FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Steve Grubb
 
Default gvfs causes hangs

Hello,

I have been running into something on F-12 that is really annoying and was
wondering if anyone else is seeing this. When I use kmail and want to attach a
file that is not in my Documents folder and go up one level to my homedir, it
hangs. I can't do anything with kmail except kill the email I was composing.

Digging into this further, if you run lsof, it hangs when it gets to ~/.gvfs:

alarm(15) = 0
write(5, "240(A", 8) = 8
write(5, "23", 4) = 4
write(5, "/home/sgrubb/.gvfs", 19) = 19
write(5, "20", 4) = 4
read(6, 0x7fff9cc98428, 4) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
alarm(0) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {SIG_DFL, [ALRM], SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART,
0x7ff0359ac740}, {0x412140, [ALRM], SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, 0x7ff0359ac740}, 8)
= 0
close(5) = 0
close(6) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x412140, [ALRM], SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART,
0x7ff0359ac740}, {SIG_DFL, [ALRM], SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, 0x7ff0359ac740}, 8) =
0
alarm(5) = 0
wait4(-1,

And also find ~ -name anything also hangs:

open("..", O_RDONLY|O_NOCTTY|O_NONBLOCK|O_DIRECTORY|O_NOFOLLO W) = 5
fstat(5, {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
fchdir(5) = 0
close(5) = 0
newfstatat(AT_FDCWD, ".gvfs",

Is this a defective file system or are a whole bunch of apps needing to be
fixed? Also, do other people notice the same thing?

-Steve
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Mamoru Tasaka
 
Default gvfs causes hangs

Steve Grubb wrote, at 01/23/2010 10:42 PM +9:00:
> Hello,
>
> I have been running into something on F-12 that is really annoying and was
> wondering if anyone else is seeing this. When I use kmail and want to attach a
> file that is not in my Documents folder and go up one level to my homedir, it
> hangs. I can't do anything with kmail except kill the email I was composing.
>
> Digging into this further, if you run lsof, it hangs when it gets to ~/.gvfs:
>

<snip>

>
> Is this a defective file system or are a whole bunch of apps needing to be
> fixed? Also, do other people notice the same thing?
>
> -Steve

Perhaps this issue:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#FUSE_mounts_may_hang
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=493565

Regards,
Mamoru
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 01-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Steve Grubb
 
Default gvfs causes hangs

On Saturday 23 January 2010 08:53:08 am Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> > Is this a defective file system or are a whole bunch of apps needing to
> > be fixed? Also, do other people notice the same thing?
>
> Perhaps this issue:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#FUSE_mounts_may_hang
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=493565

Probably. This really ought to be fixed. If you are in bash and type "file .gv"
and then hit tab, your shell is hung. Running "ls -a ~" also hangs. Basically
any app that stats files in your home dir will hang. Shouldn't a bug this bad
have prevented F-12 from being released? This should have been a blocker.
When I use firefox to attempt to add an attachment to bugzilla and have to go
into my homedir, firefox hangs.

-Steve
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Adam Williamson
 
Default gvfs causes hangs

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 09:06 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Saturday 23 January 2010 08:53:08 am Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> > > Is this a defective file system or are a whole bunch of apps
> needing to
> > > be fixed? Also, do other people notice the same thing?
> >
> > Perhaps this issue:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#FUSE_mounts_may_hang
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=493565
>
> Probably. This really ought to be fixed. If you are in bash and type
> "file .gv"
> and then hit tab, your shell is hung. Running "ls -a ~" also hangs.
> Basically
> any app that stats files in your home dir will hang. Shouldn't a bug
> this bad
> have prevented F-12 from being released? This should have been a
> blocker.
> When I use firefox to attempt to add an attachment to bugzilla and
> have to go
> into my homedir, firefox hangs.

I don't believe it was ever escalated as a blocker. I probably didn't
consider promoting it as one at the time as FUSE isn't used for any
normal native Linux mount. Probably the most common use of FUSE is for
mounting NTFS partitions via ntfs-3g, but I'm not sure that's vital /
common enough to block a release.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default gvfs causes hangs

Adam Williamson wrote:
> I don't believe it was ever escalated as a blocker. I probably didn't
> consider promoting it as one at the time as FUSE isn't used for any
> normal native Linux mount. Probably the most common use of FUSE is for
> mounting NTFS partitions via ntfs-3g, but I'm not sure that's vital /
> common enough to block a release.

The problem is that gvfs also uses FUSE (AIUI, it can work without, but FUSE
mounting for the benefit of non-gvfs-enabled apps is enabled by default).

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default gvfs causes hangs

Steve Grubb wrote:
> Digging into this further, if you run lsof, it hangs when it gets to
> ~/.gvfs:

It is possible to disable FUSE mounting in gvfs, see:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2009-August/084569.html

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Adam Williamson
 
Default gvfs causes hangs

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 07:03 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I don't believe it was ever escalated as a blocker. I probably
> didn't
> > consider promoting it as one at the time as FUSE isn't used for any
> > normal native Linux mount. Probably the most common use of FUSE is
> for
> > mounting NTFS partitions via ntfs-3g, but I'm not sure that's vital
> /
> > common enough to block a release.
>
> The problem is that gvfs also uses FUSE (AIUI, it can work without,
> but FUSE
> mounting for the benefit of non-gvfs-enabled apps is enabled by
> default).

Ah. I never caught that. With that wrinkle it probably would've deserved
blocker status...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org