Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 AM
Roberto Bagnara

Default Performing a mass rebuild at home

Hi there.

I would like to rebuild all the binaries of the current versions
of Fedora 12 packages (that is, only the latest update of each
package). The reason I would like to do that is to extensively
test an experimental version of the toolchain.

Of course, the trivial "for k in $SOURCE_PACKAGES; do rpmbuild
--rebuild $k; done" does not work, and not only for build
dependencies: once all the dependencies are installed, many
packages still fail to build. What is the right/easiest
way to accomplish this?
Thanks,

Roberto

--
Prof. Roberto Bagnara
Applied Formal Methods Laboratory

Old 02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Matt Domsch

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 06:26:39AM +0100, Roberto Bagnara wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I would like to rebuild all the binaries of the current versions
> of Fedora 12 packages (that is, only the latest update of each
> package). The reason I would like to do that is to extensively
> test an experimental version of the toolchain.
>
> Of course, the trivial "for k in $SOURCE_PACKAGES; do rpmbuild
> --rebuild $k; done" does not work, and not only for build
> dependencies: once all the dependencies are installed, many
> packages still fail to build. What is the right/easiest
> way to accomplish this?

http://linux.dell.com/files/fedora/FixBuildRequires/ftbfs-nov08.tgz
has the scripts I use (only slightly changed since that tarball was
made, and not critically), to do my whole rawhide rebuilds.

That said, these are ugly. They work, but make quite a few
assumptions due to the lab environment _I_ have.

As this need has arisen several times across the project, I think it
would be worthwhile to have a clean method to do this that doesn't
make such assumptions. I simply haven't had time to do it, but would
welcome the effort.

Architecturally, you want to use mock to do all the builds, pointing
at your local copy of the F12 repositories (base + updates) to be used
as the build roots. Then you want to loop over all of the packages
you want to rebuild, invoking mock for each. This is what my scripts
do. Salt to taste.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO

Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Roland Grunberg

I've had to do mock builds as well on packages in Fedora to see how
things build vs. some new version of a build related tool.

Along with chwang, we used the scripts at this location :

http://rgrunber.fedorapeople.org/mockbuild-tools/

They're pretty basic, but work well for our needs.

--
Roland Grunberg

Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Roberto Bagnara

On 02/05/10 15:50, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 06:26:39AM +0100, Roberto Bagnara wrote:
>>
>> Hi there.
>>
>> I would like to rebuild all the binaries of the current versions
>> of Fedora 12 packages (that is, only the latest update of each
>> package). The reason I would like to do that is to extensively
>> test an experimental version of the toolchain.
>>
>> Of course, the trivial "for k in $SOURCE_PACKAGES; do rpmbuild
>> --rebuild $k; done" does not work, and not only for build
>> dependencies: once all the dependencies are installed, many
>> packages still fail to build. What is the right/easiest
>> way to accomplish this?
>
> http://linux.dell.com/files/fedora/FixBuildRequires/ftbfs-nov08.tgz
> has the scripts I use (only slightly changed since that tarball was
> made, and not critically), to do my whole rawhide rebuilds.

Hi Matt,

thanks a lot.

> That said, these are ugly. They work, but make quite a few
> assumptions due to the lab environment _I_ have.

Yes, they are a bit scary, but I can certainly adapt some
script for my purposes.

> As this need has arisen several times across the project, I think it
> would be worthwhile to have a clean method to do this that doesn't
> make such assumptions. I simply haven't had time to do it, but would
> welcome the effort.
>
> Architecturally, you want to use mock to do all the builds, pointing
> at your local copy of the F12 repositories (base + updates) to be used
> as the build roots. Then you want to loop over all of the packages
> you want to rebuild, invoking mock for each. This is what my scripts
> do. Salt to taste.

OK. Thanks again,

Roberto

Old 02-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Roberto Bagnara

On 02/05/10 16:19, Roland Grunberg wrote:
> I've had to do mock builds as well on packages in Fedora to see how
> things build vs. some new version of a build related tool.
>
> Along with chwang, we used the scripts at this location :
>
> http://rgrunber.fedorapeople.org/mockbuild-tools/
>
> They're pretty basic, but work well for our needs.

Thanks Roland. I am currently using the cvscoSRPM script,
improved so as to make it more robust in case of failure.
I am now adapting the mockbuild script.
All the best,

Roberto