Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Mike Chambers

Default X in rawhide during install

Last week, I said the heck with it and did a yum update to rawhide from
F8+updates. It performed OK but upon boot, x didn't want to come up,
and think the error messages was about version mismatches or something.

Well, just now, I was going to do a fresh rawhide install on same
machine (wipe out F8 completely), but when it got to starting X to
perform the install, it wouldn't run, not even in vesa (from the quick
msg I saw come across), so it went into text mode (which I cancelled at
that time). Would it had worked if I had went ahead with the text mode
install, then tried to get X configured to start post-install?

So, is xorg not fully functioning as of yet, with the new compiles that
went on recently and I am guessing still happening?

This was on a PIV 2.8Ghz w/1G ram, and an X1300 ATI card.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"

Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Adam Jackson

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 08:49 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Last week, I said the heck with it and did a yum update to rawhide from
> F8+updates. It performed OK but upon boot, x didn't want to come up,
> and think the error messages was about version mismatches or something.
>
> Well, just now, I was going to do a fresh rawhide install on same
> machine (wipe out F8 completely), but when it got to starting X to
> perform the install, it wouldn't run, not even in vesa (from the quick
> msg I saw come across), so it went into text mode (which I cancelled at
> that time). Would it had worked if I had went ahead with the text mode
> install, then tried to get X configured to start post-install?
>
> So, is xorg not fully functioning as of yet, with the new compiles that
> went on recently and I am guessing still happening?
>
> This was on a PIV 2.8Ghz w/1G ram, and an X1300 ATI card.

I'm not sure how often the anaconda stage2 images are built, which is
where it gets the X drivers. I'm sure Jeremy's told me at some point
though.

The vesa and radeonhd drivers should both be working with rawhide
though. If you go ahead with a text-mode install, you should get the
abortive X logs in the installed system under /var/log/anaconda, I
believe; it would be enlightening to see them.

- ajax

Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 11:03 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> I'm not sure how often the anaconda stage2 images are built, which is
> where it gets the X drivers. I'm sure Jeremy's told me at some point
> though.
>
> The vesa and radeonhd drivers should both be working with rawhide
> though. If you go ahead with a text-mode install, you should get the
> abortive X logs in the installed system under /var/log/anaconda, I
> believe; it would be enlightening to see them.

Jeremy, any word on above, as to what date teh latest stage2 images were
built, and/or what the latest xorg drivers were included?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"

Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:03:39 -0600
Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.com> wrote:

> Jeremy, any word on above, as to what date teh latest stage2 images
> were built, and/or what the latest xorg drivers were included?

stage2 is attempted to be rebuilt every night with rawhide. It uses
whatever is latest in the buildsystem at the time of the compose.

However the compose failed last night so we don't have new images.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 11:03 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 08:49 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > Last week, I said the heck with it and did a yum update to rawhide from
> > F8+updates. It performed OK but upon boot, x didn't want to come up,
> > and think the error messages was about version mismatches or something.
> >
> > Well, just now, I was going to do a fresh rawhide install on same
> > machine (wipe out F8 completely), but when it got to starting X to
> > perform the install, it wouldn't run, not even in vesa (from the quick
> > msg I saw come across), so it went into text mode (which I cancelled at
> > that time). Would it had worked if I had went ahead with the text mode
> > install, then tried to get X configured to start post-install?
> >
> > So, is xorg not fully functioning as of yet, with the new compiles that
> > went on recently and I am guessing still happening?
> >
> > This was on a PIV 2.8Ghz w/1G ram, and an X1300 ATI card.
>
> I'm not sure how often the anaconda stage2 images are built, which is
> where it gets the X drivers. I'm sure Jeremy's told me at some point
> though.

The stage2 images are built when rawhide composes. Based on Jesse's
mail, it sounds like there have been problems there. The drivers
included are based on the requirements of the xorg-x11-drivers package,
so if there's a new driver, be sure to update it to require the new
driver package.

Jeremy

Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Adam Jackson

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 12:03 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 11:03 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > I'm not sure how often the anaconda stage2 images are built, which is
> > where it gets the X drivers. I'm sure Jeremy's told me at some point
> > though.
>
> The stage2 images are built when rawhide composes. Based on Jesse's
> mail, it sounds like there have been problems there. The drivers
> included are based on the requirements of the xorg-x11-drivers package,
> so if there's a new driver, be sure to update it to require the new
> driver package.

Broadly speaking I try to keep versioned deps out of x-x-d. radeonhd
still isn't in there, but vesa should work regardless...

- ajax