-   -   gnome-desktop bump (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/310633-gnome-desktop-bump.html)

Matthias Clasen 01-17-2010 05:55 PM

gnome-desktop bump

I'm going to build gnome-desktop 2.29.5 in rawhide, which bumps the
soname of libgnome-desktop-2.so. Affected packages are:

avant-window-navigator
awn-extras-applets
cheese
compiz-gnome
control-center
deskbar-applet
eel2
eog
evolution
evolution-bogofilter
evolution-conduits
galeon
gnome-applets
gnome-launch-box
gnome-panel
gnome-python2-gnomedesktop
gnome-screensaver
gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-shell
icewm-gnome
nautilus
nautilus-open-terminal
nautilus-search-tool
padevchooser
tracker-search-tool
tsclient

Adam Williamson 01-27-2010 05:00 AM

gnome-desktop bump

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 13:55 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I'm going to build gnome-desktop 2.29.5 in rawhide, which bumps the
> soname of libgnome-desktop-2.so. Affected packages are:

> eel2

I asked on IRC for someone to rebuild this. Warren told me it's been
blocked, apparently by Tbzatek. However, it has live dependencies.
nautilus-python requires eel2, and tortoisehg-nautilus , postr and
nautilus-phatch all depend on nautilus-python. Please, either make
nautilus-python not require eel2 somehow, make all nautilus-python's
dependencies not require nautilus-python any more and block that too, or
restore eel2. Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Toshio Kuratomi 01-27-2010 05:49 AM

gnome-desktop bump

Matthias Clasen 01-27-2010 03:34 PM

gnome-desktop bump

> On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 13:55 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > I'm going to build gnome-desktop 2.29.5 in rawhide, which bumps the
> > soname of libgnome-desktop-2.so. Affected packages are:
>
> > eel2
>
> I asked on IRC for someone to rebuild this. Warren told me it's been
> blocked, apparently by Tbzatek. However, it has live dependencies.
> nautilus-python requires eel2, and tortoisehg-nautilus , postr and
> nautilus-phatch all depend on nautilus-python. Please, either make
> nautilus-python not require eel2 somehow, make all nautilus-python's
> dependencies not require nautilus-python any more and block that too, or
> restore eel2. Thanks.
> --

The current upstream version of nautilus-python, 0.6.1, doesn't depend
on the dead eel. Unfortunately, nautilus-python seems 'weakly
maintained' in Fedora, the last non-mass rebuild dating from Dec 2008.

Adam Williamson 01-27-2010 04:47 PM

gnome-desktop bump

> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 22:00 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 13:55 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to build gnome-desktop 2.29.5 in rawhide, which bumps
> the
> > > soname of libgnome-desktop-2.so. Affected packages are:
> >
> > > eel2
> >
> > I asked on IRC for someone to rebuild this. Warren told me it's been
> > blocked, apparently by Tbzatek. However, it has live dependencies.
> > nautilus-python requires eel2, and tortoisehg-nautilus , postr and
> > nautilus-phatch all depend on nautilus-python. Please, either make
> > nautilus-python not require eel2 somehow, make all nautilus-python's
> > dependencies not require nautilus-python any more and block that
> too, or
> > restore eel2. Thanks.

> The current upstream version of nautilus-python, 0.6.1, doesn't depend
> on the dead eel. Unfortunately, nautilus-python seems 'weakly
> maintained' in Fedora, the last non-mass rebuild dating from Dec 2008.

So, an update: Toshio and I found the new nautilus-python too, and
indeed it builds perfectly happily without eel.

It doesn't appear to actually _work_, though. The app I actually use -
postr - claims to do nautilus integration via a Python nautilus
extension. I can rebuild postr as well and it'll 'build' (it's
Python...) its extension and install it in the right place, but it
doesn't actually work. It's supposed to provide a right-click menu entry
in nautilus when you click on an image file, to let you open it in postr
(and hence send it to flickr). The menu entry never shows up. This works
in F11 (can't test F12, don't have an F12 system handy).

We can of course take the cowardly^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpragmatic approach and
just send a bump of nautilus-python anyway; it builds fine (the patch
needs a trivial tweak) and would at least resolve the dependency issues.
Making it actually work could be, ahem...properly prioritized. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey