Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Default Unable to start X

Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> TTFN

TTFN? Thanks to F'ing Nobody?

> Any ideas on how to get my desktop to boot

I am using Intel driver and I am also unable to get X to boot in rawhide. I have
tried startx, putting 5 on the kernel boot line in grub, etc., to no avail. I get a
mouse pointer superimposed on the konsole login screen. I can switch to a different
virtual console and log in on the command line, but no X session.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Hi,

> > TTFN
>
> TTFN? Thanks to F'ing Nobody?

Ta Ta For Now - old English was of signing off. Used normally during times of
war so as not to demoralise those back home.

> > Any ideas on how to get my desktop to boot
>
> I am using Intel driver and I am also unable to get X to boot in
> rawhide. I have tried startx, putting 5 on the kernel boot line in
> grub, etc., to no avail. I get a mouse pointer superimposed on the
> konsole login screen. I can switch to a different virtual console
> and log in on the command line, but no X session.

That's possibly a different issue. Try going back to the 2.6.31 kernels from
koji and you may find things are happy. Somewhere like -81 or -174 should be good.

TTFN

Paul

--
It's only me, only me and no-one else.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> Ta Ta For Now

I haven't heard that for a while. Yes, we use that here in .ca sometimes, too.

> It's only me, only me and no-one else.

ditto

Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
darrell pfeifer

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 08:59, Petrus de Calguarium <kwhiskerz@gmail.com> wrote:

Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> TTFN

TTFN? Thanks to F'ing Nobody?

> Any ideas on how to get my desktop to boot

I am using Intel driver and I am also unable to get X to boot in rawhide. I have

tried startx, putting 5 on the kernel boot line in grub, etc., to no avail. I get a

mouse pointer superimposed on the konsole login screen. I can switch to a different

virtual console and log in on the command line, but no X session.

There was some breakage recently with the graphic boot. Try hitting the escape key on boot to get the text startup instead.

darrell

Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 13:04 -0800, darrell pfeifer wrote:

> There was some breakage recently with the graphic boot. Try hitting
> the escape key on boot to get the text startup instead.

This an xorg-server issue or something else? Cause I just posted bout
this issue (see f12 to rawhide upgrade), and ran into same sort of
problem, although mixed results.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
darrell pfeifer

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 13:04 -0800, darrell pfeifer wrote:

> There was some breakage recently with the graphic boot. Try hitting

> the escape key on boot to get the text startup instead.

This an xorg-server issue or something else? *Cause I just posted bout

this issue (see f12 to rawhide upgrade), and ran into same sort of

problem, although mixed results.

Prior to Christmas I had two separate problems
a) Plymouth graphic boot needed to be escaped to text mode at bootb) The intel driver didn't work (even if plymouth did)

Both problems exhibit somewhat the same outcome - you get to gdm login and just get a cursor.
The intel driver problem lasted for all of the 2.6.32 kernels from F12 to rawhide

With the newer 2.6.33 kernels I've seen the both problems come and go. For instance, there were a few 2.6.33 kernels where the intel driver worked as long as you hit escape to get past the plymouth problem.

With the current rawhide kernel (kernel-2.6.33-0.20.rc5.git0.fc13) both problems are resolved.

darrell