch from man to man-db. I just sent a mail to fedora
list about it.
Thanks.
Ivana

On 02/12/2010 05:53 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> Hiyas,
> according to the man-db[0] homepage all/most other major distributions
> use a more actively developed manpage suite called man-db, while we only
> ship this:
> http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/man/
>
> In a package of mine, "man -l" is used to create a plaintext version of
> the manpage, which seems to only work with man-db. Could this be a
> Feature for F14 to use man-db instead of man or are there major reasons
> not to do this?
>
> Btw. I cc'ed man-owner@fpo.
>
> Regards
> Till
>
> [0] http://man-db.nongnu.org/
>

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org