Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Christoph Höger

Default autoconf driving me mad

Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 02:07:59PM +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:

> hey there,
>
> i want to patch & build openccs under fedora.
> So I have to do the autoconf/automake chain. No problem at all, but one
> special thing makes me wanne cry:
>
> I see the following line in configure.in (yes its an relatively old
> tarball):

Are you using the same autoconf version that was used to generate th
eupsteram tarball (and same automake)? There are older versions kept in
fedora exactly for such issues.

--
Pat

Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Enrico Scholz

Christoph Höger <choeger@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> I see the following line in configure.in (yes its an relatively old
> tarball):
>
> GLOB_INCLUDE="-I${srcdir} -I${srcdir}/include"

GLOB_INCLUDE='-I${top_srcdir} -I${top_srcdir}/include'

(note the ' instead of ") should do what you want.

Enrico

Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Christoph Höger

Hi

Thanks, I will give it a try, but does that stop the configure script
from setting srcdir to . ?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Christoph Höger

Hi,

it was originally built with autoconf-2.59, which is not available for
fedora as I see in 'yum search autoconf' output.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 04:37:23PM +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it was originally built with autoconf-2.59, which is not available for
> fedora as I see in 'yum search autoconf' output.

Indeed. The idea is that 2.61 is compatible with 2.59, though it doesn't
seems like it is true in your case...

--
Pat

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Stepan Kasal

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 02:07:59PM +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:
> GLOB_INCLUDE="-I${srcdir} -I${srcdir}/include"
> AC_SUBST(GLOB_INCLUDE)

variables like srcdir, top_srcdir, top_builddir, and such are
not available for the shell code in the configure.ac. The manual
does not mention them. (Yes, there is something about having the
available in AC_CONFIG_* macros, but that's not the case here.)

These variables are available in the file _created_ by configure,
specifically in the makefiles.

So, formally speaking, the observed problem with backward
compatibility of 2.61 is caused by relying on undocumented features
in the autoconfigury of openccs.

Let me outline the way to fix this.
src/make.rules should use $(top_srcdir) and such like this:

GLOB_INCLUDE =
-I$(top_srcdir)
-I$(top_srcdir)/include
TOOLS_INCLUDE =
-I$(top_srcdir)/shared/rte
-I$(top_builddir)/shared/comm
-I$(top_srcdir)/shared/comm
-I$(top_srcdir)/shared/filterIdent
-I$(top_srcdir)/shared/tools

AM_CPPFLAGS = $(GLOB_DEFINES) $(GLOB_INCLUDE) $(TOOLS_INCLUDE)

Note:
- the two lines quoted in the top of this mail should go away from
configure.in, GLOB_INCLUDE in defined directly in make.rules
- likewise, TOOLS_INCLUDE shall not be AC_SUBSTed
- some Makefile.am contain
INCLUDE = @GLOB_INCLUDE@
and such; these are redundant and should go away
- $(GLOB_DEFINES) works even though it is not spelled as @...@; thats
because all AC_SUBSTed variables are inherited in makefiles

Hope this explanation will drag you back to the sane world. ;-)

Have a nice day,
Stepan Kasal

Old 01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Christoph Höger

Am Montag, den 07.01.2008, 20:01 +0100 schrieb Stepan Kasal:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 02:07:59PM +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:
> > GLOB_INCLUDE="-I${srcdir} -I${srcdir}/include"
> > AC_SUBST(GLOB_INCLUDE)
>
> variables like srcdir, top_srcdir, top_builddir, and such are
> not available for the shell code in the configure.ac. The manual
> does not mention them. (Yes, there is something about having the
> available in AC_CONFIG_* macros, but that's not the case here.)
>
> These variables are available in the file _created_ by configure,
> specifically in the makefiles.
>
> So, formally speaking, the observed problem with backward
> compatibility of 2.61 is caused by relying on undocumented features
> in the autoconfigury of openccs.
>
> Let me outline the way to fix this.
> src/make.rules should use $(top_srcdir) and such like this:
>
> GLOB_INCLUDE =
> -I$(top_srcdir)
> -I$(top_srcdir)/include
> TOOLS_INCLUDE =
> -I$(top_srcdir)/shared/rte
> -I$(top_builddir)/shared/comm
> -I$(top_srcdir)/shared/comm
> -I$(top_srcdir)/shared/filterIdent
> -I$(top_srcdir)/shared/tools
>
> AM_CPPFLAGS = $(GLOB_DEFINES) $(GLOB_INCLUDE) $(TOOLS_INCLUDE)
>
> Note:
> - the two lines quoted in the top of this mail should go away from
> configure.in, GLOB_INCLUDE in defined directly in make.rules
> - likewise, TOOLS_INCLUDE shall not be AC_SUBSTed
> - some Makefile.am contain
> INCLUDE = @GLOB_INCLUDE@
> and such; these are redundant and should go away
> - $(GLOB_DEFINES) works even though it is not spelled as @...@; thats
> because all AC_SUBSTed variables are inherited in makefiles
>
> Hope this explanation will drag you back to the sane world. ;-)
>
> Have a nice day,
> Stepan Kasal

Hi,

thank you for your advice!
I'm going to fix the package tomorrow.
(hopefully the doctor will let me go home tomorrow )

christoph