Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Dimi Paun

Default Bruttaly sluggish Eclipse performance in remote X

Folks,

I am running Fedora 8 on 3 boxes, all connected via Gb Ethernet.
On two of the boxes (Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4GHz, 4 GB RAM) I've
enabled XDMCP and am logging in from the 3 via remote X. It has
been a rough experience:
* the default GDM screen does not have an option to invoke the
XDMCP chooser, despite the working in gdmsetup. This caused
great confusion until I figured that I needed to switch to
Happy Gnome login theme.
* performance is a bit sluggish, but bearable. However, I have
used in University (back in 97-98) old Sun boxes that were
doing the same over a much slower network, I was expecting
a lot more now, given all the hardware I've thrown at it.

However, the deal break has been Eclipse. I need to run this app,
but doing so is almost impossible. Every time it opens _any_
dialog (find, etc.) it locks hard for 10-20seconds at a time.
Same thing happens when you dismiss the dialog. Of course, I can
see no sign of CPU or network usage.

WTH is going on?!? The app (Eclipse) works very well locally, why
would it behave in such a fashion on the remove X? The delays are
so big that I can't think it's doing anything, but rather that it's
blocked somewhere waiting for a timeout of sorts.

Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated. I think this
is a rather nasty problem/regression, remote X used to work just
fine in the past...

--
Dimi Paun <dimi@lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.