Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Frank Murphy

Default How about firefox 3.6 in Fedora 12 ?

On 31/01/10 12:59, M A Young wrote:

--snipped--

>> If you'd taken half a minute to check, you would have seen that it
>> sucks in
>> a grand total of sqlite and xulrunner. Yeehaw.
>
> At the moment it does for you, though more updates may be required
> depending on what you have installed, but you also have to think longer
> term, because the latest Fedora release and rawhide will tend to move
> apart as time goes on, so when the first Fedora 3.6 security update
> comes along you may find yourself having to download most of rawhide to
> update it.
>
>--snipped--

True, but if necessary.
You can always yum downgrade x
Especially if you just need to check out package x.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded

Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> True, but if necessary.
> You can always yum downgrade x
> Especially if you just need to check out package x.

In such scenarios you might find the ``yum history' command useful
since it can easily undo upgrades that include dependencies.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 AM
M A Young

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Frank Murphy wrote:

> On 31/01/10 12:59, M A Young wrote:
>
>> At the moment it does for you, though more updates may be required
>> depending on what you have installed, but you also have to think longer
>> term, because the latest Fedora release and rawhide will tend to move
>> apart as time goes on, so when the first Fedora 3.6 security update
>> comes along you may find yourself having to download most of rawhide to
>> update it.
>
> True, but if necessary.
> You can always yum downgrade x
> Especially if you just need to check out package x.

That doesn't work as nicely as perhaps it should because
yum downgrade firefox
only downgrades firefox and not xulrunner, and as a result the downgraded
firefox refuses to run. You need at least
yum downgrade firefox xulrunner

Michael Young

Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM
drago01

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:30 AM, M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Frank Murphy wrote:
>
>> On 31/01/10 12:59, M A Young wrote:
>>
>>> At the moment it does for you, though more updates may be required
>>> depending on what you have installed, but you also have to think longer
>>> term, because the latest Fedora release and rawhide will tend to move
>>> apart as time goes on, so when the first Fedora 3.6 security update
>>> comes along you may find yourself having to download most of rawhide to
>>> update it.
>>
>> True, but if necessary.
>> You can always yum downgrade x
>> Especially if you just need to check out package x.
>
> That doesn't work as nicely as perhaps it should because
> yum downgrade firefox
> only downgrades firefox and not xulrunner, and as a result the downgraded
> firefox refuses to run. You need at least
> yum downgrade firefox xulrunner

yum history list
yum history undo <number>

Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 AM
M A Young

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, drago01 wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:30 AM, M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> That doesn't work as nicely as perhaps it should because
>> yum downgrade firefox
>> only downgrades firefox and not xulrunner, and as a result the downgraded
>> firefox refuses to run. You need at least
>> yum downgrade firefox xulrunner
>
> yum history list
> yum history undo <number>

That requires you to remember when you did the update, or do more digging
to identify the relevant update batch. I presume it will work, but it
isn't quite as simple as you imply.

Michael Young

Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Mat Booth

On 30 January 2010 22:57, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 22:37 +0000, Mat Booth wrote:
>
>> Maybe but I agree with Braden: I don't think it's worth it. Seems like
>> a lot of extra work for not a lot of gain.
>
> Running a fully updated system, I upgraded to firefox-3.6 in rawhide
> today, and it only updated 3 (firefox, xulrunner, and some other that I
> don't recall) and everything working just fine.

For now...

Really, you should be using Remi's repository. He has a build of 3.6 for F12:

http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/12/remi/x86_64/repoview/firefox.html

But you mistook my comment. That comment was in reference to
maintaining two versions of xulrunner.

--
Mat Booth

Old 02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
James Antill

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 12:08 +0000, M A Young wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, drago01 wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:30 AM, M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> That doesn't work as nicely as perhaps it should because
> >> yum downgrade firefox
> >> only downgrades firefox and not xulrunner, and as a result the downgraded
> >> firefox refuses to run. You need at least
> >> yum downgrade firefox xulrunner
> >
> > yum history list
> > yum history undo <number>
>
> That requires you to remember when you did the update, or do more digging
> to identify the relevant update batch. I presume it will work, but it
> isn't quite as simple as you imply.

yum history list firefox

Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Gregory Maxwell

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30 January 2010 22:57, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 22:37 +0000, Mat Booth wrote:
>>> Maybe but I agree with Braden: I don't think it's worth it. Seems like
>>> a lot of extra work for not a lot of gain.
>> Running a fully updated system, I upgraded to firefox-3.6 in rawhide
>> today, and it only updated 3 (firefox, xulrunner, and some other that I
>> don't recall) and everything working just fine.
> For now...
>
> Really, you should be using Remi's repository. He has a build of 3.6 for F12:
>
> http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/12/remi/x86_64/repoview/firefox.html
>
> But you mistook my comment. That comment was in reference to
> maintaining two versions of xulrunner.

These RPMS still appear to be using an internal copy of libogg and
libtheora which is currently identical to upstream code which is
already shipped in Fedora.

(There are currently some patches for libvorbis shipped in Mozilla
which are not upstream, but they introduce C99-isms (libvorbis is c90
clean for embedded platforms) and thus can't be directly applied
upstream; I'm looking into that now. The other media stuff is probably
too diverged from its upstreams to worry about right now.)

Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Mat Booth

On 1 February 2010 19:23, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Running a fully updated system, I upgraded to firefox-3.6 in rawhide
>>> today, and it only updated 3 (firefox, xulrunner, and some other that I
>>> don't recall) and everything working just fine.
>> For now...
>>
>> Really, you should be using Remi's repository. He has a build of 3.6 for F12:
>>
>> http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/12/remi/x86_64/repoview/firefox.html
>>
>> But you mistook my comment. That comment was in reference to
>> maintaining two versions of xulrunner.
>

> These RPMS still appear to be using an internal copy of libogg and
> libtheora which is currently identical to upstream code which is
> already shipped in Fedora.

Well, you either want Firefox 3.6 or you don't.

I'm not advocating using a package that's not shipped by the distro,
just pointing out where the best (IMHO) place to get it from is, if
you wanted it.

--
Mat Booth