Old 01-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

Default Disabling drm/ttm/radeon module loading for debugging

Hello,

How can I make sure drm/radeon/ttm modules are not loaded,
until I do it manually myself?

I extracted the initrd image, edited the 'init' script and
commented out loading of the modules, repacked the initrd,
and booted but something (plymouth? udev?) still loads the modules..

I'd like to load them later manually, for some debugging purposes..

-- Pasi

Old 01-23-2010, 03:41 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

On 01/23/2010 09:08 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I make sure drm/radeon/ttm modules are not loaded,
> until I do it manually myself?
>
> I extracted the initrd image, edited the 'init' script and
> commented out loading of the modules, repacked the initrd,
> and booted but something (plymouth? udev?) still loads the modules..
>
> I'd like to load them later manually, for some debugging purposes..
>
> -- Pasi

Try adding nomodeset to the kernel line in grub.conf.

HTH

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:41:15AM -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> On 01/23/2010 09:08 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How can I make sure drm/radeon/ttm modules are not loaded,
>> until I do it manually myself?
>>
>> I extracted the initrd image, edited the 'init' script and
>> commented out loading of the modules, repacked the initrd,
>> and booted but something (plymouth? udev?) still loads the modules..
>>
>> I'd like to load them later manually, for some debugging purposes..
>>
>> -- Pasi
>>

> Try adding nomodeset to the kernel line in grub.conf.

Sorry forgot to mention that I already have nomodeset..
It seems it's not enough.

-- Pasi

Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Dave Airlie

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 18:49 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:41:15AM -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> > On 01/23/2010 09:08 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> How can I make sure drm/radeon/ttm modules are not loaded,
> >> until I do it manually myself?
> >>
> >> I extracted the initrd image, edited the 'init' script and
> >> commented out loading of the modules, repacked the initrd,
> >> and booted but something (plymouth? udev?) still loads the modules..
> >>
> >> I'd like to load them later manually, for some debugging purposes..
> >>
> >> -- Pasi
> >>

> > Try adding nomodeset to the kernel line in grub.conf.
> >

> Sorry forgot to mention that I already have nomodeset..
> It seems it's not enough.

You should be able to rmmod them with nomodeset, the driver
doesn't do any initialisation in that case. though you
should boot to runlevel 3 as once X starts the hw will
be initialised.

Then you need to load radeon with modeset=1 to override it.

Dave.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 07:07:22AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 18:49 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> > > Try adding nomodeset to the kernel line in grub.conf.
> > >

> > Sorry forgot to mention that I already have nomodeset..
> > It seems it's not enough.
>
> You should be able to rmmod them with nomodeset, the driver
> doesn't do any initialisation in that case. though you
> should boot to runlevel 3 as once X starts the hw will
> be initialised.
>
> Then you need to load radeon with modeset=1 to override it.

What I'm trying to do here is to debug some kind of text 'offset'
problem when the kernel is booted as Xen dom0, under the hypervisor.

I just tried booting the kernel on baremetal, without Xen.

It seems something is initialized when the drivers are loaded
for the first time (automatically by most probably udev,
trying to blacklist them now and see if that prevents them
from being loaded), because there's a small 'flash' on the screen
when udev is started. This 'flash' happens on baremetal.

When booting the same kernel binary as Xen dom0, I get weird
'offset' to every line of text when drm/radeon/ttm modules are loaded..
(this offset thing happens at the same moment when there's the
'flash' on baremetal).

The beginning of every line moves from the left edge of the screen
to 1/4 of the screen.. and the end of each line wraps to the beginning of
next line. It's a bit difficult to read the screen

Anyway, I want to make sure drm/radeon/ttm drivers are not loaded
automatically so I can load them manually and debug what exactly happens.

Video of the boot process here, showing the "offset" problem:
http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/xen_pvops_dom0_vga_console_line_offset_problem-xvid.avi

Same kernel binary doesnt' have the "offset" problem when booted on
baremetal, so it's some kind of issue when the kernel is ran under the hypervisor.

Kernel is version 2.6.31.6.

-- Pasi

Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 02:29:03PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 07:07:22AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > > Sorry forgot to mention that I already have nomodeset..
> > > It seems it's not enough.
> >
> > You should be able to rmmod them with nomodeset, the driver
> > doesn't do any initialisation in that case. though you
> > should boot to runlevel 3 as once X starts the hw will
> > be initialised.
> >
> > Then you need to load radeon with modeset=1 to override it.
> >

> What I'm trying to do here is to debug some kind of text 'offset'
> problem when the kernel is booted as Xen dom0, under the hypervisor.
>
> I just tried booting the kernel on baremetal, without Xen.
>
> It seems something is initialized when the drivers are loaded
> for the first time (automatically by most probably udev,
> trying to blacklist them now and see if that prevents them
> from being loaded), because there's a small 'flash' on the screen
> when udev is started. This 'flash' happens on baremetal.

Ok, I just also blacklisted the radeon/drm/ttm modules in /etc/modprobe.d/
and now they aren't loaded automatically anymore.

The offset-problem still happens, so it's actually not related to radeon driver,
it's something else.

Thanks for the help!

-- Pasi

Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Adam Williamson

On Sun, 2010-01-24 at 18:13 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Ok, I just also blacklisted the radeon/drm/ttm modules in
> /etc/modprobe.d/
> and now they aren't loaded automatically anymore.

For the record, for graphics modules, you need to double-blacklist them:
blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d and either remove them from initrd (as you
did) or use the rdblacklist kernel parameter to stop them being loaded
from the initrd.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey