Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Andrew McNabb

Default Mirrorlist problems?

I just installed a new machine with Fedora 12 this evening, and Anaconda
gave an error about not being able to get the repository metadata. I
ended up switching the URL from the default mirrorlist to a specific
mirror, and the installation worked. Now that the system is installed,
I tried to use yum and got the error: "Error: Cannot retrieve repository
metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and
try again". Are there any known infrastructure problems right now?
Thanks.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/

Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Robert 'Bob' Jensen

----- "Andrew McNabb" <amcnabb@mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> I just installed a new machine with Fedora 12 this evening, and
> Anaconda
> gave an error about not being able to get the repository metadata. I
> ended up switching the URL from the default mirrorlist to a specific
> mirror, and the installation worked. Now that the system is
> installed,
> I tried to use yum and got the error: "Error: Cannot retrieve
> repository
> metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
> and
> try again". Are there any known infrastructure problems right now?
> Thanks.

A user in #fedora reported an issue like this with the RPM Fusion repo however his was a 503 error.

-- Bob

Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:

> ----- "Andrew McNabb" <amcnabb@mcnabbs.org> wrote:
>
> > I just installed a new machine with Fedora 12 this evening, and
> > Anaconda
> > gave an error about not being able to get the repository metadata. I
> > ended up switching the URL from the default mirrorlist to a specific
> > mirror, and the installation worked. Now that the system is
> > installed,
> > I tried to use yum and got the error: "Error: Cannot retrieve
> > repository
> > metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
> > and
> > try again". Are there any known infrastructure problems right now?
> > Thanks.
> >

> A user in #fedora reported an issue like this with the RPM Fusion repo however his was a 503 error.

I couldn't recreate, can anyone else?

-Mike

Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:10:01PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
>

> > ----- "Andrew McNabb" <amcnabb@mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed a new machine with Fedora 12 this evening, and
> > > Anaconda
> > > gave an error about not being able to get the repository metadata. I
> > > ended up switching the URL from the default mirrorlist to a specific
> > > mirror, and the installation worked. Now that the system is
> > > installed,
> > > I tried to use yum and got the error: "Error: Cannot retrieve
> > > repository
> > > metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
> > > and
> > > try again". Are there any known infrastructure problems right now?
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > A user in #fedora reported an issue like this with the RPM Fusion repo however his was a 503 error.
> >

> I couldn't recreate, can anyone else?

Could it have been this problem?

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-January/364162.html
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-January/364174.html

The solution Richard Hughes gave appears to have worked for the OP in
that thread, but I don't know the particular cause.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Fabian Deutsch

Am Dienstag, den 19.01.2010, 21:10 -0600 schrieb Mike McGrath:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
>

> > ----- "Andrew McNabb" <amcnabb@mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed a new machine with Fedora 12 this evening, and
> > > Anaconda
> > > gave an error about not being able to get the repository metadata.
> > > ended up switching the URL from the default mirrorlist to a
> specific
> > > mirror, and the installation worked. Now that the system is
> > > installed,
> > > I tried to use yum and got the error: "Error: Cannot retrieve
> > > repository
> > > metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its
> path
> > > and
> > > try again". Are there any known infrastructure problems right
> now?
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > A user in #fedora reported an issue like this with the RPM Fusion
> repo however his was a 503 error.
> >

> I couldn't recreate, can anyone else?

I've got the same problem.
I used the hosts entries in [1] to fix this.
So maybe an DNS problem?

- fabian

[1]
http://digitizor.com/2009/06/17/how-to-fix-the-cannot-retrieve-repository-metadata-repomd-xml-error-in-fedora-11/

Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Matt Domsch

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:16:07PM -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> I just installed a new machine with Fedora 12 this evening, and Anaconda
> gave an error about not being able to get the repository metadata. I
> ended up switching the URL from the default mirrorlist to a specific
> mirror, and the installation worked. Now that the system is installed,
> I tried to use yum and got the error: "Error: Cannot retrieve repository
> metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and
> try again". Are there any known infrastructure problems right now?
> Thanks.

I presume this is working for you again now?

Do you have IPv6 enabled but not routing properly? It could be the
libcurl bug.

Do you get a sane XML document from doing this?

$ wget -O - 'http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-12&arch=i386'
or this:
$ wget -4 -O - 'http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-12&arch=i386'

If not, please send me your IP address or catch someone in
#fedora-admin on IRC and we'll try to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO