FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Eric Springer
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure it'd work for the main Fedora buildsystem, but it seems
> good for personal repos (though I haven't really used it myself).

In my experience, it's only good for building opensuse packages. The
problem I had with building Fedora packages is that it builds against
Fedora at release, rather than against updates (and in my case
wouldn't even run on an updated system). I asked around on IRC and
their mailing lists, but there didn't seem to be any solutions.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Josh Boyer
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 05:04:01PM -0600, Sir Gallantmon wrote:
>Is KoPeR ever going to become available? Or is it an idea that is DOA?

It might become available if people actually tried to work on it. Nobody
has so far.

josh
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

Eric Springer wrote:
> In my experience, it's only good for building opensuse packages. The
> problem I had with building Fedora packages is that it builds against
> Fedora at release, rather than against updates (and in my case
> wouldn't even run on an updated system). I asked around on IRC and
> their mailing lists, but there didn't seem to be any solutions.

You could probably try to rebuild the updates you need within your personal
repo, then your builds should pick them up. But indeed this really sucks.

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Iain Arnell
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> Eric Springer wrote:
>> In my experience, it's only good for building opensuse packages. The
>> problem I had with building Fedora packages is that it builds against
>> Fedora at release, rather than against updates (and in my case
>> wouldn't even run on an updated system). I asked around on IRC and
>> their mailing lists, but there didn't seem to be any solutions.
>
> You could probably try to rebuild the updates you need within your personal
> repo, then your builds should pick them up. But indeed this really sucks.
>

Presumably, this is only really a problem with their OBS. If we had
one of our own, it should be no problem to point it at rawhide (and
release+updates) to build properly up-to-date packages.

--
Iain.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 21:00 +0100, Iain Arnell wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> > Eric Springer wrote:
> >> In my experience, it's only good for building opensuse packages. The
> >> problem I had with building Fedora packages is that it builds against
> >> Fedora at release, rather than against updates (and in my case
> >> wouldn't even run on an updated system). I asked around on IRC and
> >> their mailing lists, but there didn't seem to be any solutions.
> >
> > You could probably try to rebuild the updates you need within your personal
> > repo, then your builds should pick them up. But indeed this really sucks.

> Presumably, this is only really a problem with their OBS. If we had
> one of our own, it should be no problem to point it at rawhide (and
> release+updates) to build properly up-to-date packages.

Well, yes, of course. Also, our non-existent system would have free
ponies for everyone.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Well, yes, of course. Also, our non-existent system would have free
> ponies for everyone.

The OBS source code has been released under a Free Software license, so in
principle we should be able to just set it up. Of course, in practice we'd
have to come up with the infrastructure and deal with the inevitable
question of how to prevent packagers from starting to offer MP3 plugins and
similar stuff in their personal repos due to either negligence (failure to
audit the source code) or ignorance (unawareness of the policies). (I think
this is the main reason why the KoPeR proposal went nowhere.)

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 23:27 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Well, yes, of course. Also, our non-existent system would have free
> > ponies for everyone.
>
> The OBS source code has been released under a Free Software license, so in
> principle we should be able to just set it up. Of course, in practice we'd
> have to come up with the infrastructure and deal with the inevitable
> question of how to prevent packagers from starting to offer MP3 plugins and
> similar stuff in their personal repos due to either negligence (failure to
> audit the source code) or ignorance (unawareness of the policies). (I think
> this is the main reason why the KoPeR proposal went nowhere.)

Right, I was actually wondering about that the other day. How do Novell
deal with it? Surely even they don't have a patent grant for every
patent in the world that extends to anything anyone might choose to run
through OBS...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 23:27 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> (I think
> this is the main reason why the KoPeR proposal went nowhere.)

KoPeR proposal was approved pending more fine tuned implementation
details. It hasn't gone any further because A) I've lacked the time to
work on it, since I've been working on other important things like No
Frozen Rawhide and dist-git, and AutoQA, and all the other stuff before
that, and B) nobody else has stepped up to do the work.

The major hurdle of having koji make use of repos of packages external
to it has been cleared though, that work went into koji recently. So
there has been some progress that helps KoPeRs even if the work wasn't
done for KoPeRs specifically.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Right, I was actually wondering about that the other day. How do Novell
> deal with it? Surely even they don't have a patent grant for every
> patent in the world that extends to anything anyone might choose to run
> through OBS...

According to traceroute, build.opensuse.org appears to be in Nürnberg,
Germany, not in the USA.

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default simple build system for personal repos?

Jesse Keating wrote:
> The major hurdle of having koji make use of repos of packages external
> to it has been cleared though, that work went into koji recently.

I can verify this works. Today I successfully built a custom RPM that is
completely proprietary software using Koji installed on a local server
that points to an external Fedora and Fedora-updates repo. The external
repos just happen to also live on the same local server.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org