Old 01-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Jud Craft

Default how to install source packages?

I've enabled the updates-source and fedora-source repositories in
PackageKit, but how do I, for example, install the source package for
Cairo?

A packagekit search for Cairo returns nothing from the updates-source
or fedora-source repositories, and nothing called "cairo-source" or
anything of the like. Just binary cairo and cairo-devel.

In short, how do I install source packages? Have I missed an obvious
step or is it really unintuitive?

Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Mathieu Bridon

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 18:26, Jud Craft <craftjml@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've enabled the updates-source and fedora-source repositories in
> PackageKit, but how do I, for example, install the source package for
> Cairo?
>
> A packagekit search for Cairo returns nothing from the updates-source
> or fedora-source repositories, and nothing called "cairo-source" or
> anything of the like. *Just binary cairo and cairo-devel.
>
> In short, how do I install source packages? *Have I missed an obvious
> step or is it really unintuitive?

Not sure there is a way with yum/PK, but you can do:
$ yumdownloader --source package

Yum will enable the -source repos to fetch the source package.

After that, just install it normally with rpm:
$ rpm -ivh source_package

Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Felix Kaechele

Am 09.01.2010 18:26, schrieb Jud Craft:
> In short, how do I install source packages? Have I missed an obvious
> step or is it really unintuitive?

I pretty much just do yumdownloader --source foo (yumdownloader is in
yum-utils).
That gives me the source rpm. I can then install it with rpm -Uvh
foo.src.rpm and everything goes in ~/rpmbuild

Hope this helps.

Felix

Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Alexander Boström

lör 2010-01-09 klockan 12:26 -0500 skrev Jud Craft:

> In short, how do I install source packages? Have I missed an obvious
> step or is it really unintuitive?

Have a look at the "fedora-cvs" command. It'll check out the needed
parts from CVS directly. There's a whole bunch of commands for working
with the Fedora package infrastructure. Look through the Fedora project
wiki for more info.

In some cases you can also use the "debuginfo-install" command to
download the stuff needed to use gdb, if that's what you're after.

/abo

Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Paul Frields

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Jud Craft <craftjml@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've enabled the updates-source and fedora-source repositories in
> PackageKit, but how do I, for example, install the source package for
> Cairo?
>
> A packagekit search for Cairo returns nothing from the updates-source
> or fedora-source repositories, and nothing called "cairo-source" or
> anything of the like. *Just binary cairo and cairo-devel.
>
> In short, how do I install source packages? *Have I missed an obvious
> step or is it really unintuitive?

The easiest way to do this IME is:

1. Ensure 'yum-utils' is installed
2. Run 'yumdownloader --source cairo'
3. 'rpm -ivh cairo-*.src.rpm'

The resulting .spec file and source will be under ~/rpmbuild/ .

--
Paul