Old 01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Christopher Aillon

Default Request for remove a package from rawhide

On 01/06/2008 06:13 PM, � wrote:

Hi!
Some time ago I built new openarena package. Unfortunately, after some
testing it turned out that package is broken and prevent players from
playing multiplayer. It seems to me that package is built but it's not
been pushed to repo yet. That's why I ask to remove it from rawhide.
I know I could reverse all changes and bump release once again, but it
will cause completely unnecessary update for some users.
So since it's not in repo yet, I make a request to any admin to just
preclude a package from being pushed to repo. I hope nothing stands in
the way to do so.

You can do this yourself, actually.

koji untag-pkg dist-f9 foo-1.2-3.fc9

Old 01-06-2008, 04:26 PM
"Michał Bentkowski"

It seems openarena has been untagged successfully.
Christopher, thanks for advice!

mr.ecik@gmail.com

Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Jesse Keating

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:26:33 +0100
"Michał Bentkowski" <mr.ecik@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems openarena has been untagged successfully.
> Christopher, thanks for advice!

Hrm. Some time ago we had agreed to not fix things by making builds
disappear, even in rawhide. NVRs must always go up. Since doing this
means anybody who happened to upgrade to your bad build, there is no
way for them to get a fixed build unless they download the package
manually and use a cryptic rpm call. The proper procedure would have
been to back out the changes and bump the build so that there is an
upgrade path.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 01-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Christopher Aillon

It seems openarena has been untagged successfully.
Christopher, thanks for advice!

Hrm. Some time ago we had agreed to not fix things by making builds
disappear, even in rawhide. NVRs must always go up. Since doing this
means anybody who happened to upgrade to your bad build, there is no
way for them to get a fixed build unless they download the package
manually and use a cryptic rpm call. The proper procedure would have
been to back out the changes and bump the build so that there is an
upgrade path.

Even if he'd *just* built it into rawhide and it wouldn't have been in a
compose yet? Someone would have had to grab it out of koji and use an
rpm call to install it.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Jesse Keating

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:04:08 +0100
Christopher Aillon <caillon@redhat.com> wrote:

> Even if he'd *just* built it into rawhide and it wouldn't have been
> in a compose yet? Someone would have had to grab it out of koji and
> use an rpm call to install it.

Sure if it hadn't made a rawhide compose yet that's one thing. However
he said "some time ago" which in my mind equals more than a day ago.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Christopher Aillon

Even if he'd *just* built it into rawhide and it wouldn't have been
in a compose yet? Someone would have had to grab it out of koji and
use an rpm call to install it.

Sure if it hadn't made a rawhide compose yet that's one thing. However
he said "some time ago" which in my mind equals more than a day ago.

Yeah. I'm guessing he isn't a native speaker. FWIW, I looked to see
what the latest build and builddate was before offering the advice. I
probably should have also given the caveat though so others wouldn't
have taken it as "the" solution.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Dim 6 janvier 2008 20:04, Christopher Aillon a écrit :
> On 01/06/2008 07:33 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:26:33 +0100
>> "Michał Bentkowski" <mr.ecik@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems openarena has been untagged successfully.
>>> Christopher, thanks for advice!
>>
>> Hrm. Some time ago we had agreed to not fix things by making builds
>> disappear, even in rawhide. NVRs must always go up. Since doing
>> this
>> means anybody who happened to upgrade to your bad build, there is no
>> way for them to get a fixed build unless they download the package
>> manually and use a cryptic rpm call. The proper procedure would
>> have
>> been to back out the changes and bump the build so that there is an
>> upgrade path.
>
> Even if he'd *just* built it into rawhide and it wouldn't have been in
> compose yet? Someone would have had to grab it out of koji and use an
> rpm call to install it.

Which happens all the time. Please consider that except for scratch
builds, anything done in koji will end up on unsuspecting tester
systems

Nicolas Mailhot

Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Kevin Kofler

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
> Which happens all the time. Please consider that except for scratch
> builds, anything done in koji will end up on unsuspecting tester
> systems

But if you fetch things from Koji yourself, you're responsible for the mess
you're causing.

I fetch things from Koji sometimes (dist-f8-updates-candidate normally, I'm not
running Rawhide), but never without a reason and I can deal with reverting to
the latest official update when needed.

Kevin Kofler

Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Lun 7 janvier 2008 10:43, Kevin Kofler a crit :
> Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
>> Which happens all the time. Please consider that except for scratch
>> builds, anything done in koji will end up on unsuspecting tester
>> systems
>
> But if you fetch things from Koji yourself, you're responsible for the
> mess you're causing.

The question is not "how can I lay the blame on someone" the question
is "how can I build trust in our devel publishing system so we get
more testers and hopefully identify problems before final releases".

Koji is public. You can't safely doctor koji history anymore than you
can doctor a public VCS. If you want to test stuff privately you have
scratch builds. Otherwise fixing a bad build is just a version bump
away.

Blaming testers for doing badly needed testing work, and making their
life harder, is not helpful.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Kevin Kofler

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
> Koji is public. You can't safely doctor koji history anymore than you
> can doctor a public VCS. If you want to test stuff privately you have
> scratch builds. Otherwise fixing a bad build is just a version bump
> away.

Oh, there's a lot of doctoring which can be done. My personal favorite is "make
force-tag". :-) If you screw up and the build fails, commit the fix, make
force-tag, then resubmit the build in Koji and most traces of the botched build
will vanish. ;-) (There'll be a hidden task somewhere in Koji and an untagged
CVS commit and that's all.)

Kevin Kofler