Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

Default sysconfig ifcfg-* support for running custom post-up scripts per interface?

Hello,

Has there been any plans to support running custom post-up scripts for each interface, after "ifup <interface>" ?

Debian allows you to specify:

iface eth0 inet static
..
post-up /etc/network/if-up.d/fw.start

I'm looking for something similar for rhel/fedora.
Any ideas?

Maybe something like POST_UP="/path/script" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-int

Thanks!

-- Pasi

Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Tomasz Torcz

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:01:37AM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has there been any plans to support running custom post-up scripts for each interface, after "ifup <interface>" ?
>
> Debian allows you to specify:
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> ..
> post-up /etc/network/if-up.d/fw.start
>
> I'm looking for something similar for rhel/fedora.
> Any ideas?
>
> Maybe something like POST_UP="/path/script" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-int

You can drop a script into /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ and check
parameters. IIRC $1 is interface name and $2 is state (up, down).

--
Tomasz Torcz "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl "God is more forgiving."

Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Bill Nottingham

Richard Zidlicky (rz@linux-m68k.org) said:
> > .. just wondering why it's under /sbin and not under
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
> >
> > It doesn't feel very good to add custom configuration under /sbin.
>
> same opinion here. I have actually used this for a while, adds one more thing
> that needs be verified after system upgrades, not very nice.

Realistically, the conglomeration of configuration and scripts in
/etc/sysconfing/network-scripts was never thought out well. But it's
not worth dealing with the historical baggage to change it now.

Bill

Old 01-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Richard Zidlicky <rz@linux-m68k.org> said:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:08:46PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > It doesn't feel very good to add custom configuration under /sbin.
>
> same opinion here. I have actually used this for a while, adds one more thing
> that needs be verified after system upgrades, not very nice.

When I have used this, I usually put ifup-local in /usr/local/sbin and
symlink it to /sbin/ifup-local. This way, I can spot it easily as a
local script when doing system upgrades, etc.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Bill Nottingham

Tony Nelson (tonynelson@georgeanelson.com) said:
> > > same opinion here. I have actually used this for a while, adds
> > > one more thing that needs be verified after system upgrades, not
> > > very nice.
> >
> > Realistically, the conglomeration of configuration and scripts in
> > /etc/sysconfing/network-scripts was never thought out well. But it's
> > not worth dealing with the historical baggage to change it now.
>
> Perhaps there should be a default /sbin/ifup-local script that
> dispatches to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-local/<interface>?
> It could contain useful comments, including that it is by default
> replaceable as its target directory is empty by default.

... which would then try and overwrite any prior user-created files
in that place on upgrade.

Bill